Hints, Tricks and Gadgets/Tools --- small ones.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did much the same thing on my Motor home, only it's 8'long and mounted crosswise.

Six inch pipe.. Holds over 20 feet (extended) of hose.  I drilled two holes in the bottom (Strangly, they line up with the bolts that hold the pipe to the frame( and inserted a couple of street elbows in them pointed to the rear so that any liquid can properly drain out as well.. The elbows pointing back keeps tire splash out of 'em (Since they are behind the tires)

I took a similar pipe purchased from Lowes and heated it with a hair dryer on a hot day. I was able to insert it inside the 4 X 4 bumper. I now have a PVC lined bumper to store my dump hose in. It takes about an hour to heat, flex, make square, and insert it a little at a time.

It works great when you're done.

2 10 foot drain hoses with a connector are much more handy than 1 20 foot drain hose. Most ofthe time, 1 will reach and it is easier to handle and clean. I also have 3 25 foot white water hoses instead of one 50 foot one. Much easier and only one time haveI ever needed the third one.

This might be well known info, but I'll repeat it:

If you use dishsoap to wash your coach, it WILL strip the wax off the finish. This is good if you plan to strip and re-apply wax. This is bad if you want to retain your wax.

Use auto soap for regular washing, not dish soap!(unless you want to strip the wax)

Thanks, that's well worth a mention, and something I've omitted from other postings here. It's a known fact, but apparently not known by everyone.

Beaches_CC said:
Need helpfull hint - I am 'brand new' to RV'ing sorry to say my most difficult challenge has been; How do you clean coffee grounds from the perminant coffee(non disposable) filter, after dumping the majority in the trash I cannot rinse the remaining grounds into the sink?
Thanks CC

I use a French press which makes great coffee but a pain to clean.  Best I have come up with is fill it half full of water, take it to the dumpster or garbage barrel, swish it around like a gold pan and quickly dump it.  Wipe remainder out with a paper towel while I'm there.  You meet the nicest people at the dumpster.

This is about rust removal by the electrolysis method.

Probably best for small items...tools etc. Seems to be fairly simple to do.

I have read about an old relic anchor that was restored after centuries in the ocean. Took a long time to restore, weeks, but small items probably will be restored in a very short time.

Read this http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/rust/electrolytic_derusting.htm
Sounds like a fun project.

carson FL

I forgot about this tip until returning from snow camping last week.

HD carries this type of insulation in the picture below. This stuff is great for covering the windows of the RV(inside) at night when its below 32 deg.  How great? The condensation will sometimes freeze on the INSIDE of the window, beneath the insulation. :)  All windows have it on, with velcro tabs to hold in place for easy installation and removal. During  the day, we remove the insulation frrom the two big windows in the coach and just roll it up and stick it in the corner.  Funace cycle time is half! (With hook ups, running a single ceramic heater, the coach furnace never came on during one of our ski trips!)
http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL767/2726312/21767624/380651305.jpg

Been using it for years.  Back in the truck camper days we filled in the over cab window with 2 or 3 layers.  Kept sun out in early AM, kept cold off you or heat off when cold or hot.  Have huge sheet for windshield for sun in storage and cold while camping.

I have a question concerning batteries, i am taking delivery of my new Outback trailer this friday and I am considering upgrading my batteries from 1-12 volt to 2- 6 volt batteries. I have read a little about this and it seems to make sense. I do plan on a ton of dry camping so is this the way I should go?    any help would be appreciated, Thanks, bb.

I might consider changing when the 12v needs replacing, not sure I would do it right away.  How long will you be boondocking? 

Broncobilly,    just a few thoughts... not knowing what your experiences are with battery usage.

2- 6 Volt batteries are a step up from from a single12 V battery. Its definitely better but  not sensational. Depending on your daily power usage, battery power may vary considerably.

You mentioned a ton of boondocking. Think a day or two of usable power (or less), not much more. The secret is to to have a re-charging source at your disposal (generator) to replace those precious amps that you use every day. Solar arrays are ok but only if the Sun shines bright on the panels every day, and a lot.

Once your batteries run low on power it takes a long time to recharge them.

IMHO,  carson FL

One thing to remember... There are no six volt batteries in RV's.  Just 2 piece 12 volt batteries (Yes, each piece is six volts)

I say this because if you think of the pair, joined properly together, as a single 12 volt battery.. Most all your 6/12 questions self-answer.

Now, the pair, if the standard size, is about 220 amp hours, that gives you about 1 KWH of usable power per charge (Rounding shamelessly here)  This is as opposed to a single 12 volt which can be as low as 75 amp hours (G-24) to 105 (G-31)

Recharge time is dependent on the size of your converter for the first (BULK) stage, if you upgrade your batteries you might consider an upgrade to a larger converter,  A pair of U-2200's (Interstate's golf car offering) can suck 60 amps no problem,  A bit more in fact, so converters in the 60-70 amp range work well, even an 80 amp is good if it's a motor home with an intellegent battery control (Mine has an 80)

Make sure you get a good 3-stage converter.. There are several which are good.. Progressive Dynamics 9200 series is my choice but Xantrex, WFFCO, and several other comanies make very good units as well... There is no single "Best" it's a group, and a large one.

Thanks for the replies, our trailer arrived today , if anyone is considering making a purchase and having their trailer delivered I can say that we are very pleased. The driver arrived this morning and our trailer is all that we hoped it would be. We were given a walk thru right in our driveway and shown all about the trailer. A big thanks to Duane who delivered our trailer and to all the staff at Lakeshore rv for making the purchase so smooth and making our dream of rving come true.!!    We did not have the time to upgrade the batteries before our trailer shipped but I am going to look locally to see if I can find the batteries. Time to go play with the new toy!!

Inexpensive and easy stabilizer. Only 2 peices of angle iron and 4 C-clamps.  I have something similar and it works great.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/camping-rvs/85594-best-rv-mod-ever.html

Sorry. Link worked when I tested it, but I since I am a member I guess it would. ::)

Here is a picture.

These are angle fence posts from a tractor supply place held on with 4 C-clamps.  It does make a noticeable difference and takes about a minute to install.

Credit for this goes to tubular031 over on powerstroke.org

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/GR-hvq7FSc5bjRwouIGtoA?authkey=Gv1sRgCP2poIzN46GdBA&feat=embedwebsite

Admin edit: Inline images are disabled.

We just purchased a m/h and looking around I see lots of 12 volt connectors exposed to the elements. Is there something you can spray on these connectors to prevent corrosion? Make sure they have the best connection possible, bill

I did post this elsewhere and reading this forum thought it would be better here.

burgiebill said:
We just purchased a m/h and looking around I see lots of 12 volt connectors exposed to the elements. Is there something you can spray on these connectors to prevent corrosion? Make sure they have the best connection possible, bill

I did post this elsewhere and reading this forum thought it would be better here.

i cannot tell from your post what kind of moho you have. you can update your signature blocks with this info. :-\
some mohos have o rings in the electrical connector plugs.  :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom