Good Sam Club..... Is it worth joining?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tvfrfireguy

I keep getting solicitations on line and in the mail.  Is it worth it.  Thanks in advance.  Dave

tvfrfireguy said:
I keep getting solicitations on line and in the mail.  Is it worth it.  Thanks in advance.  Dave

While we are lifetime members of GS if we were not lifetime members we would not be members at all.  IMHO they really went down hill after the founder sold them to Affinity group.  If you think you are getting a lot of junk from them now just join and you will see a substancial increase in junk mail.  IMHO the 10% off you get at GS parks is not all that great and in many cases you can get the same discount if you have a FMCA or ARRP card and sometimes another park in the area will be nicer and cost less.

Now I highly recommend the FMCA for those that have a MH, the Escapees club, and Passport America.

We have been members for 15+ years and am happy with them - except the over abundance of mail.

Larry

We do find that the membership pays for itself with the discounts on campgrounds and the Trailer Life directory, and have not received any junk mail from AG since we called and asked to be removed from their mailing list.  We do use Passport America more than GS, as it saves us more money (50% off vs. 10%).  The magazine is ok, but not great.

Last time I mentioned GS junk mail I got in trouble with Daisy  :( so I won't mention it again. But, after several calls, it finally seems to have stopped. Had to call separately to take me off the mailing list, then my wife, then the dog, then the cat, then the pet rabbit and then again for "the family". Each time I called, the lady was very cordial and seemed pleased to help. It helped to call the right number (1-800-234-3450) which Ned previously provided.

A number of GS members I've spoken with (and some who have posted here) have said they enjoy the Good Sam rallies and learned a lot from their seminars and other training. I heard more positive inputs from folks about GS while we were at a Monaco rally last week.

Most places we go offer AAA &/or FMCA as an alternative to GS for a discount qualifier. As Ned says, the PA discount beats all three.

Bottom line, you pays your money and you makes your choices.

We've belonged to Good Sam for 20+ years and it pays for itself every year.  If you join for three years at $59, that's less than $20 a year.  The 10 percent discount at GS campgrounds more than pays for our membership dues.  If you're only going to travel occasionally for short trips to specific places and your travel does not include GS campgrounds, then the discount might not help as much as it does for those of us who take long trips all over the country.  Although everyone complains about the junk mail sent by GS, we get some but don't consider it excessive.  In fact, we probably get just as much, if not more, from some other companies.  Of course, we're not fulltimers who have to pay for mail forwarding so the junkmail is not an issue for us like it is for the fulltimers.  As Ned said, the magazine is okay, although we're both able to go through it faster every year.  But then isn't that true of most publications you've been getting for a long time?  Each of the RVing organizations has benefits so it depends on your interests, budget, need, etc.  If you can afford it and think you can use the campground discounts, then by all means, go for it.

By the way, we do not to give our email addresses out to organizations that will be sending us junk emails online.

ArdraF

Well, we've received the 10% Good San discount every night for the last 8 consecutive nights, which easily paid the dues for the year. And we have stayed additional GS discounted nights earlier in the year and expect to stay in more GS parks over the next weeks, none of this requiring any detours in our desired route. So yes, you can certainly do OK financially if you spend enough nights in the RV each year.

We don't get a huge amount of GS mail either, maybe 2-3 pieces a month. Never did anything to try to stop it either. And we take advantage of the GS discount on the Trailer Life Campground Guide and GS/TL Campground CD, so it isn't all junk mail (though you can often get similar discounts elsewhere).

We don't involve our selves in the GS local chapters and rallies, but we know folks who do and they love the social life. If you are looking for somebody to go camping with once a month or so, you local Good Sam chapter might be just the thing for you.

The GS Highways magazine is a so-so rag, but occasionally has a useful article.

Like most we save money on GS campground discounts but do not involve ourselves in the organization.

Good Sam is a good organization for many people.  We are life members and we do not get much mail from them.  We get more from Citibank and American Express, than we have ever gotten from GS.  There are people who need this organization for the benefits, comaraderie, and rallies and who aren't compatible with FMCA, or other orgs.  There are lots of good people there and good things to learn at their rallies.  We haven't become involved with chapters as we've just been kept busy meeting so many of the forum members along the road that we seem to get enough chances for outings with them.  But GS is a good organization for new people to get involved with, find chapters suitable to their lifestyles or locations near them.  I hope many of them take advantage of joining, as it's a great way to meet people and learn the ropes - so to speak.  I understand chapters are being formed for younger families with children to share experiences and outings with.  That is a good thing, as there are too many retired folks in too many of the chapters in ALL organizations.  Perhaps, if none are in your neighborhood, you could help organize a younger peoples chapter.

