Hints, Tricks and Gadgets/Tools --- small ones.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No did not miss the point (Clean blades don't damage windshield)

Just pointing out that there are other related issues as well

Oh yes, and sand/salt is abrasive

Title:  Symptoms of old gas

My RV has been idle for several months in the hot Florida weather. After I stored it in the Spring of 08, I used up my old gas until it was nearly 1/4 empty by running the Onan generator and exercising the engine/RV at regular intervals.

Recently I noticed that the generator was harder to start and it would take several minutes to settle down to smooth running. (up to 5 minutes). I fiddled with the carburetor jet adjustments to no avail. Even went to checking the spark plugs and other little things. No go....

I remembered that my usual Gas conditioner was long gone. (I use  Sea Foam) Seafoam every time I fill up.

The RV engine seemed not to mind the old gas problem, no noticeable effect. (Chev 484). But the Onan obviously did not like it.

I then filled the tank with new gas and a can of Seafoam; lo and behold, the Onan starts instantaneously (even after sitting for a few days) ever since and goes to  proper RPM  without hesitation.

Morale of the story: Don't jump to conclusions if you have bad gas. ( in your tank).

carson FL

Carson,  FL insurance has a no deductibe windshield replacement.  Did you know that if you change the blade and the arm without a blade will crack a windshield if it gets away from you and snaps back.  Just saying.  The replacements aren't usually scratched.  Just saying...

We are currently parked in an area at Quartzsite where we have water. elec and a shared dump.  Needs a bout 60' of hose.  Uphill by a couple feet.  Think about it. 

OK, dump the black, the force etc pushes it all out to the end, then grey.  So, now we have 60' of 4" hose full of grey water.  Here is my trick to drain the hose.  I have a piece of conduit about 8' long, to that I have attached a C shaped piece of steel, 4" across.  Disconnect the hose from the dump, bungee it onto the c bracket.  Then lift it to vertical.  Now the hose has elevation above the highest point of elevation and it drains. 

Rinsing works the same. 

Way better than when I first got here and did he worm dancce, holding up a ^ portion. 

This isn't something you would need very often, but it sure has come in handy this time.

Well.... For that job I'd use a macerator pump

Just start at the rig end and "walk" the hose.. That is lift it up high enough to get it to drain

When you have gotten to the sewer end go back to the rig, and do it again

The 3rd time you should be able to disconnect the hose and bring the now open end up to shoulder height and do it a 3rd time

Done this a few times

But for anything over 20 feet, I use a macerator pump and to heck with issues like that.

If I had one I would have used it.  Trust me.  I did the 3 times walk a couple times, but the raise it and do it one time is faster. 

This trick is not necessarily RV related, more for people who like sharp knives; pocket, kitchen, anything small.

Is your pocket knife a little dull? Try this; it works.

To put a quick sharp edge on the blade, use a standard one-sided razor blade, the kind used in scrapers, etc.

Pull the blade at a 45? angle with a bit of force applies in both directions (push and pull). You'll be surprised how quickly the edge will be honed to razor-sharpness. If you notice roughness, just keep on doing it until the surface is smooth.

This is not the 'professional' method of sharpening a knife blade but it works.

carson FL (The guy with too much time on his hands; remember I am retired, but busy).

Another way to sharpen knives is to use the bottom of a porcelin cup,  The narrow ring that is a bit rough, like you would a sharpening stone.  Just a couple swipes on each side will usually do the trick.

Ron, pardon me for pointing out something obvious.

There are probably a thousand ways to sharpen knife edges. My little idea takes into account a bit of science. I am not talking about abrasion, rather about cutting steel.

The razors edge being microscopically thin would have a surface pressure (pounds per square inch, whatever) almost infinite. I believe that a razor blade's edge is harder in hardness factor than most ordinary knives in existence. The edge of the blade will cut through any irregularity on a knife edge like going through butter.
It will actually shave the surface steel as well much faster than any piece of pottery you can think of.

This is not a revolutionary concept, rather a little trick to fix up your little knife in a hurry; it works, I have tried it on several knives and the results were astonishing.  FWIW.

Can you think of a better, easier way?

carson FL

I am aware of the benefits of using a razor blade if one is available.  Many folks, such as ourselves do not have a single edge or double edge blade available thus I was only providing an alternative option.

I heard this one from a Monaco owner the other day:

Radiator Surge Tank Coolant Level Checker
Checking the coolant level in your radiator surge tank, as you know, can be difficult with some of those translucent plastic tanks and who wants to pop the cap off and spray 210 degree coolant all over themselves?

He said that a construction "stud detector" will show where the coolant level is when you wave it vertically along one face of the plastic surge tank.  He heard it from someone else and didn't have one himself.  I'll bet it doesn't work on the metal tank. 

I don't know how well this works.  Don't buy one on my mention here, but if you already have one, try it.  I'm probably going to buy one and try it out.

Bob

Well.. Ron.. One of the advantages of a blade razor is a closer shave :)  oh, yes, and another is the power fail shave, though the odds of that in this house are kind of slim not days

Thanks Bob, neat idea to use the stud detector. However, I have no trouble seeing the coolant in the translucent plastic overflow tank on my Monaco. I wonder why folks are having trouble seeing the coolant?

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try it. Ours is a white plastic tank that you can't see the coolant through. The only way to check the coolant on our coach is to take the cap off and stick your finger into the tank. There isn't enough room to get your head above the tank to see into it.

RLSharp said:
Maybe some of you guys who have clear tanks and a stud finder or IR thermometer could check your tanks and let us know whether this idea works. You will be able to see the actual level and therefore be able to let us know the accuracy of the experiment.

Richard

Spring be OK? Too cold now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom