Hints, Tricks and Gadgets/Tools --- small ones.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The best gaget I've bought recently is a low bridge warning addon for my Garmin.

I like to get off the interstates and be a bit more adventurous so it's great for that.

The Discovery Owners Forum (Wherever that is) has a bunch of POI files for most popular mappling software and GPS units, that includes assorted LOW BRIDGE files.

It's free.

I got my battery load tester from Harbor Freight it is a 500 amp carbon pile load tester it was on sale for abt. $50 or $60 and really loads a battery.

My most recent gadget is a two pack solar spotlight marked down to $11 at Big Lots. They have a really concentrated beam and also have an on-off switch. The light/solar part disassembles from the stake if needed. I plan on charging them and bringing inside when primitive camping.

Here are a few of my tricks.
We use a white queen sheet with a bit of clothes line run thru the hem as a sun screen. The rope/hem edge slides down the awning track easy and we use coiled dog tie downs with weights to hold the bottom where we want. The coils allow the screen to move with the wind and not stress the awning. The sheet is thin enough to be rolled up with the awning if needed.

We use Glad press and seal wrap to protect the walls around the stove. Put a few strips up when we get there and two weeks later take it down and have no splatters to clean up.
We also use the Press and seal to make make dual pane windows. Stick it to the frame at night to cut the drafts and peel it off the next morning.

Since our fresh water tank is smaller, we carry four 5 gal drinking water bottles that fit into a small plastic dispenser. We get all the water for drinking and cooking from the bottles which is nice because I don't have to turn on the pump at 5 am for coffee and wake honey up.

Another way we save water for dry camping is to bag the toilet with 4 gal trash bags. (one per use) They can be taken to the trash after and it not only saves a lot of water but leaves the black tank empty as a second grey tank for shower water.

JiminDenver said:
Another way we save water for dry camping is to bag the toilet with 4 gal trash bags. (one per use) They can be taken to the trash after and it not only saves a lot of water but leaves the black tank empty as a second grey tank for shower water.

Is this (you should pardon the expression) Kosher? Is it OK to put human waste in the trash?

Good question.
I have never heard of anything against it and people have been putting disposable diapers and dog poo in the trash for decades. We always double bag the bags with the outer bag being a really thick one to prevent leaks and smells. We also pack in and out so everything has to come home with us and we don't want the trailer to smell once we get there.
You can see different versions of this with bucket toilets that use bags that are premade and selling now.

JiminDenver said:
Here are a few of my tricks.
We use a white queen sheet with a bit of clothes line run thru the hem as a sun screen. The rope/hem edge slides down the awning track easy and we use coiled dog tie downs with weights to hold the bottom where we want. The coils allow the screen to move with the wind and not stress the awning. The sheet is thin enough to be rolled up with the awning if needed.

I use light color fabric shower curtains myself, but don't roll them up in the awning. They dry very fast. I have three, which are enough to go all around the awning in front and both sides, and leave a doorway. I bungee them to the awning, but I like your clothesline version for the front, which I could do by hanging them upside down.

Thanks!

I'll have to look into the shower curtains for the sides and maybe use binder clips to connect them to the side rails.  here is the sheet in use last year.

Attachments

• P1016247.jpg
    P1016247.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 278
Miracle Bungee Balls for RV'ers.  Better than tie wraps... re-use hundreds of times. Buy on Ebay for 20$ for 100. Available  6 or 9 inches long with a hard rubber ball on the end. These elastic very stretchy closed loop ties are indispensable.
...tie extension cords into neat bundles....ditto for hoses....loose pvc plumbing parts gathered together...Hold your closed end wrenches in a neat no lose package... emergency lash your awning together.... recently used a dozen to lash 4 fence sections together for a temporay dog kennel.Great for securing tarps etc...Secure items rattling around in or under the RV.
      I have used these bungees while Hunting,fishing ,camping ,working and for bundling flea market items. Virtually thousands of uses. Tie several together to make a large  stretchy bungee. Wouldn't leave home without Duct Tape? DITTO on these bungees.

A lot of excellent tips here.  Hopefully I can add some more:

I store our MH with the ceiling fan and the bath fan open (not on, just open).  Have never had a musty smell after storage (and we live in the midwest and get all varieties of weather.)

I open all the cabinet doors and the fridge door while in storage.

Roof leaks around the AC?  Take off the plastic cover and tighten the mounting bolts.  They sometimes work loose after a while.

Cheap carpeting for the fold-out stairs:  get a piece of carpeting (indoor/outdoor) or the like.  Cut it to the width of your treads and about twice the depth.  Install grommets near the edges.  Mount on the stairs with zip ties through the grommets.

Turn off the fridge while gassing up.  No need for a flame near a gas pump.

Install an indoor/outdoor thermometer (a wireless one would work great) in the fridge.  That way you can check the temp inside the fridge without opening it.

Keep the tips coming!!!

here is one for all the older carb GM 350s out there  cars / trucks  and RVs
we all know the ethanol kill filters about every 6 months in the carb and its hard to replace it 
the Oring likes to drip if you dont get it back in right/crack out the side of the card  and its all some thing we just dont like to play with 

i had 14 trucks like this running under me when  i was still working    to stop this here a nice trick

we all know we need the oneway valve in that filter or its really hard to start fuel flows back down when not running  then its hard to start it latter

what i all ways did was when it was time for a new filter i would drill a hole in the end of the filter on the still  side  and then install the filter back in to the carb
yes the filter no longer works but the oneway well and stop the fuel from going back down the line when not running 

now i cut the still line going in to the card and walmart has a see in side type filter or the glass type you can see in  glass one is not all that good
that way you can see and install every 6 months a new one with out getting in to the carb

PS look out for the higher pis from the fule pump  some low cost filters well pop  but i have never in many years seen it happen

i had filters with a hart bet befor LOL

wish i had pics  may can find some latter  but i am sure .............. every one gets it i am sure

aa i fond one  older 2 barrel carburetor here  all so works on 4 barrel carburetor

Attachments

• 2011-03-05 16.51.33_Lakeland_Florida_US.jpg
    2011-03-05 16.51.33_Lakeland_Florida_US.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 90
Simple solutions for complex (or even simple!) problems.

I've been doing a series on just this subject over the last few months.

The last on is spot on. A Squeegee for the shower!

Check it out at (link in profile).

It's amazing how a simple solution can make me smile.

Rich "The Wanderman"

Edit: Link moved to profile.

Rancher Will said:
As do many of us, my wife and I have a "crank-up" antenna for our two TVs in our 5th Wheel, (plus cable and dish). For many years, just to make sure that we do not drive off with the crank-up antenna in up position, I always hook a "flag" on the crank at the ceiling EVERYTIME I crank the antenna up. Then, EVERYTIME that I crank the antenna down, I take the flag off. The flag is merely a square foot size decorative cloth with a cord to loop around the crank. It is colorful enough, and large enough, to draw my attemtion everytime I do a walk-through before closing down and driving away. When the antenna is down, the flag comes off so that I always know if the antenna is up or down.
I have never driven with the antenna up, but I have from time to time noticed other RV's that have broken their antenna by leaving it up while driving.

There were a couple of posts that mentioned that you could buy antenna reminders.  I thought this was a great idea and immediately went out to the web to purchase one.  Although the price was relatively cheap at 3.99 the shipping charges were outrageous at 8.60.  i just made one on my computer for pennies on the dollar.  Just printed it out on paper, laminated it and punched a hole to insert a chain.  If I have to say so myself...job well done.

One of my favorite chores was to make indestructible leveling pads from a 4' x 6' horse stall mat that is 3/4" thick. You can cut 36 8" x 12" levelers from one horse mat. You can find how to do this on the internet. I also use these for keeping by sewer line at the right angle for draining. These don't slip, crack, or break.  They are heavier than plastic (very expensive if you get from camping world). Make your own just once; you'll never need anymore. Oh, if you have dual back tires, cut the levelers to 16" x 18". This way you can just toss them into place because they are plenty big. Yes it's a lot of work to make a set, but you won't regret it once you have them. Cut with a sharp razor knife, change blade often, and keep the blade moistened with some type of slick liquid like wd 40 or even water. It helps the blade go through very tough rubber.

I found a great small sugar container for the table / kitchen.

I usually like my coffee black.
A couple of times a year I do buy liquid chocolate mocha for the coffee.

The containers are plastic with a great snap top.
Remove the label, wash, dry and fill with a funnel.

The top is made for an easy to pour use, it is easy to hold
because of it's shape and FREE.

To keep your shower clean, use "Clean Shower."  You just spray it on and walk away.  Couldn't be simpler.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom