EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Hints, Tricks and Gadgets/Tools --- small ones.  (Read 286039 times)

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
Re: Hints, Tricks and Gadgets/Tools --- small ones.
« Reply #180 on: December 09, 2008, 05:39:04 PM »
You missed the point, John
Carson, 
 West Central Florida
Ex RV'er. (1995 Winnebago Adventurer)
2007 Buick Rendezvous, SUV / CROSSOVER

...Logic works like a charm...

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #181 on: December 09, 2008, 09:19:53 PM »
No did not miss the point (Clean blades don't damage windshield)

Just pointing out that there are other related issues as well

Oh yes, and sand/salt is abrasive
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #182 on: December 26, 2008, 02:42:13 PM »
Title:  Symptoms of old gas

My RV has been idle for several months in the hot Florida weather. After I stored it in the Spring of 08, I used up my old gas until it was nearly 1/4 empty by running the Onan generator and exercising the engine/RV at regular intervals.

Recently I noticed that the generator was harder to start and it would take several minutes to settle down to smooth running. (up to 5 minutes). I fiddled with the carburetor jet adjustments to no avail. Even went to checking the spark plugs and other little things. No go....

I remembered that my usual Gas conditioner was long gone. (I use  Sea Foam) Seafoam every time I fill up.

The RV engine seemed not to mind the old gas problem, no noticeable effect. (Chev 484). But the Onan obviously did not like it.

I then filled the tank with new gas and a can of Seafoam; lo and behold, the Onan starts instantaneously (even after sitting for a few days) ever since and goes to  proper RPM  without hesitation.

Morale of the story: Don't jump to conclusions if you have bad gas. ( in your tank).

carson FL

Carson, 
 West Central Florida

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 97 Southwind 35P
    • WorKamping in Yellowstone
« Reply #183 on: December 26, 2008, 07:21:01 PM »
Carson,  FL insurance has a no deductibe windshield replacement.  Did you know that if you change the blade and the arm without a blade will crack a windshield if it gets away from you and snaps back.  Just saying.  The replacements aren't usually scratched.  Just saying...
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

Old Faithful, Yellowstone Association Bookstore
1997 Southwind 35P
Toads: 1997 Honda Accord & 1986 Westfalia
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Mexray

• ---
« Reply #184 on: January 15, 2009, 11:57:52 AM »
lots of good info here...thanks, all
Ray & Pat near Lodi, CA...

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #185 on: January 17, 2009, 09:18:20 AM »
We are currently parked in an area at Quartzsite where we have water. elec and a shared dump.  Needs a bout 60' of hose.  Uphill by a couple feet.  Think about it. 

OK, dump the black, the force etc pushes it all out to the end, then grey.  So, now we have 60' of 4" hose full of grey water.  Here is my trick to drain the hose.  I have a piece of conduit about 8' long, to that I have attached a C shaped piece of steel, 4" across.  Disconnect the hose from the dump, bungee it onto the c bracket.  Then lift it to vertical.  Now the hose has elevation above the highest point of elevation and it drains. 

Rinsing works the same. 

Way better than when I first got here and did he worm dancce, holding up a ^ portion. 

This isn't something you would need very often, but it sure has come in handy this time.

Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #186 on: January 17, 2009, 01:39:04 PM »
Well.... For that job I'd use a macerator pump

Just start at the rig end and "walk" the hose.. That is lift it up high enough to get it to drain

When you have gotten to the sewer end go back to the rig, and do it again

The 3rd time you should be able to disconnect the hose and bring the now open end up to shoulder height and do it a 3rd time

Done this a few times

But for anything over 20 feet, I use a macerator pump and to heck with issues like that.

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #187 on: January 17, 2009, 07:56:23 PM »
If I had one I would have used it.  Trust me.  I did the 3 times walk a couple times, but the raise it and do it one time is faster. 
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #188 on: January 24, 2009, 03:24:39 PM »
This trick is not necessarily RV related, more for people who like sharp knives; pocket, kitchen, anything small.

Is your pocket knife a little dull? Try this; it works.

To put a quick sharp edge on the blade, use a standard one-sided razor blade, the kind used in scrapers, etc.

Pull the blade at a 45 angle with a bit of force applies in both directions (push and pull). You'll be surprised how quickly the edge will be honed to razor-sharpness. If you notice roughness, just keep on doing it until the surface is smooth.

This is not the 'professional' method of sharpening a knife blade but it works.

carson FL (The guy with too much time on his hands; remember I am retired, but busy).

Carson, 
 West Central Florida

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #189 on: January 24, 2009, 04:14:55 PM »
Another way to sharpen knives is to use the bottom of a porcelin cup,  The narrow ring that is a bit rough, like you would a sharpening stone.  Just a couple swipes on each side will usually do the trick.
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #190 on: January 24, 2009, 06:34:11 PM »
Ron, pardon me for pointing out something obvious.

There are probably a thousand ways to sharpen knife edges. My little idea takes into account a bit of science. I am not talking about abrasion, rather about cutting steel.

The razors edge being microscopically thin would have a surface pressure (pounds per square inch, whatever) almost infinite. I believe that a razor blade's edge is harder in hardness factor than most ordinary knives in existence. The edge of the blade will cut through any irregularity on a knife edge like going through butter.
 It will actually shave the surface steel as well much faster than any piece of pottery you can think of.

This is not a revolutionary concept, rather a little trick to fix up your little knife in a hurry; it works, I have tried it on several knives and the results were astonishing.  FWIW.

Can you think of a better, easier way?

carson FL

« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 06:39:23 PM by carson »
Carson, 
 West Central Florida

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #191 on: January 24, 2009, 07:50:37 PM »
I am aware of the benefits of using a razor blade if one is available.  Many folks, such as ourselves do not have a single edge or double edge blade available thus I was only providing an alternative option.

TechDude

• ---
« Reply #192 on: January 24, 2009, 08:47:10 PM »
I heard this one from a Monaco owner the other day:

Radiator Surge Tank Coolant Level Checker
Checking the coolant level in your radiator surge tank, as you know, can be difficult with some of those translucent plastic tanks and who wants to pop the cap off and spray 210 degree coolant all over themselves?

He said that a construction "stud detector" will show where the coolant level is when you wave it vertically along one face of the plastic surge tank.  He heard it from someone else and didn't have one himself.  I'll bet it doesn't work on the metal tank. 

I don't know how well this works.  Don't buy one on my mention here, but if you already have one, try it.  I'm probably going to buy one and try it out.

Bob

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #193 on: January 24, 2009, 08:48:05 PM »
Well.. Ron.. One of the advantages of a blade razor is a closer shave :)  oh, yes, and another is the power fail shave, though the odds of that in this house are kind of slim not days

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #194 on: January 24, 2009, 09:03:16 PM »
Thanks Bob, neat idea to use the stud detector. However, I have no trouble seeing the coolant in the translucent plastic overflow tank on my Monaco. I wonder why folks are having trouble seeing the coolant?
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #195 on: January 24, 2009, 09:11:15 PM »
We haven't experienced any difficulty seeing the coolant level either.  Bet a IR thermometer would work too.

Alaskansnowbirds

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #196 on: January 24, 2009, 10:39:01 PM »
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try it. Ours is a white plastic tank that you can't see the coolant through. The only way to check the coolant on our coach is to take the cap off and stick your finger into the tank. There isn't enough room to get your head above the tank to see into it.
Don & Peg
Alaska/Arizona
Currently located here.
Weather at Camp Verde, AZ.

RLSharp

• ---
« Reply #197 on: January 24, 2009, 10:47:46 PM »
Maybe some of you guys who have clear tanks and a stud finder or IR thermometer could check your tanks and let us know whether this idea works. You will be able to see the actual level and therefore be able to let us know the accuracy of the experiment.

Richard
Richard & Linda
Rochester, NY (summer)
Tucson, AZ (winter)

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #198 on: January 24, 2009, 11:13:37 PM »
Maybe some of you guys who have clear tanks and a stud finder or IR thermometer could check your tanks and let us know whether this idea works. You will be able to see the actual level and therefore be able to let us know the accuracy of the experiment.

Richard

Spring be OK? Too cold now.

RLSharp

• ---
« Reply #199 on: January 25, 2009, 12:03:30 AM »
Spring be OK? Too cold now.

Ron, you didn't winterize properly! The weather here doesn't prevent me from doing anything I want. Now, if we were in Rochester, NY, we would have the same problem you do. I think we winterized properly.  ;D

Richard
Richard & Linda
Rochester, NY (summer)
Tucson, AZ (winter)

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #200 on: January 25, 2009, 03:04:34 PM »
I have two different stud detectos (electronic) neither of them could detect the water level in my fresh tank. 

Just so you know.

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #201 on: January 25, 2009, 03:20:40 PM »
Ron, you didn't winterize properly! The weather here doesn't prevent me from doing anything I want. Now, if we were in Rochester, NY, we would have the same problem you do. I think we winterized properly.  ;D

Richard

I have to agree with you that winterizing the way we did this year is not as easy or as pleasent as it has been in years past.  Still BEST WAY to winterize is DRIVE SOUTH. ;D

RLSharp

• ---
« Reply #202 on: January 25, 2009, 05:21:35 PM »
I just tried an experiment on my fresh water tank which is translucent and I can see the actual water lever. Using my IR remote reading thermometer, I can definitely detect the water level in the tank. The tank is about 2F cooler at the water level than the plastic above the water level. I don't see why this technique wouldn't work on a radiator tank, especially if the engine has been run so that the fluid is warmer than ambient temperature.

Richard
Richard & Linda
Rochester, NY (summer)
Tucson, AZ (winter)

Ray D

• ---
  • Jasper
« Reply #203 on: January 25, 2009, 05:51:45 PM »
I, also, used my IR to check the translucent water tank, to confirm that the IR was reading the correct level. It was within a quarter inch. I did that to confirm that I was really reading the level correctly in my opaque gray and brown holding tanks. Can't think of a reason why it woud not read the correct level on a radiator overflow tank.

Ray D
Boise, Idaho. U.S.A.F. Vet. Damon Challenger, Workhorse/Vortec, 2005 towing a Suzuki XL-7, 2003.

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #204 on: February 16, 2009, 03:13:11 PM »
This little post may address a problem that has been lingering in past posts.

It pertains to an erroneous reading of the LP (Propane) tank on the indicator panel inside the RV.

I have been plagued with this problem for some time and think I found the problem.

My LED indicator showed "Full" at all times for some time now. The first thing I did was wiggle on the wires on the tank sender (see pix below). That did not seem to fix it. My next step was to do a thorough cleaning job of the contacts, using a scraper (knife) on both sides of the contacts on the sending unit. A few rapid movements of the connector, on -off-, several times, cleared the problem. An application of some sort of chemical (de-oxid) probably will help too.

The terminals involved are subject to a lot of road grime etc. and after a few years they become very oxidized.

To check yours, when the terminals are disconnected, the LED indicator will read "Full". As the tank empties, the resistance, ohms, in the sensor will decrease and, hopefully, will start to indicate the proper volume of LPG in your tank.

carson FL

Carson, 
 West Central Florida

S J Strait

• ---
  • 2004 ford f250 deisel 27' 2007 freedom spirit
« Reply #205 on: March 04, 2009, 05:54:58 AM »
Two other things along this same line.. ONE, I have seen windshields get so hot the wiper was damaged.

And two... Replace the blades every once in a while.

I like to use alcohol wipes found at drug store. couple of swipes once in awhile and there just like new. in between regular changes of course.
Steve,Lisa and the rest of the Strait gang.
The Adirondacks park is our back yard.

Rex

• ---
« Reply #206 on: March 04, 2009, 06:46:01 PM »
Carson, you might want to put some dielectric greese on those connections.

Rex
2001 Monaco 40' Diplomat being pushed by an 08 Honda CRV

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #207 on: March 05, 2009, 03:52:08 AM »
Thanx Rex, after the a/m cleaning I indeed applied d/e grease, even filled the small connectors with the grease to prevent further water entry.  System is working fine now.

carson FL

Carson, 
 West Central Florida

S J Strait

• ---
  • 2004 ford f250 deisel 27' 2007 freedom spirit
« Reply #208 on: March 05, 2009, 01:30:17 PM »
I am not sure if this counts. but here goes. I have this wind chim made of a tin cup band silver ware that I hang off the awning outside my bed room window.If it starts making lots of noise I know to get up and bring in the awning.
Steve,Lisa and the rest of the Strait gang.
The Adirondacks park is our back yard.

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #209 on: March 05, 2009, 02:02:06 PM »
A minor hint, a new Teflon grease I found today while trying to repair one of my swimming pool vales.

It is touted to be used for Motors, O-Rings, Gaskets, Bearings, Water filters. It is waterproof, indoors and out. Temperature range of 0F to 425F. (So it says on the back).

It is obviously meant for my pool valve and other things.

The one ounce tube will probably last me forever. ($3.50).

How can I use it on my RV?   Not too much, but here is what I did. During my occasional tire pressure check of my tires, I applied a dab of the grease to my metal tire valve covers and threads; there is a small rubber washer inside; the threads are usually rough and grimy and that bit of Teflon grease would not do any harm, in my opinion. I used a Q-tip to apply a bit of the grease into the valve caps. I found a distinct difference in replacing the caps and was more assured that the rubber seal would be more protected.

FWIW, the product can be found in your local pool supply store.

see pix below

carson FL

Carson, 
 West Central Florida

Hosted by Over The Network