Do you know anything about the Tow-Buddy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RV Roamer said:
Yeah, I see that in the photos. Wouldn't being a "tag" determine that it is NOT a triple tow?

Could possibly be interpreted differently in different states and very likely is down under.

Ah, yes, addng another axle means going through a toll booth would be one axle more expensive.  For our MH and toad we get charged at the five-axle rate.  I agree with the others, what would you gain except more weight and more hassle.

ArdraF

What would you gain other than more weight and more hassel... More bills of course, for more tires, and more tolls for more axels and .. Well, I think you get the picture.. MORE MONEY OUT THE WINDOW.

I finally solved the 5 axle toll booth fees.  Sold the Mh and cam back with just the Jeep.  But it sucks staying in a motel.  JMO

John In Detroit said:
What would you gain other than more weight and more hassel... More bills of course, for more tires, and more tolls for more axels and .. Well, I think you get the picture.. MORE MONEY OUT THE WINDOW.
Just get it off your chest John, you don't like it, right?  LOL

Ron said:
Could possibly be interpreted differently in different states and very likely is down under.
Yes mate, I would have to contact the Registration folks about that one, don't have a clue how it would be recognised.

Shayne said:
I finally solved the 5 axle toll booth fees.   Sold the Mh and cam back with just the Jeep.   But it sucks staying in a motel.  JMO

We are in full agreement.  Took a trip in the GC last January and every motel we stayed in Sam would start disinfecting everything as soon as we entered the room.  Better get a new rig soon Shayne.

Ian said:
Yes mate, I would have to contact the Registration folks about that one, don't have a clue how it would be recognised.

Well Mate I suspect it might just be alright out in the outback where the road trains run but I wouldn't think they would like it in the more populated areas.

Hi everybody... I am just new here and was reading the conversations on the hitch-buddy. I know of something that has just hit the market and is way cool!! I have seen this in person and was amazed!! It is called the "Automated Saftey Hitch" The best I can do is to tell you to go to the website....www.safetyhitch.com It beats this other thing like you wouldn't believe!! For example, the axle on this is a full size steerable axle! It automatically will make the wide turn for you and you can just drive normal. Just check out the site and see for yourself. It shows it with a horse trailer but it is for any gooseneck. To many cool things for me to list it here. Have a great day!!

corrected URL & made it clickable

Do you have any commercial connection with this way cool product or the company that manufactures or markets it?

Looks like another 2 axles of junk to pay tolls on, and something else to go wrong.

Heck! Amazing. Really nice bit of engineering there. I am sure there is a use for it.

Was worried with this claim, it just doesn't seem right to my uneducated understanding about towing capacities...
"By utilizing the Automated Safety Hitch, a three quarter ton vehicle with a regular axle does the same job as a one-ton dually. Approximately $5,500+ saved."

Now how do they work that out? You have to tow the thing, it has its own weight, plus the weight of what you intend to tow. How can you add weight then be able to tow with a lesser capacity vehicle. Is it me or does the math seem out of sync somewhere?

And this one just adds to my confusion...
"With the gooseneck or 5th wheel RV not in the vehicle?s bed, your tow vehicle is now free to carry cargo."

So now you can have a lesser capacity tow vehicle, and tow more weight, then add even more weight into the tow vehicle because now you have more room...  right, that sounds understandable ;)

Please, somebody, step up to the plate and help me understand how this thing works 'cause it has got me beat ;)

Lets say I attach a frame mounted utility tray on the back of my trailer , State of Florida says thats OK, but if I for safety reasons  bolt a single swivel wheel under it to help support the weight, its called triple towing ???

So how does a "trailer"  hooked to the back of a truck,towing another trailer not triple towing ???

Kenneth, while it might or might not be rightly called a "trailer" it certainly fits what I would call a single-axle dolly. Like you, I cant see any way that it would not be called triple tow once you fit a fiver behind it. Maybe the experts have some answers, I have left a Contact message on their site and asked them to drop by and explain things to us.

No, I just seen it when I was in Ohio for the Quarter Horse Congress. It was debueing along with Bloomer Trailers. Quite interesting. The only thing I can say is to contact the people on the site and ask them to explain things.

I found this page with great pictures of the hitch buddy. Anybody else who owns it can give a thumbs up to use it and reclaim the bed space.  Where to buy it?

https://www.heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/1706-Hitch-Buddy-Tow-Dolly

The Hitch Buddy web site seems to have disappeared - the domain is for sale.

The Automated Safety Hitch is a similar device:
http://www.automatedsafetyhitch.com/

There are similar dollies for ball-type hitches as well:
http://www.trailertoad.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom