Lateral tongue slide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Riverdog

Quite a while ago I saw on one of the RV forums a slide accessory that you put under the tongue jack of a travel trailer.  It would allow you to slide the tongue of the trailer left or right if you didn't back your hitch ball right under it.  This allowed you to get close & do final adjustment with the slide.  Does anyone know what this part is called & where you can purchase it?  Thanks.....

No idea about the slide but I have used one of these for several years and it does a great job of centering the tongue/hitch when I back in to hook up.

EZ Hitch

I recall also seeing a jack "Pad" that had a channel on it with a threaded rod, a nut welded on the end of the rod (or a bolt head)

The jack fit into the channel and had a nut on the end of it which also fit over the rod

By turning the rod you could move the hitch a few inches left or right.  Made it possible to do the lateral line up.  Never needed it on my under a ton trailers.  (Still don't) so never bought one.. Camping world had them way back when  IIRC.

One thing they have today is called, again if I recall .. Well I checked and I don't recall correctly so I won't give you a wrong name...

But it's a pair of rods, magnets on one end, a couple of bends in them.. One "sticks" to the trailer, one to the tow vehicle, and when the rods touch... Lower the toung jack, latch the hitch, hook up the chains and cables, and stow the aids, and away you go.

One other option you might consider.....

You can mount a back up camera in a license plate frame (or for that matter a license plate BOLT) now days

Gee, I never even realized there were things like that out there.  ???  Well, the way I see it is, I don't get enough exercise anymore anyway.  I'll take what I can get.  So if I have to get in and out of my truck a half dozen times before I get close enough to drop the tounge, I've gotten a half-decent workout!  Of course without my spotter (wife), that could increase to a dozen times!  ;D

Over the years I got rather good at lining up the hitch and the ball.. Alas, don't do that so much these days :)  now instead of backing the tow vehicle up to the trailer, I drive the "Trailer" up to the tow vehicle  Much easier

Back
Top Bottom