EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Hints, Tricks and Gadgets/Tools --- small ones.  (Read 284763 times)

Wolf Pack Fan

• ---
Re: Hints, Tricks and Gadgets/Tools --- small ones.
« Reply #360 on: January 12, 2012, 07:29:39 AM »
I'll throw in my 2 cents for something that has worked well for us while tailgating in paved parking lots.  Place a carpet under your generator.  A lot of the sound extends from the belly and bounces off the pavement, making it louder.  The carpet underneath absorbs some of the sound waves quieting it down a little.  I haven't tested the theory with any kind of sound meter (droid app) but I notice an improvement.
Proud to have served 1976-1996.  Retired US Army, Airborne.
2005, 34' National Dolphin, Gasser.
Long time camper, first time RV camper.  Love it!

Wolf Pack Fan

• ---
« Reply #361 on: January 13, 2012, 09:44:55 PM »
What happened.....Am I a thread killer?   :o

cuts_up

• ---
« Reply #362 on: January 14, 2012, 02:08:21 AM »
Yesterday I found a way to keep the kitchen trash can upright while traveling.  I use an 8-gal can with a 13-gal trash bag with a drawstring (cinch sack).  After inserting the bag into the can, I fold the top of the bag over the outside of the can.  I positioned the can where I wanted it to be, against a cabinet.  I grabbed the bag hanging on the back side of the can, pulled it tight, and slipped it between a cabinet door and the cabinet opening, on the hinged side.  Pulling the bag through to the inside of the cabinet, it formed a pocket.  I put a tennis ball in the pocket (inside the cabinet) and shut the door.   The tennis ball keeps the bag from sliding through, and the bag holds the trash can in position.  I don't know how well this will work if the trash can is full and heavy, but we empty the trash often.
Kathy

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 97 Southwind 35P
    • WorKamping in Yellowstone
« Reply #363 on: January 14, 2012, 11:53:20 AM »
Not a thread killer, look at the dates and the gaps.  This one resurrects itself all the time, and I like that carpet idea.  Good one.
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

Old Faithful, Yellowstone Association Bookstore
1997 Southwind 35P
Toads: 1997 Honda Accord & 1986 Westfalia
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

cliston

• ---
« Reply #364 on: January 22, 2012, 11:30:07 AM »
Here's a little space saving tip for under the kitchen sink.  Using a curtain/tension rod you make an elevated space to hold spray bottles.

http://lifehacker.com/5816766/organize-your-cleaning-bottles-under-the-sink-with-a-tension-rod
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 11:20:54 PM by Lou Schneider »

DinnerDiva

• ---
« Reply #365 on: January 22, 2012, 09:55:23 PM »
Cliston, that is an awesome idea.  Not only will that help in the MH but it I'll use it in the Stix n' Brix, too!
Jane and Adrian with Oscar and Nikko (two ornery cats)
2004 Gulfstream Voyager
2009 Hyundai Accent toad

The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true.  Abraham Lincoln

The bend in the road is not the end of the road
unless you fail to make the turn.  (anon)

Wolf Pack Fan

• ---
« Reply #366 on: January 26, 2012, 08:08:18 AM »
We like to fly flags when we're tailgating and camping, as many others do. the 10' piece of conduit we used to use was a pain getting in and out.  PVC or ABS pipe is to flexible in our wind.  We got a collapible aluminum flag pole off of ebay for around $80.  Collapses down to around 6' and extends to 25'.  We just extend it, velcro it to the ladder and we're good.  If we want it a little higher we extend the bottom up the ladder instead of sitting on the ground.  We're usually the highest flag pole around. Pretty nice to fly Old Glory that way. 

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #367 on: January 26, 2012, 08:38:04 AM »
You may want to take the pole down in weather when there could be a lightning strike. I've heard of, and seen the results on a coach, of metal poles very close to the coach attracting a lightning strike and causing extensive damage to the electrical system of a coach. The one I saw even had the slide retract when hit.
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ
Missing our Travel Supreme

gotago2

• ---
« Reply #368 on: January 27, 2012, 05:04:54 PM »
Mike, Could you share the formula or is it a secret that can only be gotten from your dealer?????? :-X
Ret. USAF with time in USMC
2011 Itasca Sunstar 35F, V-10 towing Honda CRV

Mavarick

• ---
« Reply #369 on: January 27, 2012, 06:15:52 PM »
Technically not a "gadget" but If you want a handy conversion tool try this one. By far the best I have found and have been using it for years: http://wscope.com/convert.htm
It's free and easy. I downloaded again today and scanned it with Norton and Malwarebyte just to be sure it is clean. Thought someone might find it as useful as I did.
2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43 QRP
Powerglide Chassis, 425 Cummins, Allison 6 Speed
2010 CRV - Blackhawk 2 - Air Force One
2002 Heritage Classic
Washington State

Wolf Pack Fan

• ---
« Reply #370 on: February 07, 2012, 11:28:16 PM »
You may want to take the pole down in weather when there could be a lightning strike. I've heard of, and seen the results on a coach, of metal poles very close to the coach attracting a lightning strike and causing extensive damage to the electrical system of a coach. The one I saw even had the slide retract when hit.

Ooops!  Quoted wrong post.  Good tip Bernie, Thanks!  We don't any electrical storm activity during tailgating season, but I'll keep that in mind during the summer, when we do a lot of camping and the electrical storm activity is higher.

w6pea

• ---
« Reply #371 on: February 12, 2012, 06:08:08 PM »
Here's a little space saving tip for under the kitchen sink.  Using a curtain/tension rod you make an elevated space to hold spray bottles.

http://lifehacker.com/5816766/organize-your-cleaning-bottles-under-the-sink-with-a-tension-rod

Interesting link.
Thank you for posting it.
Remember "Without Truck's & Truck Driver's America Stops !"
"Take me to the Brig. I want to see the "real Marines". Major General Chesty Puller, USMC - while on a Battalion inspection.
If We can't Haul It....You Don't Need It !    Motor-T
"Semper Fi "

woodworker

• ---
« Reply #372 on: March 18, 2012, 01:09:10 PM »
Hi everybody, I made a gadget for the fire ring or small fire place . I got a piece of 4x4 1/8 thick flat metal if it going to rain at night i place the metal over the fire ring and the next morning ,if the rain stopped the fire pit is dry .also a piece of key chain & a1/2black big paper clip  put the key chain around the inside mirror & attache paper clip to chain then put your campsite pass on  Good luck all. Happing camping.

IndyJuggalo

• ---
« Reply #373 on: April 05, 2012, 03:23:31 AM »
I'm a newbie, but I think this might help some of you. I have used this around the house for years. Wallowed out wood screw holes can sometimes be temporarily to permantly fixed with a tooth pick or small splinter of firewood.

For instance, a cabinet door hinge. Don't want to use an over sized screw and damage the hardware or have a mix match screw in there. Just cut the pick in half and place both into the screw hole pointed side out. Cut flush then screw the original screw back in. Should at least be a good temp fix.

If it still is a little to loose you can then, when more time allows, mix sawdust and wood glue to add to the hole. More sawdust than glue. The glue is just for adhesion. To much glue and you will have problems getting the screw in. With the picks still in there, just add enough to fill it up making sure it is flat. Once dry screw it back up and should be good as new.

Another way is to pick up some small dowel rod. With a drill bit slightly larger than the dowel drill out the hole being careful to not pushing through. Glue it in and let it dry and you have new solid wood to put the screw into.

I hope some of you get some good use of this.

Adding sheet metal fix. A washer smaller than the screw glued to the back of the hole is a good fix for stripped out sheet metal. The glue used should be a high strengh. Gorilla glue or a two part epoxy with the mixing tube works well and is easy to find. Wally worlds carry many versions.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 06:14:37 AM by IndyJuggalo »

edjunior

• ---
  • Roman Forest, TX
« Reply #374 on: April 05, 2012, 07:03:19 AM »
I'm a newbie, but I think this might help some of you. I have used this around the house for years. Wallowed out wood screw holes can sometimes be temporarily to permantly fixed with a tooth pick or small splinter of firewood.

I've used this toothpick repair method hundreds of times.  Many times it has been all that was needed for a permanent fix.  In other words, I never had to do any more repair work there.  I have had to resort to the "many toothpick with wood glue" fix a few times.  Dowel rod sure would have been better!
Ed.....KF5INW
2011 F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
2010 Forest River Wildcat 28RKBS
"I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!"

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #375 on: April 05, 2012, 07:38:21 AM »
If only there was as simple a solution for drywall.  I've always had to resort to anchors once the hole gets enlarged.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

cliston

• ---
« Reply #376 on: April 13, 2012, 10:38:52 AM »
No specifically geared toward us, but this site has some cool things and ideas for small spaces:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/

Mavarick

• ---
« Reply #377 on: April 13, 2012, 12:21:39 PM »
Just a little trick I picked up a while back from friends. I used to use my paper shredder and just fill a large garbage sack and in the recycle bin it would go. Now I use the smaller bathroom garbage can plastic bags, about a 1 gallon size and fill them. Then when I want to start a campfire I lay the bag on the bottom and just tear it open. Shredded paper works great as a fire starter and the small bag fits in the bay with some firewood very nicely.
2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43 QRP
Powerglide Chassis, 425 Cummins, Allison 6 Speed
2010 CRV - Blackhawk 2 - Air Force One
2002 Heritage Classic
Washington State

KodiakRV

• ---
« Reply #378 on: April 13, 2012, 09:11:56 PM »
Just a little trick I picked up a while back from friends. I used to use my paper shredder and just fill a large garbage sack and in the recycle bin it would go. Now I use the smaller bathroom garbage can plastic bags, about a 1 gallon size and fill them. Then when I want to start a campfire I lay the bag on the bottom and just tear it open. Shredded paper works great as a fire starter and the small bag fits in the bay with some firewood very nicely.
Sounds like a great idea! 

I learned my lesson not to carry any firewood many years ago, though.  I brought some home because I didn't want it to go to waste.  Turns out the wood had carpenter ants in it and they ended up nesting in several places in my house & garage.  It was a battle to get rid of them.  I remember one morning seeing a bit of fluff sticking out from under the toaster that hadn't been used in a few days.  I pushed the toaster on and when it started heating up, a couple dozen carpenter ants came boiling out of it.   :P
Frank
Florida

cliston

• ---
« Reply #379 on: May 20, 2012, 11:12:54 AM »
Urban shelf, go anywhere side table.  Might come in handy for some around here. 

No affiliation!

http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/gear/ee58/

chaperall lite

• ---
« Reply #380 on: June 07, 2012, 08:04:00 AM »
Hi all,  i discovered this handy fire starter gimmick a few years ago..  save your toilet paper tubes,,, shred some newspaper... heat up those blocks of parafin , and pour over  the shredded newspaper..stir quickly before it hardens... stuff into tubes tightly,  and you have a firestarter that will burn for ten minutes ....  we use them in our outside wood burner also... works great. and they dont take up much space.
retired Central Minnesota
2009 Chaparral Lite  with1994  F250

Wolf Pack Fan

• ---
« Reply #381 on: June 07, 2012, 10:39:41 PM »
Love the toilet paper tube idea and I would sure try it, but I'm pretty lazy when it comes to starting the campfire.  A propane torch takes just a couple minutes and is still pretty cheap.  I will take the time to start a fire the old fashion way of collecting various sizes of small pieces of wood and using paper for ignition, if friends we're camping with bring their children and they want to learn how to start a fire.

This isn't exactly a tip or trick and I'm not trying to change the direction of the thread, because it's surely a good one.................., but maybe it is a tip.  Not mechanical, but a human nature, good karma kind of tip.

Here's my tip.  When you can, try and create life long memories for children when you go camping.  When we first started tent camping 16 years ago we used to bring our son, niece's, nephew and sometimes one of their childhood friends.  Whenever we talk to them now as grown ups they still remember the fun things we did camping with them.  They're all grown up now and rarely join us camping, but for any friends we camp with that have small children, we take a lot of pleasure in creating memories that they'll remember for a life time.  Last weekend we camped with two other couples and their kids.  I taught the children gun safety with a BB gun pistol and we shot at cans hung from tree branches.  Gun safety was first and foremost and it was the first time any of the children had experienced shooting a pistol.  I'm fortunate to have a very gifted family life and doing things like that make me feel like I'm giving something back.

Wolf Pack Fan

• ---
« Reply #382 on: June 08, 2012, 07:41:13 AM »
I did think of a nifty trick that has proven quite handy.

For the shower in our motorhome we installed a 3 button, push button soap dispenser purchased at Walmart for about $25 as I remember.  It's got liquid shampoo/conditioner and 2 kinds of body wash.  Wife doesn't want to smell like Old Spice body wash.  No soap scum to deal with at all, unlike using a bar of soap.  Next to it, mounted high are a couple of hooks with those plastic loofa scrubs hanging.  The loofas rinse quicker and easier and dry out better & faster than a washcloth. 

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #383 on: June 08, 2012, 09:15:21 AM »
I did think of a nifty trick that has proven quite handy.

For the shower in our motorhome we installed a 3 button, push button soap dispenser purchased at Walmart for about $25 as I remember.  It's got liquid shampoo/conditioner and 2 kinds of body wash.  Wife doesn't want to smell like Old Spice body wash.  No soap scum to deal with at all, unlike using a bar of soap.  Next to it, mounted high are a couple of hooks with those plastic loofa scrubs hanging.  The loofas rinse quicker and easier and dry out better & faster than a washcloth.
Now that's a smart idea.  Thanks for posting this.
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #384 on: June 08, 2012, 11:25:12 AM »
If you are going to get one of these fixtures, I recommend a 4 tube one and that the individual tubes can each be removed for cleaning etc.  I got mine from Amazon, I think.  We had a 3 tube one where all were one piece and I frequently got introuble with DW about cleaning, refilling etc.

Also the wash puffs that Bed, Bath and Beyond sell are great for the same reason as the loofa scrubs.  I have also got these at Wal_Mart for about a buck rather than the $3+ BBB charges and sometimes they are even branded BBB.
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #385 on: June 08, 2012, 11:54:09 AM »
We've had this one for several years.  3 tubes, a mirror, and the tubes are individually removable for refilling.
2007 GMC Canyon

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #386 on: June 08, 2012, 01:24:47 PM »
We've had this one for several years.  3 tubes, a mirror, and the tubes are individually removable for refilling.
Well heck, Ned.  Why didn't you tell me about it earlier instead of making me wait for Wolf Pack Fan to post it? ;D
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #387 on: June 08, 2012, 01:42:17 PM »
Sorry about that :(
2007 GMC Canyon

Wolf Pack Fan

• ---
« Reply #388 on: June 08, 2012, 08:07:41 PM »

Dang Ned!  That's a nice one.  I like the idea of the tubes.  So they're removable?  The mirror is a cool little touch too, though I don't think it would get much use, as I don't shave when camping.  I guess it could come in handy for admiring myself though   ::)

JoAnn

• ---
« Reply #389 on: June 12, 2012, 08:23:54 PM »
I have the shower dispenser that's all one piece and I agree.  The next one will have the individual tubes.  I also have a single one I use for hand soap by the bathroom sink.  I usually mix 1/2 hand soap and 1/2 water so it isn't as thick and we use less.  It's just nice not to have another thing to go flying when we're on the move.  In our last motor home I had one by the kitchen sink also but the one we have now the sink is too far from a wall.

JoAnn
The worst day on vacation is better than a day at work

Hosted by Over The Network