Hints, Tricks and Gadgets/Tools --- small ones.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you want outstanding levelers and don't mind a little work, check out this link. I made mine 8x12 for front tires and 16x18 for dualies on rear. I also drilled holes in the large ones to add a nylon rope to carry them. The piece of rope is 38 in long and tapped with duct tape on the ends so rope will thread easily through leveler. The over size makes them simple to put in place and carry. I bought the nylon rope at Walmart for about $7.00. I got the 100 ft x 3/8 in size.

Here in the Arizona Mountains, it gets WINDY. Not unlike the Mohave Valley, albeit not for as many days in a row.
Our park is cinder rock from corner to corner and Williams is landscaped with it too. It's a rough rock and not easy to walk on, so many campers bring a large mat to put down in front of their door where the lawn chairs and dogs are.
Today it was very windy and two of our campers decided to take off for the day before it picked up. While they were gone I noticed one of the mats picking up by the wind, it had detached from it's tie downs.
My sister and I took it upon ourselves to go over and fold it up and shove it under the steps. It was a tight fit and it stayed.
I know those accessories can be expensive, so mind the weather and check your tie downs before you leave. Also, if you're not home, roll up your awning. Especially in areas known for high wind gusts. I've seen the wind blow them right over the roof.

Lookie at what cool things/gadgets I got for our RV.

www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20213835/ This is so cool. Going over the stove and folds up for easy storage.
And our new dinnerware https://www.buynordicware.com/index.php?q=dinnerware+sets&page=Search.Search
This dinnerware is microwave and dishwasher safe but it's plastic! So cool! Selling my nice china that will chip and break, these are a great replacement!
And here is what I'm gonna do for storage for my shoes. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/canvas-shoe-pockets/24506
I found a cheaper over the door version that holds 24 pairs I'm going to cut into pieces and hang on the board around my bed!

Great RV gadgets and org tips!

Over the door laundry bag since there isn't a lot of floor space for a traditional hamper
I just ordered us one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121159272029?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

New to forum, but read every post on this thread!  I have two to add:

Prepare a "breakfast box"....I keep coffee beans, mugs, sweetener, spoons, coffee grinder, and filters in one plastic bin.  In the morning I can get the coffee made without much thought.

We have '95 Coachman Catalina Class C that has a large window by the dinette.  Our current site has us facing due North, so the evening sun is rough.  Bought an auto sun shade at Walmart for less than $10.  It's a perfect fit and cuts down on wear and tear on the air conditioner and on our electric bill.

I have my choice of coffee makers.

1: (Currently) Mr-Coffee makes 20 oz per pot.. I happen to have a 20 oz mug so this is "1 cup" for me (4 or 5 per label)  Behind it is a coffee can with coffee and filters, either whole bean or ground (Currently ground) and beside it is the measure (magnet attached to range hood) IF I had whole bean in the can the grinder would be next to the can.

2: Keurig  I have 4 quart bucket full of assorted K-Kups

3: Proctor Silex, uses filters (Cone) or coffee Pods (Senso) it is in storage just now (Cabinet in my main bath) it makes 10 oz per cycle max so I need to make 2 runs for the 20 oz mug.. Same for the Keurig,, The Keurig however will accept the caraf from the Mr, Coffee.  OR (If I remove the drip tray) the 20 oz mug.

I know there are a lot of the Dometic RM 7030 refrigerators still in use. If the door handles get broken or lost you will quickly find out that new handles are made of unobtanium. My solution was to buy two flat push plates and handles from the hardware store. I mounted the handles to the push plates then screwed the plates to the doors. A length of board pushed through the handles locks the doors. I notched the wood to slip down around the bottom of the handles to lock it in place. The handles look good and the wood is in place only when we drive. I know this won't help many, but I do hope it helps someone.

I posted some pic's below.

Attachments

• fridg1 (Small).jpg
    fridg1 (Small).jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 134
  • Fridg2 (Small).jpg
    Fridg2 (Small).jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 95
That is how I keep my kitchen drawers from opening on the road, Only I used a pair of eye bolts (lag type, screwed into the wood separators between the drawers) and a dowel rod instead of a flat board.. But the concept is identical.  Works good too.

Some of the "tricks" are pretty cool so I thought I would throw in a couple of mine that I came up with pretty quick:

1. We used to put Walmart bags over our truck mirrors while camping. Birds were pecking at that other bird in the mirror which can screw up your mirrors.  My wife soon decided the bags looked tacky and made some out of material that just slip on.

2. After dumping, have you ever been driving down the road and think you smell something "not pleasant"? I keep an old pair of tennis shoes that I can just slip on in my "sewer box". Being hazmat certified in the past, I know that it only takes one little drop of "stuff" from the dump station on your shoes. I slip them on, do my thing, then put them back in the box.

carson said:
Do you need a good deodorizer, defumer, dehumidifier, de-everything for your RV?

Have you heard of ZEOLITE?

For those looking for this stuff, I haven't yet read the whole list of postings on here yet. but did however find a link for you .

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/store/jump/productDetail/67369?searchid=7SPFGPLA&feedid=googlenonbrand&adpos=1o1&creative=56000862858&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CIawi5bF78ECFcOPMgodRzUAog

as a smoker I smoke outside (trying to quit all together) but  the smells are still on clothing.

RVLife said:
The best gaget I've bought recently is a low bridge warning addon for my Garmin.

I like to get off the interstates and be a bit more adventurous so it's great for that.

another choice for finding low clearance bridges and areas for weight restrictions on the bigger motor homes also some of the width restrictions. look for a Big Truck map from rand McNally.  you do not have to get one of the new ones matter of fact find a old one or ask a driver if they have a old one and tear the low clearance section out of the front of it.

Great stuff. I added to favorites so I can go back later and read them all! Thanks to everyone that shared their ideas.

This fan made a great replacement for those originally included in my hurricane. http://www.12volt-travel.com/12-volt-heavy-duty-metal-fan-p-5059.html The drivers side fan worked but made a horrible noise. The passenger side had never worked. I picked up two of the road pro fans, trimmed the lighter plug off and wired them in. Worked / still working great. Cheap too!

Anyone know about undercoating? I figure it will add some weight, but how much could it really add? It must be worth carrying a few extra pounds to protect the undercarriage, right?

campin-fool said:
Anyone know about undercoating? I figure it will add some weight, but how much could it really add? It must be worth carrying a few extra pounds to protect the undercarriage, right?
Unless you travel a lot of "salted" roads in the winter time, undercoating would be a big expense for very little return.

Undercoating can be good or bad.. if moisture gets under it,, It is BAD as it will trap the moisture there and make it worse.

As Gom or Joyce or Ditto said... Unless you spend a lot of time on salt roads,, Forget it.

If you have ever driven on salted roads, you should fear damage to aluminum and especially the radiator if it is AL.  Don't ask  me how I know!!

A long time ago, in another life, I installed undercoating.  Mostly a waste of money unless you are doing it for sound deadening.  Poorly installed undercoating can lead to salt getting under the coating a doing more damage than no undercoating. Save your money.

This is not a genius solution, fairly simple really.  But maybe it will give someone an idea or at least save them some time in fixing a similar problem.

One day, about a month after I bought my used 5ver, my kitchen sink decided to stop draining.  I did what anyone would do, removed the p-trap, cleaned it out, and re-installed it.  Still wouldn't drain.  The clear 45? elbow I have on my 3" sewer line was empty so I knew my sewer hose wasn't clogged.  I used a plumbers snake to verify no obstructions between the sewer outlet on the RV and the outlet on the gray tank.  So I knew the problem was in the interior pipes, somewhere between the p-trap and the tank.  My snake wasn't long enough to go all the way through, so I had to devise a new plan.  I decided a nice flush of high pressure water might free whatever the obstruction was.  So now the problem was how to use my 3/4" hose to put pressure on my 1?" plumbing.  After much research, I could not find an adapter that would work so I went to the hardware store hoping to make something that would work out of PVC.  First I found a 3/4" female GHT x 3/4" female slip. Then I found a 1?" female thread x 1?" female slip.  Then it was just a matter of finding the adapters and bushings I needed to go from 3/4" female slip to 1?" female slip. It ended up being a 1?"x?" bushing, and a 2" piece of ?" pipe.  Put it all into place, test fit, then glued it together.  Now I could run my hose through a window and attach it directly to the plumbing without losing pressure or making a mess/getting wet.  The water in the sink did drain slowly so I wasn't too worried about a complete seal which might cause the pipe to bust under pressure, but just to be safe I decided to use a ball valve to slowly introduce pressure to the line, so it wouldn't bust if a complete seal occurred.

Pictures of the finished product (with horrible flat black paint job) attached below.

Attachments

• Adapter (1).jpg
    Adapter (1).jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 123
  • Adapter (2).jpg
    Adapter (2).jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Adapter (3).jpg
    Adapter (3).jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Adapter (4).jpg
    Adapter (4).jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Adapter (5).jpg
    Adapter (5).jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 34
They actually make that commercially,  Plus there are some "Power Shot" type products, compressed gas same theory.

And there is a rubber bladder like thing that comes in 3 sizes, you shove it in the pipe after you open the pipe up,, I've blown some serious clogs out with those.  Most hardwares will have them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom