Hints, Tricks and Gadgets/Tools --- small ones.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is in the category of 'Tools'.

My own self-bought Christmas present.

As shown below, it is a 38 piece item with ratchet driver and the bits of Phillips, Pozi, slotted, square (Robertson), hex and torx bits. It is made by Husky and has a lifetime warranty (whatever that means). Price at my local Discount Auto Store---- $9.98..

Don't leave your home without it.

I have too many tools already but I was intrigued by the POZI bit, so I couldn't resist buying myself a present.

Attachments

• Husky rools.jpg
    Husky rools.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 225
  • Husky toolset 1.jpg
    Husky toolset 1.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 149
I have too many tools already

Carson,

I didn't think it was possible for an RVer to have too many tools.  I'm sure Jerry doesn't and he has quite a supply.... ::)

ArdraF

Had do do some work "Down under" (Sitting on the ground looking up under the rig) last week.. Grabbed a crafstman wrench set I have and the battery load tester and did the job in one trip.. I think that's a first... Usually takes 2 or more to get all the tools one needs to do the job

Carson, yer just didn't get it. Neither did I  ???

John,
I *DO* get it  ;)
It's not very often that I can get 'under' and back in a single trip with success.
Congrats!!
Steve

Tom said:
Carson, yer just didn't get it. Neither did I  ???

Translation:  If you crawl under the RV with a 38-bit tool set, invariably it will be the 39th bit that you need.

I've crawled under my motorhome and cars many times, usually doing my own servicing. Similarly, I crawl in the engine room of our boat prior to every trip. But I've never needed a ratchet driver with phillips, slotted or torx bit, which are what Carson purchased, in those situations. I doubt he bought them to take under his motorhome.

No disagreement on the utility of a socket set, and the occasional need for a socket not in the set, but that has no relevance to screwdriver bits. That's why neither Carson nor I "got" it.

I bought a similar ratchet screwdriver set not too long ago, although not quite as complete as Carson's. I also didn't really need it, given all the tools I have in my various toolboxes. The underside of my motorhome and engine room of the boat were furthest from my mind when I bought the set from the "junk bin" at my local Ace Hardware store. I have used the set several times, but not under the motorhome.

Apologies if this or my prior response are misunderstood.

My post was in resonse to the "you can't have too many tools"

You also can't have too many with you when you crawl under it seems

Oh, Did I mention the job was a success in one (But then that was to be expected since it's the 2nd time I've done this bit of work, I'm going to have to put it on the regular schedule)  Cleaned the terminals on the "you don't have to do that with this kind of battery" and... What do you know.. Back in business)

(Sealed, side terminal, not supposed to need cleaning)

OK - I have another one.  It's been a PITA to set the thermostat to something cool enough (winter settings) to sleep comfortably in) and then have to drag my butt out of bed in the AM and go turn the heater up for showers and breakfast.  Yesterday, I added an 'aux' thermostat over the headboard so i can set the main one (up front) to 'warm' and leave the 'bed' one set to cool.  Then, when we wake up, all I have to do is reach up and thumb the local one to 'get up' and we can then rest a bit more while waiting for warmth - neither of us has to actually get more than an ARM out from under the covers :).

Got the cheap 'stat' from home depot for about $15 IIRC.  Took about 30 mins to figure out how to do everything ... $10 in thermostat wire ... and about FOUR HOURS to route the blasted wire from the bed area to the heater :(.

But I did get it done.  I'm pretty sure I'll be very HAPPY come Thanksgiving...
Steve

Steve, I think that's the best, most useful hint anyone has ever posted here !! I jump out of bed every morning, turn up the thermostat, and jump back in bed....which isn't easy with a 70-pound Labradork laying on the bed !!

Wendy
Zion NP

I recently had a lot of redo on the caulking on the sidewalls of my MH.  The job the dealer did to fix the non-UV caulking Newmar put on in the first place is coming undone, peeling, cracking, etc.

I started to replace it and found I could not use the hand caulking guns and it just hurt too much afterwards.

I found an air powered caulking gun at Harbor Freight for less than $15 that works great and by adjusting the airpressure to match the viscosity of the caulk and how fast you want to work, I can lay a bead and almost not need to smooth it out.  I did one track on the lower side of the MH, one side in about 10 to 15 minutes after it was cleaned out.

If and when you have to caulk again, I suggest you consider the air gun.  Be sure to get one that fits the cartridges you will be using as there are 2 sizes.

Also another hint.  Push the gun as you lay the caulking rather than pulling.  You can see better what you are doing and you will have better control of the bead you are putting down.  I learned this from a glass installer and believe me, it really does work.

Jim, this one I have to try.  I am the worlds worst with a caulk gun.  thanks.

Do you think that George should have used one of those fancy caulking guns when he caulked Lucy's new trailer? See the photos attached to this message.

Another little tip that may work for you;

This for the filter of your A/C air inlets for rooftop units. Let it be known that I am not too enthused about filtering microbes out of the air flow. When I travel/camp, I open windows and doors as much as I can. There is virtually no appreciable dust in my RV at any time. I am more worried about larger items getting sucked in: moths, flies leaves or what ever could plug up the evaporator.

I am now using an inexpensive filter material readily available where ever furnace filters are sold. It comes in a large size which you cut to size. I guess we can call it "Horse hair".

It has several uses: Any air inlet can probably accommodate it.

Pieces left over make a great scouring pad for cleaning nasty bugs of your windshield. It is probably non-abrasive so could be used on paint as well..... check first.

I will experiment with the furnace inlets (dauber protection). A small piece can probably be stuffed in from the outside which can then be easily removed when the furnace is required.

In other words use your imagination.

Note: This is not advertisement.

carson FL

Attachments

• Filter Horsehair 1.jpg
    Filter Horsehair 1.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 234
  • Filter Horsehair 2.jpg
    Filter Horsehair 2.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 143
continued from my post 158 above.

Re securing the furnace vents from dauber attacks;

Pix one shows the open vents, vulnerable to vermin entering.
  Pix 2 shows the insertion of "horse hair", used during storage. A piece cut about 2x3" will fit nicely and snugly. Simply pull out when furnace operation is required.

This is the first experiment. Any other ideas?

carson FL

Attachments

• Furnace panel.jpg
    Furnace panel.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 240
  • Furnace Vents secured.jpg
    Furnace Vents secured.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 280

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member