What tires for PW TS Excel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rinkman

What I'm looking for winter grips for the unit? I looked at michlin(?) tire bought I was told the sidewall is too soft for the unit. Any info? ???

I'm guessing you mean a Pleasureway Excel TS Class B?? What tires are on it now and do they need replacement or are you just looking for a better winter tire for it? In particular, is the load rating of the tire up to the Excel's weight? If so, I wouldn't worry about sidewalls being too soft.

Yes it is 2006 PleasureWay TS Excel. The tires are hankook LT245/75R16 from the Pleasureway Industry. They are pretty good, but I plan long trip to Maritimes Province and I great tread in winter to. This unit is my primary verhicle. The van is set-up for disablity from a stroke and 6x brain anerysms. The tires I had them rotated and balanced from a west trip to Vancouver Island in June/July. I was told in a forum (not this one) the a rep from Pleasureway told them it's bad for soft tire. Or this brand is worse.
        ron (Rinkman)

There should be any number of choices for a good mud & snow tire in that size and load range - pick up trucks and vans use that size range and need that kind of tire too.  Have you checked with Canadian Tire and similar tire outlets to see what they have to offer in that size? I don't have a feel for what brands of tires are available in your region - or the price range either. Perhaps one of our Canadian members could offer some advice.

Tires designated "LT" usually have stiffer sidewalls than "P" (passenger) tires, so I would not be concerned with sidewall stiffness as long as the load rating is adequate for the weight of your Excel and the tire is properly inflated.  An underinflated (soft) tire, however, will always have a lot more sidewall flex than is healthy for it.

We have Michelin LTX M/S LT225/75R16D tires on our van.  They now have 58,000 miles on them.  The OEM tires on our (Chev Express 2500 extented) van were General tires and we replaced them w the Michelin at 32,000 miles.  The tire noise level was greatly reduced and the vehicle ride was greatly improved.  We do not in general drive the van during the winter months.  It stays in storage.  The times we have driven it in the winter it has handled fine.  When these tires need replacing I will be buying the same again.

One place I like to check tires on is "tirerack.com".  The site posts owner ratings for easy comparison of tires and have a 'tire performance rating' chart based on that information.

Ron,

Hankook tires are perfectly good for your use. They aren't 'snow' tires in the normal sense, but will handle light snow quite well. Whoever told you the sidewalls are too soft had better do some checking on just what a 'light truck' tire is all about - they have stiffer sidewalls than ordinary passenger tires or trailer tires. I just replaced all 8 of my coach tires with Hankooks.

Karl

It might be time to update your Avatar. The way Favre and the Packers are playing it might be this year ;D ;D

Len and Jo said:
We have Michelin LTX M/S LT225/75R16D tires on our van.  They now have 58,000 miles on them.  The OEM tires on our (Chev Express 2500 extented) van were General tires and we replaced them w the Michelin at 32,000 miles.  The tire noise level was greatly reduced and the vehicle ride was greatly improved.  We do not in general drive the van during the winter months.  It stays in storage.  The times we have driven it in the winter it has handled fine.  When these tires need replacing I will be buying the same again.

One place I like to check tires on is "tirerack.com".  The site posts owner ratings for easy comparison of tires and have a 'tire performance rating' chart based on that information.

I have the Michelin LT225/75R16/E 115R  installed from the factory on my 2006, 158" WB Dodge Sprinter Conversion Van.

I now have close to 25k on the clock and still look new!

Do you think I'll get 58k plus?

Back
Top Bottom