Whatever you do, all organizations have good and bad going for them, and it's up to the individual to make the most of whatever it is they are in or find  interest in another one.  Have fun RVing as that's what it's all about. 

Daisy

Good Sams. and COSTCO to which I used to belong (and will again if I renew) are good if you can buy in bluk.  Often have very good prices.. But have BIG BOXES (hence the nickname "Big Box Stores"  If you want one bar of bath soap.. No good, if you want 20, great.  If you want a 8 oz box of breakfast cereal no joy, but if you want 2 24 oz boxes, go for it.  Ketchup by the quart, no problem.  Bottled water,  If you don't minde a flat of 36  bottles or so, best price in town.

But if you have limited space for stuff... No good.

John In Detroit said:
Good Sams. and COSTCO to which I used to belong (and will again if I renew) are good if you can buy in bluk.  Often have very good prices.. But have BIG BOXES (hence the nickname "Big Box Stores"  If you want one bar of bath soap.. No good, if you want 20, great.  If you want a 8 oz box of breakfast cereal no joy, but if you want 2 24 oz boxes, go for it.  Ketchup by the quart, no problem.  Bottled water,  If you don't minde a flat of 36  bottles or so, best price in town.

But if you have limited space for stuff... No good.

John:

I believe we are discussing the Good Sam RV Club, not Sam's Club.

Jeff Cousins said:
John:

I believe we are discussing the Good Sam RV Club, not Sam's Club.

Maybe John feel like me in that we get a lot more frome the Sams Club membership than we have received from Good Sam club since Affinity took over. :D

Ron said:
Maybe John feel like me in that we get a lot more frome the Sams Club membership than we have received from Good Sam club since Affinity took over. :D

Not us, we belong to Costco. ;D ;D

Jeff Cousins said:
Not us, we belong to Costco. ;D ;D

We use both depending which is the most convient where we are.  We enjoy more benefits from both Costco and Sam's Club than we do from GS. ;D ;D ;D

Ron,

I think that if you do a little research, you'll find that FMCA is also owned by Affinity. And there has to be a reason that the Good Sam Club has over a million members. 

LeBron

LeBron said:
Ron,

I think that if you do a little research, you'll find that FMCA is also owned by Affinity. And there has to be a reason that the Good Sam Club has over a million members. 

LeBron

From FMCA's website: FMCA is owned by its membership, governed by elected officers and has a national office that conducts its business affairs.
Richard

I can't find any reference to ownership by the Affinity Group.

Press release at: http://www.rv.net/output.cfm?ID=762175

Affinity Group, Inc.
Thursday December 18, 2003
MENLO PARK, Calif.,-? E*TRADE FINANCIAL Corporation (NYSE: ET) today announced that Ganis Credit Corporation and other affiliated companies, and Affinity Group, Inc. (AGI), operator of the Good Sam Club, Camping World, Coast to Coast Resorts, and Golf Card have agreed to significantly expand the marketing alliance which currently offers Good Sam Club members RV financing options.

I think that if you do a little research, you'll find that FMCA is also owned by Affinity.

LeBron,

As a member of both FMCA and Good Sam, I can tell you unequivocably that FMCA definitely is NOT owned by Affinity.  FMCA is it's own organization run by and for its members.  It has no sponsors other than those who contribute to help finance its rallies, such as motorhome manufacturers and motorhome suppliers.

I would like to know the "research" you quote that has Affinity owning FMCA because it is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!  Whoever is putting out such bad information needs to be corrected.

ArdraF

Tom said:
... after several calls, it finally seems to have stopped. Had to call separately to take me off the mailing list, then my wife, then the dog, then the cat, then the pet rabbit and then again for "the family".

I spoke too soon; The GS junk mailers have started up again. I've called so many times and even returned their mail with written pleas to "please stop!", but it doesn't seem to last. I'm sure I'll be thought of as unfriendly and anti-GS, but I'll keep reporting every time they send me more junk mail, especially after numerous promises that it would stop.

Yep, it's addressed to me, not the pet goldfish or the neighborhood raccoons that I forgot to request be taken off the junk mail list. Oh wait, the post office changed our zip code earlier this year, so that must mean I'm a different person with the same name, living at the same street address.

To think that I made a special trip to the post office today to pick up our held mail, only to find another GS special delivery.

BTW I'm not especially anti-GS, just anti-anyone who sends me junk mail.

Back
Top Bottom