Hints, Tricks and Gadgets/Tools --- small ones.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JohnFD.. I am beginning to appreciate your overall ability to solve almost any problem.

With no malice in mind intended, would you care to document all the alterations, fixes, innovations and magic things that you have applied to your M-Home.

It may take you some time to gather all the info....I am sure we can all learn from it.

You may even qualify for the most altered RV in history... think "Guinness World Record".

Remember, this is a fun forum.

Carson FL

Alas not.. There really are not all that many.. And most of them have to do with ham Radio.

but I've replaced the carpeted riser under the toiled with sealed wood
I've added the two pipes mentioned above
I built my own version of the www.PSRV.net device and put it in.

I added a Wilson cellular phone repeater (Bi-directional amplifier)

That's really about it.

But problems.. Yes, I've solved many of those.

Oh, and I shortened my awning, (Thus fixing a problelm)

John From Detroit said:
I too have both 4" and 6" PVC pipes secured under the rig, I used screw end plugs though.  the 4" holds assorted "Rod" stock type things I use for ham radio and the like, the six inch.... Yup, that's what it is for.
Since mine are slung under the rig (not in a compartment of any kind) I drilled holes in the bottom of the Pipe (had to in fact in order to bolt it in properly) and after I was done mounting it I put 90 detree PVC elbows in the holes.. Pointed toward the rear,, that way the inside of the pipe stays dry.

John, could you attach a photo of those 90-degree elbows. I would be interested in how you attached those without interfering with full access to the interior of the pipe and it's ability to completely drain.  Thanks in advance.

John From Detroit said:
I built my own version of the www.PSRV.net device and put it in.

Did you get a male flush mount plug and small breaker like the one they sell? If so, where did you get them?

NO I did not, but if I had chosen most electrical distributors (NOT electronic but some of them might too) have them)  I used a cord type mount. (Like an extension cord outlet, in fact that's what it is)

Others have posted about the non-skid shelf lining material, to hold things in place while moving. I have had an irritation forever, with dinette seat cushions moving, while the coach is sitting still. I move my behind around,  ::)  while sitting at the dinette, causing the cushions to move, slide out, angle out, and sometimes to fall off under the table.  :mad:

Thought of the non-skid material, to hold the cushions in place. Went to ACE Hardware and bought 5 ft of the material. ($1.79) I cut it in half, and put half under each cushion.

Holds great! Real improvement. Cushions stay put, no matter how much my behind moves.  ::)  If you have this problem, I recommend the non-skid shelf liner.

Ray D  ;)

Flexible windshield squeegee.  I got tired of using a flat squeegee on a curved windshield and couldn't find a curved one so I made my own.
I took a long and a short length of ? inch dowel and fitted them together using a ?  inch 45 degree PVC elbow to make the handle and offset. Use a small nail or screw through the elbow into the dowels to fasten them. Next I drilled out the mounting pin on a windshield wiper blade, flattened the end of the short dowel to fit between the frames of the blade, drilled the dowel and bolted them together.
I can now squeegee the windshield much faster and easier without the streaks.

I carry some large flat pieces of cardboard cut to fit into the storage compartment for use as a ground cover and pad when I need to get under the MH. It's easy to slide around on and keeps me much cleaner.

staytonor
Edit: Removed horizontal scroll.

I have a few petty tricks / hints that may be useful to some. ;)  I didn't go thru all 11 pages, so sorry if there are some already listed.
1- Get a cheap socket/extension/breaker bar that fits your hot water heater plug and simply leave it srored right there in the compartment.  Its a big socket so for me it was not in my standard tools I normally carried.  This solved that.  I even filled in the socket with glue and washers so I can use it to start the plug straight.
2- I found that the 20qt rectangle rubbermaid or similiar brand containers fit perfectly in many cupboards.  Allows me to store a little more, but also allows me to pull out the whole container to get what I want out of the high cupboards, vice trying to search with my hand or while standing on a stool. (Also have one with all the grilling spices/utensils/grease for griddle/etc. that I can grab and grill...
3- Walmart, Target, etc. had hooks that were almost identical to the ones in my trailer.  Allowed me to put in more hooks in the bedroom and at the door and look factory.  Over the door hooks or hangers work well on my bathroom door too.
4- Never let your wife ground guide you back.  Its easier, less painful, and simply in your best inerest to go it alone.  Though it will take a lil longer it still takes less than with her assistance and the ensuing argument and you'll get a lil extra exercise getting in and out checking distances ;D...Just in fun ladies, no flaming.

Ray D said:
Others have posted about the non-skid shelf lining material, to hold things in place while moving...

The cheapest place to buy this stuff is from a rug outlet store! It is the same material used to keep a throw rug from slipping on a wood floor. WAY CHEEP!

DW uses and swears by the Mr. Clean "Magic Eraser" sponges.

Those things are truly amazing! They seem to easily clean the stuff that other cleaners struggle with. We keep several in our cleaning kit.

Some of the things that have gotten easier:
-Removing the moldy spots from the gasket around the entry door...
-Removing about ANY spot on the interior, or windows.
-GREAT at cleaning our vinyl/leatherette ceiling.

My latest/greatest discovery....

The headlamp lenses on our 2000 HR were getting quite oxidized, and significantly cutting down on the amount of light being projected. New lenses were $100/ea....have a 'pro' do it was about $50/ea...the store bought kits take a lot of time.

Our solution...CHEAP toothpaste.
Took a  rag...applied in a circular fashion...let dry...buff out.

They looked like new!

Many local auto parts houses now carry cleaning/buffing kits for plastic headlight lenses/covers - I've seen some for about $10-$15, and include the cleaning 'paste' and a small buffing wheel to use with an electric drill to polish em' back to like new!

Hazardous gas detector- Hair Spray. My wife has to go outside to spray her hair since the spray is heavier than air and will collect near the floor and set the thing off.

Hi All

I ran across this when looking at MH's with my brother, see picture.  I can't take credit, wish I could, great idea.

The tennis balls hold the parallel arms away from the glass thus keeping the wipers from touching the glass.... Hence...longer wiper life.

Jay T
K6ruv

Attachments

• TennisBalls.JPG
    TennisBalls.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 321
This may have been posted previously but Home Depot and Lowe's, among others, sell a 6' long foam pipe insulation tube that is pre-slit. Buy the 97? size, cut the tube into two 3' long sections and slide over the wiper blade. Cheap and easy.

Be sure not to use the air horns filled with freon as they can destroy the erogenous zone

Now, that is funny.  ;D

I suggest that Nitrous Oxide may be a better substitute.  Maybe the World will be smiling again everywhere.

Everyone will be smiling/ laughing all the time.  (Laughing Gas).

Spread the word.

Carson FL  Tee Hee... 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom