How to clean dirty 7pin plug on TV and TT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moski147

I just picked up a new (used) Travel Trailer ;D and found that both the 7pin plug on my Suburban and the plug on the TT are very dirty. I thought about just replacing them both  but and loathe to change the plug and cable (single unit) on the TT  if I don't have to. The one on the TV will be changed anyway because the housing has a crack. Is there a way to effectively clean the oxidation and gunk off the contacts or should I just get out my coveralls and start chasing cable? ???

If you use a spray cleaner like WD-40, which often works for cleaning items like that, make certain that there is no power in the line coming from your Suburban side. Many spray cleaners are explosive and a 12 volt spark could be a real problem. That said, I would try cleaning the plugs before replacing them.

Jack

You can simply cut off the connector and splice a new one on if you want, but I would try cleaning first. A tobacco pipe cleaner (basically a fuzzy wire rod) and some contact cleaner (aka tuner cleaner, available at Radio Shack and such) works on the hole end and a not bad for the pin side either. A small wire brush (copper, if you can find one) also works on the pins. If you can't find tuner contact cleaner, acetone will do.

They make a special brush to clean the trailer end  with.. Make sure you disconnect (I mean REMOVE THE NEGATIVE LEAD(s) disconnect, not just the switch) the battery before brushing,  Or you can use a contact burnishing tool (Thin file) of the proper size.

The other side can be wire brushed (Again pull the negative lead on the tow tow vehicle this time) I use a small wire brush with a Dremel tool from time to time.

If it's not too bad De-Ox-It from Radio Shack is about fifteen bucks a pair of tubes, one is cleaner, the other protector.  Use both as directed wait at least FIVE minutes before plugging in.

I would try spraying both with DE-OXIT cleaner.  I usually get mine at Radio Shack.  We use it extesively for cleaning electrical contacts, switches, etc.  It has been around a long time, at least 40 or 50 years and works very well.

Thanks guys, I thought I could clean the contacts but had no idea where to begin. Off to Radio Shack pronto.

I would start with WD-40, And the brushes, then several plug/unplug cycles.

Then about a week later the De-Ox-It

NOTE: when you plug in, take a good look at the cover to the tow vehicle mounted part (Which is actually the plug believe it or not) and the body of the trailer part (Socket) (The pins on the plug go into the slots on the socket you see).

you will see the cover also "Latches" the trailer end in the housing so they don't jar apart going down the highway.

I cut thin strips of sandpaper, wrap them over the end of a narrow blade screwdriver and rub the blades of the connector.

Jim Godward said:
I would try spraying both with DE-OXIT cleaner.  I usually get mine at Radio Shack.  We use it extesively for cleaning electrical contacts, switches, etc.  It has been around a long time, at least 40 or 50 years and works very well.

X2 on DE-OXIT or any similar electrical contact cleaner. I tell you from experience as a retired electronics engineer, if that won't work, nothing else (short of replacement) will work either.

Joel

Back
Top Bottom