Hints, Tricks and Gadgets/Tools --- small ones.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
geodrake said:
We have a plastic clothes pin that resides on the antenna crank.  When i crank the antenna up the clothes pin gets moved to the gear shift lever.  This way, when I get ready to drive off i see the clothes pin and remember to lower the antenna.

Since larger diesel pushers have the leverless Allison transmission, I clip my clothes pin to the ignition key.

We have a Cocker Spanial and it sheds. The first time I started the furnace I had dog hair blowing out of the floor vents.  I found some vent filter at Walmart or Home Dopot, removed the vent covers and placed the filter in the vents. The filtes are about 12" long, so when I placed them on the vent cover I pulled the extra over the ends and then screwed the covers back down. This kept them from falling out of the vent cover.  Easy to replace as needed. Also keeps every thing else from falling down the vent (coins, ear rings, etc.) 

SLJKansas said:
We have a Cocker Spanial and it sheds. The first time I started the furnace I had dog hair blowing out of the floor vents.  I found some vent filter at Walmart or Home Dopot, removed the vent covers and placed the filter in the vents. The filtes are about 12" long, so when I placed them on the vent cover I pulled the extra over the ends and then screwed the covers back down. This kept them from falling out of the vent cover.  Easy to replace as needed. Also keeps every thing else from falling down the vent (coins, ear rings, etc.)

Caution.  Not sure how it applies to RV HVAC systems but the guy that replaced our home system last year said those were a major contributor in the failure of our old system.  Just repeating what I was told and I have no personal knowledge of the validity of that claim.

Thanks Bill, I only have 2 covered and they are in the livingroom area, the rest are open. I will remove them when I need to start running the furnace.

Hello all , I am new to the forum and Really like this topic. I read a page or two in my spare moments,  and rather than search my way through the pages again later,  I simply use the "add to favorites" button. This way I can one-click back to where I left off earlier. This isnt an RV trick or tip, but rather a tip for return visits of a topic.  Great for those multiple page topics.
Den

You can also use the Notify button to be sent an email when a reply is posted to a topic of interest to you.  That way you won't accumulate a lot of bookmarks :)

Ned,  yup,  that works especially good if I had read all the post of a topic,  keeps me informed of new ones.   
With the  add to favorites,  if I gain another 3 pages into a multi page topic,  I can click add to favorites again and it will overwrite the previous,  thus  only one bookmark shown.
Thanks for the notify tip though,  I had forgotten to do that with this topic.  Found yours here with the show new posts link next to my user name.  (notify,  works much better)
Den

GKman said:
I use a French press which makes great coffee but a pain to clean.  Best I have come up with is fill it half full of water, take it to the dumpster or garbage barrel, swish it around like a gold pan and quickly dump it.  Wipe remainder out with a paper towel while I'm there.  You meet the nicest people at the dumpster.

We too prefer a french press.  To clean , I simply line a spaghetti strainer with a paper towel or coffee filter and thin out the grounds with some water and pour it into the strainer, propped up in the sink.  It only takes a minute for the water to run through, and the paper towel or filter then can be flipped into the trash can.  Very little residue going down the sink that way.
Den

Harbor Freight puts their 400 amp load tester on sale frequently and they are good enough for our occasional use.  Love mine, will tell me if my batteries are still good.

A little hint re starting your generator.

I have a 5KW Onan generator and sometimes I have to hit the start button several times, leaving a period of time between restarts. It is supposed to get fuel to the unit, so that there is enough fuel enough fuel to start.

Today I found that if your chassis batteries are fully charged , starting is no problem.

Just think, if your chassis Batteries , which start the generator, are on the low side, there will be little voltage left to operate the fuel pump. Hence, little fuel...no start.

I had that problem many times...Today I tested that theory. I started the RV engine to provide fresh current to the batteries, Instead of trying 3 times, the genie started on the first try. (and that was after sitting for 5 days).

If your batteries are A1,  this may not mean anything. My batteries are starting to age, like many others.

Perhaps this may help someone in that situation.

Carson FL

On some motor homes it is indeed the chassis battery that cranks old Genny up.
It appears yours is one of 'em

ON mine it's the house.

On someone another person's rig.. IT's a coin toss.

I'm told there is at least one model that has 3 batteries, House, Chassis and one JUST to make sure old Genny can get cranky.

John, you are speculating.  My rig uses house batteries to start my generator. Read my post...don't confuse the issue!

carson

I ran into the same genny starting issue last month.  Being new to the motorhome scene and having an older unit, a 1991 Georgie Boy on a P32 things can get interesting.  When trying to start the genny it would just make some whining, screeching, grinding type noise.  Long story short, after some starting fluid, some  disassembly and a few hours of work it turned out to be a weak house battery.  I mistakenly assumed the chassis battery was the battery for the genny starter but I was wrong.  When I finally jumped the chassis battery and the house battery together the genny fired up on the 1st try. 

The batteries on my rig are not labeled and I am constantly confusing which is which.  I need to label them, once I figure out which is which again, lol.

Brian
Not sure for yours, but most rigs have 2 batteries for house and 1 for engine.  (on gas chassis's), so if there are 3 batteries, the 2 together are house.

Only 2 batteries on this rig, one for the engine and one for the house.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

On a side note, I do plan on changing both batteries and adding a second house battery.  The current house battery does not hold a charge.  The current engine battery is a deep cycle marine which seems to have a tough time starting the big V8.  I plan on a standard engine battery and 2 rv batteries for the house.

Here's my hint- The day before a trip I turn on the refrigerator. When I turn it on, I put water filled frozen milk jugs in the refridgerator and in the freezer. I put a wash cloth below each to catch the condensation. I have room for 2 in each area so I put 2 in each area. It cuts the cooling time down a bunch.

Outside storage for the black drain hose wasn't very practical (read DW thought it was a bad idea) on our MH. We bought two plastic storage bins, tinted red, at Wal-Mart. They fit neatly in the storage areas. One holds the drain hose and adapter. The other holds the water hose dedicated to flushing the black tank. First thing we tell any guest is "anything red is possibly contaminated".

jkherbold said:
Outside storage for the black drain hose wasn't very practical (read DW thought it was a bad idea) on our MH. We bought two plastic storage bins, tinted red, at Wal-Mart. They fit neatly in the storage areas. One holds the drain hose and adapter. The other holds the water hose dedicated to flushing the black tank. First thing we tell any guest is "anything red is possibly contaminated".

i purchased 8' of 6'' white plumbing pvc pipe and 2 caps from a plumbing store in vancouver, wa.
i sanded the pipe ends and inside of caps to make a loose fit. i use 1/4'' pip pins to secure the ends while traveling. the right side end fits tight enough that it probably does not need securing. the left side end cap with handle cannot be removed without opening the lockable generator access door. i drilled about 10 1/4'' drain holes in the bottom of the pipe for drainage. the 6'' pipe is attached to my brushguard mounting bar (3/4'' steel channel iron) with 3  8'' hose clamps.
my new compartment allows me to store 25' of rhino flex stinky slinky and 8' of flush hose.
my stinky slinky is not so stinky because when i get done dumping and flushing (at least 3 times) the black tank, i put 2 cups of bleach in the 54 gallon gray water tank 3 minutes prior to dumping the at least 2/3 full gray tank, thus deodorizing the stinky slinky.
in the pictures, the end cap with handle is hanging on my genny exhaust pipe for illustration purposes. i guess i could paint the caps red...

Attachments

• DSC00554.JPG
    DSC00554.JPG
    665.8 KB · Views: 292
  • DSC00553.JPG
    DSC00553.JPG
    568.9 KB · Views: 250
  • DSC00552.JPG
    DSC00552.JPG
    532.6 KB · Views: 240
I made two of the PVC tubes, one for the slinky and one for fishing rods up to eight feet long. (not much good for my 11 and 12 foot surf rods though.  Luckily I have roof storage on my fishing rig for up to 16 rods. ;) :D

I too have both 4" and 6" PVC pipes secured under the rig, I used screw end plugs though.  the 4" holds assorted "Rod" stock type things I use for ham radio and the like, the six inch.... Yup, that's what it is for.

Since mine are slung under the rig (not in a compartment of any kind) I drilled holes in the bottom of the Pipe (had to in fact in order to bolt it in properly) and after I was done mounting it I put 90 detree PVC elbows in the holes.. Pointed toward the rear,, that way the inside of the pipe stays dry.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom