EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Hints, Tricks and Gadgets/Tools --- small ones.  (Read 278358 times)

broncobilly

• ---
Re: Hints, Tricks and Gadgets/Tools --- small ones.
« Reply #270 on: January 20, 2010, 02:01:31 PM »
I have a question concerning batteries, i am taking delivery of my new Outback trailer this friday and I am considering upgrading my batteries from 1-12 volt to 2- 6 volt batteries. I have read a little about this and it seems to make sense. I do plan on a ton of dry camping so is this the way I should go?     any help would be appreciated, Thanks, bb.

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 97 Southwind 35P
    • WorKamping in Yellowstone
« Reply #271 on: January 20, 2010, 03:56:49 PM »
I might consider changing when the 12v needs replacing, not sure I would do it right away.  How long will you be boondocking? 
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

Old Faithful, Yellowstone Association Bookstore
1997 Southwind 35P
Toads: 1997 Honda Accord & 1986 Westfalia
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #272 on: January 20, 2010, 05:02:54 PM »
Broncobilly,    just a few thoughts... not knowing what your experiences are with battery usage.

2- 6 Volt batteries are a step up from from a single12 V battery. Its definitely better but  not sensational. Depending on your daily power usage, battery power may vary considerably.

You mentioned a ton of boondocking. Think a day or two of usable power (or less), not much more. The secret is to to have a re-charging source at your disposal (generator) to replace those precious amps that you use every day. Solar arrays are ok but only if the Sun shines bright on the panels every day, and a lot.

Once your batteries run low on power it takes a long time to recharge them.

IMHO,   carson FL

Carson, 
 West Central Florida
Ex RV'er. (1995 Winnebago Adventurer)
2007 Buick Rendezvous, SUV / CROSSOVER

...Logic works like a charm...

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #273 on: January 21, 2010, 11:16:27 AM »
One thing to remember... There are no six volt batteries in RV's.  Just 2 piece 12 volt batteries (Yes, each piece is six volts)

I say this because if you think of the pair, joined properly together, as a single 12 volt battery.. Most all your 6/12 questions self-answer.

Now, the pair, if the standard size, is about 220 amp hours, that gives you about 1 KWH of usable power per charge (Rounding shamelessly here)  This is as opposed to a single 12 volt which can be as low as 75 amp hours (G-24) to 105 (G-31)

Recharge time is dependent on the size of your converter for the first (BULK) stage, if you upgrade your batteries you might consider an upgrade to a larger converter,  A pair of U-2200's (Interstate's golf car offering) can suck 60 amps no problem,  A bit more in fact, so converters in the 60-70 amp range work well, even an 80 amp is good if it's a motor home with an intellegent battery control (Mine has an 80)

Make sure you get a good 3-stage converter.. There are several which are good.. Progressive Dynamics 9200 series is my choice but Xantrex, WFFCO, and several other comanies make very good units as well... There is no single "Best" it's a group, and a large one.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

broncobilly

• ---
« Reply #274 on: January 22, 2010, 01:00:33 PM »
Thanks for the replies, our trailer arrived today , if anyone is considering making a purchase and having their trailer delivered I can say that we are very pleased. The driver arrived this morning and our trailer is all that we hoped it would be. We were given a walk thru right in our driveway and shown all about the trailer. A big thanks to Duane who delivered our trailer and to all the staff at Lakeshore rv for making the purchase so smooth and making our dream of rving come true.!!    We did not have the time to upgrade the batteries before our trailer shipped but I am going to look locally to see if I can find the batteries. Time to go play with the new toy!!

Supreme Oppressor

• ---
« Reply #275 on: January 22, 2010, 05:40:16 PM »
Inexpensive and easy stabilizer. Only 2 peices of angle iron and 4 C-clamps.  I have something similar and it works great.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/camping-rvs/85594-best-rv-mod-ever.html
Me (Steve), Wife, 2 beautiful daughters, 2 cats & a dog.
2004 30.5bhs Jayco Jayflight 5th wheel
2006 F350 CC LWB SRW

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #276 on: January 22, 2010, 09:02:47 PM »
posting links to members only forums doesn't work too well.  Can you explain the trick?
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Supreme Oppressor

• ---
« Reply #277 on: January 23, 2010, 04:27:13 PM »
Sorry. Link worked when I tested it, but I since I am a member I guess it would. ::)

Here is a picture.

These are angle fence posts from a tractor supply place held on with 4 C-clamps.  It does make a noticeable difference and takes about a minute to install.

Credit for this goes to tubular031 over on powerstroke.org

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/GR-hvq7FSc5bjRwouIGtoA?authkey=Gv1sRgCP2poIzN46GdBA&feat=embedwebsite

Admin edit: Inline images are disabled.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 05:22:12 PM by Tom »
Me (Steve), Wife, 2 beautiful daughters, 2 cats & a dog.
2004 30.5bhs Jayco Jayflight 5th wheel
2006 F350 CC LWB SRW

burgiebill

• ---
« Reply #278 on: January 23, 2010, 11:25:47 PM »
We just purchased a m/h and looking around I see lots of 12 volt connectors exposed to the elements. Is there something you can spray on these connectors to prevent corrosion? Make sure they have the best connection possible, bill

I did post this elsewhere and reading this forum thought it would be better here.
2009 Class A Hurricane by Four Winds (Thor) 36'  3 Slides, V10 Ford Powered

DAN L

• ---
  • VANCOUVER, WASHINGTON AND KAPOLEI, HAWAII
« Reply #279 on: January 24, 2010, 06:03:48 AM »
We just purchased a m/h and looking around I see lots of 12 volt connectors exposed to the elements. Is there something you can spray on these connectors to prevent corrosion? Make sure they have the best connection possible, bill

I did post this elsewhere and reading this forum thought it would be better here.

i cannot tell from your post what kind of moho you have. you can update your signature blocks with this info. :-\
some mohos have o rings in the electrical connector plugs.  :)
01 Winnebago 35U W20. member Good Sam, SKP. all fluids AMSOIL Syn. BANKS ecm prog. SCAN G. II w/Alli temp. 4 KONI fsd shocks. 2 LIFELINE gpl-6ct Batts on their sides. TST t.p. and temp mon. K&N panel air filter. PROG IND inline surge prot. silv star lights. STEHL dolly. dw CHERYL, 2 cat furkids.

burgiebill

• ---
« Reply #280 on: January 24, 2010, 09:41:38 AM »
I really don't want to up date my signature, it should make no difference what kind of m/h. there are 12volt wires exposed to the elements. 4prong, 2 prong and some butt end connectors. The butt ends I will cut, reconnect and shrink tube these. I was just try to find out if there is any reliable sprays for these types of connectors./
2009 Class A Hurricane by Four Winds (Thor) 36'  3 Slides, V10 Ford Powered

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #281 on: January 24, 2010, 03:27:05 PM »
Knowing the MH can sometime trigger a memory of personal experience.  A picture or description would help.  Depending on what you want to accomplish would help, are you trying to determine what they should do?  male or female connector?  Under dash?  At rear of bumper? 

If they aren't being used and have no voltage in them, tuck them away.  If voltage is present, tape them up, or heat shrink.  If taping or shrink tube, don't spray.

Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

DAN L

• ---
  • VANCOUVER, WASHINGTON AND KAPOLEI, HAWAII
« Reply #282 on: January 24, 2010, 10:22:49 PM »
Knowing the MH can sometime trigger a memory of personal experience.  A picture or description would help.  Depending on what you want to accomplish would help, are you trying to determine what they should do?  male or female connector?  Under dash?  At rear of bumper? 

If they aren't being used and have no voltage in them, tuck them away.  If voltage is present, tape them up, or heat shrink.  If taping or shrink tube, don't spray.

right on, pancakebill. ;D
harbor freight and others sell a product called "electrical tape in a spray can"
my experience is that it takes several applications to do any good. :o
i would not use this product on a connector plug that can be separated like the op mentioned. :o
 i use it on crimp connections sometimes where heat shrink tubing is not practical. :)
01 Winnebago 35U W20. member Good Sam, SKP. all fluids AMSOIL Syn. BANKS ecm prog. SCAN G. II w/Alli temp. 4 KONI fsd shocks. 2 LIFELINE gpl-6ct Batts on their sides. TST t.p. and temp mon. K&N panel air filter. PROG IND inline surge prot. silv star lights. STEHL dolly. dw CHERYL, 2 cat furkids.

joelmyer

• ---
  • Joel (W4JNM) and Camille, GA
    • The Retirement Saga
« Reply #283 on: February 10, 2010, 11:16:57 AM »
I have a question concerning batteries, i am taking delivery of my new Outback trailer this friday and I am considering upgrading my batteries from 1-12 volt to 2- 6 volt batteries. I have read a little about this and it seems to make sense. I do plan on a ton of dry camping so is this the way I should go?     any help would be appreciated, Thanks, bb.

Don't know what a "ton" means.  How long at a time?  In cold weather?  What is essential to your happiness when dry camping - microwave? AC?  Hair dryer? Electric coffee pot?

You need enough battery to get you from charge to charge.

I'm dry camping for two months and have a generator so I need to get through the night on battery.

If you are going to dry camp for the weekend and don't have a generator, then you need a weekend's worth of battery, to do whatever you want to do.

After I bought the 2 6 volt AGMs I wondered why I did that since the wimpy 12 volt battery that came with the trailer would have made it through the night.

Get some experience under your belt before you buy would be my advice.

Joel
Joel (W4JNM) and Camille, GA

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #284 on: February 13, 2010, 07:50:21 AM »
Great device for the remotes.  In our coach we have a bedroom TV with no space for any accessories.  We have the digi0-analog converter and a sat receiver.  I have these mounted in the front cabinet.  So, if in bedroom, the remotes IR would need a lot of focused mirrors to reach the equipment, or jump out of bed, go 'all the way' to the front to adust vaolume, channels etc. 

Solution  --  RF remote extender.  Thre is a tiny transmitter sleeve, the rechargable batter slips inside and it becomes a AAA batter, replace a standard AAA in the remote.  There is also a supplied sleeve if the remote uses an AA size.  OK, now up front, little 1/2 dome device with short antenna and a plug in IR.  You can get a plug in with multiple IR emitters.  Stick the emitter on the eye of the device. 

Simple!  Now the remote sends RF, th reciever converts to IR pulse.  Works fantastic, we used it all last summer. 

Package comes with 2 batteries, 1 transmitter sleeve.  Te extra batt fits in the base of the reciever and it recharges.  One charge was good for about 5 months.  Extra transmitter sleeves and batteries can be found easily.  Bought my setup on eBay.  I got lucky, bought mine from a guy that had bought it and not used it.  Never opened.  Full retail is about $50 or o. 
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Olcoon

« Reply #285 on: February 15, 2010, 06:20:33 PM »
When we don't have full hook-ups I keep a dishpan in the sink to wash dishes then dump the dirty dish water into the black tank. Puts more water into the black tank and keeps the gray from filling so fast. 

Another way to keep from filling the gray so fast is to wash dishes outside(IF allowed--I would ask first).

One thing I might add to this is before you dump the water...make sure NOTHING is in there you don't want to get rid of.  I did that one time, and on the way home that evening, I realized that my wedding ring was missing!  The only thing I could figure out was that it came off in the soapy water & I didn't realize it until it was too late!  Guess that's what I get for doing the dishes!!! ;D  My wife sort of forgave me...after a few years!

Lynnvt

« Reply #286 on: February 18, 2010, 01:07:30 PM »
I cut magnetic material to the size of the floor vents and covered with contact paper to cover the vents when we aren't using the heat. This helps to keep the dirt out of the vents. The magnetic material will stick to the metal vent cover.

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #287 on: February 18, 2010, 01:41:20 PM »
Lynnvt, now that is a good idea. Never occurred to me.. thank you.
  I'll do that to prevent the hot air from blowing on my thermostat, as well as keeping the others covered for the others to keep the camping dirt out.

carson FL

Carson, 
 West Central Florida

ruthandken CDN

• ---
    • Five - Just Rolling Down the Road
« Reply #288 on: February 18, 2010, 02:09:04 PM »
You can actually buy those magnetic covers.  Up here in Canada they come 3 to a package, and they are made to look just like a vent.  Very inexpensive.  Home Depot carries them.  I use them here at home to cover my vents in the basement in the summer because when the air is one it's brutally cold down there.
Ken & Ruth,
fur kid, Jackson(golden retriever)
2013 Jayco Pinnacle 36 REQS
2011 F350 Ford Super Duty Dually with crew cub
Dogs are not my whole life but they made my life whole.
http://fivejustrolling.blogspot.com/

Luvcampen

• ---
  • Team Luvcampen's Campin' Caravan
« Reply #289 on: March 06, 2010, 12:08:31 PM »
As my family and I are now the proud owner of a new travel trailer and have been popup campers for many years, I myself would like to see tips, tricks and ideas on storage solutions, be it food items, kitchen utensils, tools etc.

We had our own tricks for the popup but in many ways everything was more contained and locked in where the travel trailer is more open.

How does everyone deal with keeping things locked in place so that they don't move around during travel (TV's, Food, Supplies etc.)?

What kind of storage space savings ideas has everyone come up with? this is of great interest also. again the popup was different.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
2005 Dodge 2500 5.9L Cummins Diesel
2010 KZ Spree 318BHS

Daisy

• ---
« Reply #290 on: March 06, 2010, 12:59:50 PM »
Buy lots of the rubber matting and place on the bottom of every cabinet/shelf.  Helps to keep stuff from shifting around.

Buy those rubberized thingys that make extra shelves in tall cabinets, even works in some of shorter ones.

If the refrig isn't full enough to keep things in place, put empty bowls or pots in there to take up the extra space.  Do that on shelves too.

Since we full-timed for 10 years or so, we had to carry a lot of stuff with us, that part-timers would never consider.  So that kept cabinets, etc. fairly well loaded which also helped to keep stuff from shifting around, so it isn't much of a problem for us. 

On our last trip we took out several heavy winter coats that we wouldn't be needing.  However, that was a mistake and now my ironing board (table top one) won't stay in place.  And we now have lots more space in that area, that I'll have to think of something to put in it.  :-\

Think outside the box.  If you have to put extra clothing in the living area to fill up cabinets, do it.  Who's going to know except you and your spouse.

I've also used expandable book ends to keep books and boxes of food from shifting. 

I've heard of others who put the couch decorator pillow inside cabinets when traveling to pick up the slack.

There's lots of little things that will come to mind as you "live in" your new rv, and you'll figure it out.  If not right away, after a few trips.  Work with what you have in it already with out lots of fancy stuff.

Oh, yes, we did have one cabinet door fly open "once", the one with the dishes in it.  Luckily they were mostly corel.  No damage.  But from then on I've put one of the child-proof cabinet locks on it when we travel to avoid another recurrence.  But I also rearranged that cabinet so that pressure is not applied to the door any longer, which is what happened in the first place.  Both "fixes" has stopped it from happening again.

That's just a few ideas.  Hopefully others will follow.

Daisy

Daisy.  Location:  Sometimes here, Sometimes there.  All depends on the mood of the moment!

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #291 on: March 06, 2010, 01:16:00 PM »
We've discovered that the fuller the cupboards and refrigerator, the less things move around. Of course, having everything full doesn't help out with weight. I like Daisy's suggestion to use things you already have to fill spaces. I use potholders and towels to keep dishes and pots and pans from rattling since I have them anyway. Never thought of stuffing the pillows in a cupboard to act as filler but I'll give that a try. I do stuff things like the bedside clock and reading materials behind the bed pillows. I used to take down pictures that hang on the walls but quit doing that a long time ago and they haven't fallen off yet. Countertop bathroom stuff goes in the bathroom sink when moving.

Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Luvcampen

• ---
  • Team Luvcampen's Campin' Caravan
« Reply #292 on: March 06, 2010, 02:10:18 PM »
Thanks Daisy and Wendy for the information,

I have some of my own ideas as well as I tend to be a very creative person and enjoy modifying living spaces to better utilize the space provided. Obviously I have not yet had a chance to trial any of these ideas however.

When we finally get the hauler purchase finalized and get a chance to work & play with our new toy I will let you all know what I came up with and share my triumphs and failures. (Hopefully there are more triumphs than failures)
2005 Dodge 2500 5.9L Cummins Diesel
2010 KZ Spree 318BHS

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #293 on: March 23, 2010, 01:31:45 PM »
   A little hint on how to find info on your rig.

If you have your precise model number of your rig, such as mine "WCG32WQ"  just type that into the GOOGLE search and see what happens. It may not work on all models..who knows. Give it a try.

Here is my entry:>>>  http://www.winnebagoind.com/service/wincd/1995/95wg32wq.pdf

Let me know how it worked out.

carson FL

Carson, 
 West Central Florida

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #294 on: April 06, 2010, 05:11:37 PM »
Windshield Wiper Covers

Driving around the southwest, you don't have much rain so little need to use the windshield wipers. So I've gotten kind of lazy and hadn't taken off my covers while driving. Well, in that high wind leaving FMCA-ABQ,   both covers blew off, first time in thousands of miles. So I went to   Lowe's and bought new exact replacements---for $1.18. I use the   pre-scored foam pipe insulation, 6' long, 1" OD. I cut it in half and I have windshield wiper covers for each wiper blade for less than 60 each. Keeps the blade off the windshield and protects the rubber from the sun.
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ
Missing our Travel Supreme

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #295 on: April 06, 2010, 08:12:58 PM »
I tried mine and the original ad for mine at Lazy Days came up.  No more pictures, but same stock number. (yes I remember my stock number).  It was the first one on the list.  Southwind 35p  popped right up.
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Rancher Will

• ---
« Reply #296 on: May 10, 2010, 12:20:33 PM »
As do many of us, my wife and I have a "crank-up" antenna for our two TVs in our 5th Wheel, (plus cable and dish). For many years, just to make sure that we do not drive off with the crank-up antenna in up position, I always hook a "flag" on the crank at the ceiling EVERYTIME I crank the antenna up. Then, EVERYTIME that I crank the antenna down, I take the flag off. The flag is merely a square foot size decorative cloth with a cord to loop around the crank. It is colorful enough, and large enough, to draw my attemtion everytime I do a walk-through before closing down and driving away. When the antenna is down, the flag comes off so that I always know if the antenna is up or down.
I have never driven with the antenna up, but I have from time to time noticed other RV's that have broken their antenna by leaving it up while driving.

geodrake

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #297 on: May 10, 2010, 12:26:37 PM »
We have a plastic clothes pin that resides on the antenna crank.  When i crank the antenna up the clothes pin gets moved to the gear shift lever.  This way, when I get ready to drive off i see the clothes pin and remember to lower the antenna.

On a previous post someone told of having more than one clothes pin, each labeled as to it's purpose.
George Drake

Rancher Will

• ---
« Reply #298 on: May 10, 2010, 12:32:38 PM »
I guess that most of us have experienced holding tank sensors that become inacurate. I also have heard and read many suggested solutions to the problem and I have tried a number of solutions. The one that I have used over the past few years, that seems to work best for us, is to pour a bottle of PineSol into the drain, (sink or toilet), fill the tank almost full with water and drive for a while. Almost always when I drain the tank after this treament, the gauge will work correctly.

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #299 on: May 10, 2010, 04:39:58 PM »
There used to be a product called an "Antenna Saver" as I recall. it was a "Stop sign" with a short chain and clip.. You clipped it somewhere when you put your antenna up (I clip mine to the steering wheel "spokes")

Well. I"m told they don't make it any more.. What do they make?  CD lables and most every compuer user I know has made a CD-Coaster or two (CD with a bad burn or damaged or just flat no longer needed)  Print up two "Stop signs" on CD lables, STOMPER them onto a coaster-cd and drill a small hole.  A short wire and a cloths pin and you you have the expensive Camping world "Sign" for.. junk.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Hosted by Over The Network