Hints, Tricks and Gadgets/Tools --- small ones.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is by far the best topic I have come across on the forums for general information. Thanx everyone.

Myself being a noob, I really only have one thing to contribute to date and that is (this really is for new newbies) Dont for one milisecond think that you dont have to drain your hot water tank completely when winterizing your rig... I just learned the hard way that the bloody think will freeze and crack at the weakest point.  :'(

Now that I've said my piece, back to cleaning up the mess and re-installing the freshly repaired tank...  :mad:

Dave
AB Canada

Keep a compressed air horn within reach of your entrance door.  It will scare off a bear or other intruding wildlife, signal others to an emergency if need be, make an unwanted person back up so you can slam and lock the door, etc..  Great for tenters and hikers too.  Again, for scaring off wildlife, but also for people to find you if you get lost.

Example: http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0037806018252a.shtml  They sell the horns that run off of a can of compressed gas at boating supply stores also.

I saw it used a few week back around 1am when a bear trundled into a campground looking for food.  It scared away the bear and woke up people in the area quickly so they could take precautions.

Gottasmilealot said:
Keep a compressed air horn within reach of your entrance door. 

That could probably come in handy for a lot of things - tornado warning, scare off wildlife, announce to the people around you that you have an emergency, chase away your spouse......

Wendy

Have carried small air horn for years(since bear in camp :eek:) and also LARGE cow bell.  As long as the bear leaves don't care if I wake up the neighboors. ;D ;D ;D

Have you suffered from water intrusion of some sort or another? Is there a mildew smell-or worse visible mildew or mold? Purchase a small bottle of "Tea Tree" oil and a small spray bottle (both available at Wally World). Put two capfuls in the sprayer and fill with water (you can adjust the strength). Spray the area in question or go through the coach with it. On the surfaces that don't absorb it, let it sit for a few minutes before wiping it down. We've never had fabric or leather damaged by this concoction. It may take a couple of applications; but boy does it work!

We do a lot of 'dry' camping and have a VERY low weight allowance.  We try for multi-purpose whenever possible.  So when I was looking for a light weight - non elec. - blender/mixer (needed for mixing dehydrated egg white powder) had a "BRIGHT" idea.  Why not add a beater & whisk to my already on board hand drill.  Works Great !! Only adds a few ounces - works a lot better than the 'cheapy' egg beater - double duty. ;D ;D ;D

Attachments

• IMG_2682 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2682 (Small).JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 187
Clever, Kate!

This is a good example of what that Plato guy was talking about when he said 'necessity is the mother of invention'.  (Or something like that)

Need helpfull hint - I am 'brand new' to RV'ing sorry to say my most difficult challenge has been; How do you clean coffee grounds from the perminant coffee(non disposable) filter, after dumping the majority in the trash I cannot rinse the remaining grounds into the sink?
Thanks CC

Let me give this a try...

I suppose you have a filter made out of what seems to be metal, fine mesh.
Fill your sink or pot with hot water, add a detergent (409) or dish wash soap and just let it soak over night.  Next morning use the garden hose with a strong spray to clean out the filter. It's the oil in the coffee grounds that tend to stick and plug it up. Best I can think of.

This advise is free of charge.  ;D

By the way, welcome aboard.

carson FL

Beaches_CC said:
Need helpfull hint -  How do you clean coffee grounds from the perminant coffee(non disposable) filter, after dumping the majority in the trash I cannot rinse the remaining grounds into the sink?

My hint - leave metal filter at home and use the disposable filters in the RV.

Don't spend a lot of effort trying to determine why it hurts when you slap yourself in the forehead....just stop slapping..  ;) ::) ??? ;D

Why not rinse it in the sink?  Coffee grounds are biodegradable and won't harm the holding tank or whatever sewer system you dump into.

Ned:

Ned said:
Why not rinse it in the sink?  Coffee grounds are biodegradable and won't harm the holding tank or whatever sewer system you dump into.

I beg to differ.  Don't know about modern technology, but do know that coffee grounds may be biodegradable, but if so, it takes years  and do help to fill septic systems quickly.  Especially if they have leach fields, which most older ones do. 

I go along with Lou.  Use a paper filter, even if you have to insert it inside the metal one.  "Double filtration don't 'ja know"  :D

Daisy

I first thought this was a major problem, scientifically speaking.  ;)

A plugged metal filter that would not pass the necessary wake-up potion

It turned out to be on how to discard coffee grounds.  See my first post here

I don't know how to answer that.. I just put the grounds in the garbage bag and the rinse the remainder .05% of grounds into the sink.

Maybe I can learn something here.. ;D First time posters sometimes have interesting questions.

Was this a ruse?
carson FL

carson FL

Found something cool at local hardware store.  S-biner,  Made by Nite-ize, you can google it.  I picked up the 10 lb rated, it is a carabiner, but with 2 hooks, find it handy for many uses.  They have another that is pretty cool, I have had a use in the past, but nothing right now.  Called a figure 9, a carabiner, with a rope wedge.  Good for tent guys. 

They have a pretty extensive product line, lots of outdoor stuff.  The s-biners are great though, probably pick up another few.

Sears is having a closeout sale on 4 gallon, 125 psi pancake air compressors that are pretty compact and will fit into a basement compartment. Normally $169 and now $99. You can use it around the house and also use it for filling your RV tires.

stratus225 said:
This is by far the best topic I have come across on the forums for general information. Thanx everyone.

Myself being a noob, I really only have one thing to contribute to date and that is (this really is for new newbies) Dont for one milisecond think that you dont have to drain your hot water tank completely when winterizing your rig... I just learned the hard way that the bloody think will freeze and crack at the weakest point.  :'(

Now that I've said my piece, back to cleaning up the mess and re-installing the freshly repaired tank...   :mad:

Dave
AB Canada

Don't forget the adapter for the freshwater connection that allows you to pump air through the water pipes to remove lingering moisture. Man am I glad that I don't winterize anymore.

Also have you tried a small space heater in the RV? You just have to keep it  above freezing.

On the back of our travel trailer, on the bumper,  I mounted a 6'' pvc pipe that runs the lateral length of the trailer... I store our sewer connection lines in it... This not only stores it outside the camper (as opposed to a storage bin on the exterior, but is stil on the interior of the camper) but it allow it to dry out completely, lessening the bacterial growth that is present...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom