Tow capacity of 2007 Tahoe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wayno

I am a newcomer to the forum and would like so information concerning a TT we will likely be purchasing in a few months. I have a 2007 Chevy Tahoe with a 5.3L engine and 3.73 ratio gearing. The trailer is a 2008 28' K-Z Spree and is listed as 5057 lbs. Most of our trips will be weekend trips with 5 passengers in the Tahoe. Do you think the Tahoe is capable of towing such a trailer?

Wayne

Is the 5057 the dry weight of the trailer?  If so, you need to give the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) for it.

wayno said:
I am a newcomer to the forum and would like so information concerning a TT we will likely be purchasing in a few months. I have a 2007 Chevy Tahoe with a 5.3L engine and 3.73 ratio gearing. The trailer is a 2008 28' K-Z Spree and is listed as 5057 lbs. Most of our trips will be weekend trips with 5 passengers in the Tahoe. Do you think the Tahoe is capable of towing such a trailer?

K-Z lists your 28 footer as having a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 6800 lbs.  Your Tahoe has a tow rating of 6800 lbs 2WD or 6100 lbs 4WD in the Trailer Life Tow Rating Tables.    We like to leave a safety factor of 10% to account for tow vehicle loads over fluids and driver.  You will have 5 passengers  X 150 lbs per passenger = 750 lbs.  That is more than the 10% right there.  You want a trailer with a GVWR of no more than 6050 lbs. -- 5350 lbs. if your Tahoe is a 4WD.

However, if you tow in the mountain or Pacific west, you are going to need to allow for the high alitudes and long grades, you need a safety factor of at least 20% and should not get a trailer with a GVWR in excess of 5540 lbs, 4740 lbs if a 4WD.

In short, start looking for a lighter trailer using the numbers above.

The window sticker on my Tahoe when purchased stated a tow rating of 7100 lbs with the 3.73 gears, plus it had the transmission cooler already installed. Does that make change any of the calculations?

The Chevy  web site shows 7200 lbs for the 2007 Tahoe 5.3L 373 with 4WD and 7500 lbs for the 2WD model.  See 2007 Tahoe Specifications and click the Trailering tab. Knock 10% of whichever one fits yours and that's the trailer GVWR that Carl is talking about. Knock off 20% if traveling in the Rockies - that 5.3L doesn't have the guts for a long climb. Or the brakes to get down the hill either.

wayno said:
The window sticker on my Tahoe when purchased stated a tow rating of 7100 lbs with the 3.73 gears, plus it had the transmission cooler already installed. Does that make change any of the calculations?

Sure.  Jack up the weights by 270 lbs in the east, 240 lbs in the west.

Thanks for all your input. Most of my trips will be week-end trip staying in Texas. From the last post concerning the 7,500 lbs for a 2WD model, I think I will be O.K. Is this correct?

Well, Carl gave to an estimate that is slightly under the size of the trailer you want.  You are at the outer limits, but if you aren't loaded to the full GVWR most of the time you should be OK in Texas.

And if your Tohoe had a lower rating on the window sticker, I'd go with that. Things like tires and brakes change during the course of a model year and those can affect the tow rating.

RV Roamer said:
Well, Carl gave to an estimate that is slightly under the size of the trailer you want.  You are at the outer limits, but if you aren't loaded to the full GVWR most of the time you should be OK in Texas.

And if your Tohoe had a lower rating on the window sticker, I'd go with that. Things like tires and brakes change during the course of a model year and those can affect the tow rating.

I would agree that the window sticker, which is likely tied to his specific option package, should govern the matter.  If he sticks to East Texas and gets no higher than the Edwards Plateau he should be ok with the 28 footer.  However, in Texas the lure of Colorado in the middle of a Texas steambath summer can get irresistable.  Since he is still looking for a trailer, he might take a look at lighter models to give himself the option of 6000 foot altitudes.

Most of our camping trips will be in the Gulf coast, Hill country and the Pineywoods areas of Texas. I have not bought the trailer yet, but have pretty much settled on the K-Z Spree 260RBS model. I will have to wait financially until around March/April in order to purchase the TT. My wife and I really like the floorplan of that particular model. We used to have pop-ups in the past years and are ready to upgrade to a TT. I am really looking forward to getting it!!!!!!!

Wayne

Hey Wayno, welcome.  You will be traveling the same general area I have and am traveling.  I think with the weights you have described, if you stay within those, and watch what you take with you, you will be fine with your Tahoe.  When you get ready to purchase, be sure and get a good weight distributing system with sway control.  The sway control will really help with the wind you're going to encounter along the coast especially.  I love the piney woods area of East Texas.  I live about 40 miles northeast of Houston, so I'm at a great spot to head out anywhere into those piney woods.  Enjoy, and keep us posted as you get closer to purchase!

I recently went pricing TT and found the one I have described and got a quote. The quote included a weight-distributing hitch with sway control. I basically am awaiting the March/April timeframe in order to make the purchase. I can hardly wait!!!!!!!

Wayne

Back
Top Bottom