Hints, Tricks and Gadgets/Tools --- small ones.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Grab one corner and crack it like a whip.  Of course, longer terrycloth bath towels work better than paper towels, especially those torn into short squares. ;)

My neighbor here at the ranch came up with a neat idea when a skylight recently smashed in a hail storm. The resident RV repair guy was away for a couple of weeks, and he (the neighbor) was  unable to get on the roof. He pushed a small umbrella up through the opening, deployed it, and secured the handle. Voila! A dry coach interior until the repair guy returned.

Tom said:
My neighbor here at the ranch came up with a neat idea when a skylight recently smashed in a hail storm. The resident RV repair guy was away for a couple of weeks, and he (the neighbor) was  unable to get on the roof. He pushed a small umbrella up through the opening, deployed it, and secured the handle. Voila! A dry coach interior until the repair guy returned.

Oh how I like the way your neighbor thinks -- brilliant!

Corky

winona said:
I use an indoor/outdoor thermometer, the kind with the readout at one end of the wire and the sensor on the other end, to see how cold my fridge is.  I just put the sensor over the door so the end is inside and leave the readout hanging on the outside of the door.  Keeps me from looking inside to check to see if it's cold or even too cold!

Even better, is the wireless remote.  I have a wall mount and a remote outside and one  in fridge, can check all the important temps instantly.

For years I complained about kneeling on gravel to dump our waste tanks while hooked up, or when I needed to rummage around in the storage bins. My knees hurt and my pants eventually had holes in the knees. A few months ago my better half came home with an inexpensive pair of knee protectors that eliminated both problems. I keep them under the passenger seat, and easily grab them as I exit the coach

BernieD said:
Windshield Wiper Covers

Driving around the southwest, you don't have much rain so little need to use the windshield wipers. So I've gotten kind of lazy and hadn't taken off my covers while driving. Well, in that high wind leaving FMCA-ABQ,  both covers blew off, first time in thousands of miles. So I went to  Lowe's and bought new exact replacements---for $1.18. I use the  pre-scored foam pipe insulation, 6' long, 1" OD. I cut it in half and I have windshield wiper covers for each wiper blade for less than 60? each. Keeps the blade off the windshield and protects the rubber from the sun.

Don't know if this has been said, but think Pool Noodles for covering windshield wipers to keep the sun from dry rotting the rubber.  Works great!  Just cut them to fit. (you may need to slice them down the center, but they will still work just fine.)  We also run our water hose through pool noodles to insulate them during colder months.  At 96 cents a noodle, they are well worh it and do a great job!

My son and I were repairing my lawn sprinkler system and I was groaning and complaining about the hard ground on my bare knees. He walked into the garage and grabbed my 30 year old square, throw, life saver cushion from the boat and dropped it down for me to use.

Great idea, I said, now demonstrate how to use it!

For those of us "mature" enough to remember curb feelers, here is an updated model.
I used swimming noodles, marked the distance I need to comfortably open my slides, and inserted them into the fence. Now I watch the noodles in the mirrors, line the rig up so they just touch and perfect parking! And if I get too close and bump the noodles, no worries!

Attachments

• IMG_20161108_52814.jpg
    IMG_20161108_52814.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20161108_31223.jpg
    IMG_20161108_31223.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 124
steve-n-sueC said:
For those of us "mature" enough to remember curb feelers, here is an updated model.
I used swimming noodles, marked the distance I need to comfortably open my slides, and inserted them into the fence. Now I watch the noodles in the mirrors, line the rig up so they just touch and perfect parking! And if I get too close and bump the noodles, no worries!
Good idea! All I need now is  hurricane fence to stick them in ;) ;D

We have manual 'scissor' type stabilizer jacks (4) on our travel trailer and rather than cranking each jack down by hand, I bought a Camco Leveling Scissor Jack Drill Socket to use with my husbands cordless drill.
It only takes us a few seconds to go around and lower/raise up each of the jacks.

Reactions: RNS
Lisa & Ed said:
We have manual 'scissor' type stabilizer jacks (4) on our travel trailer and rather than cranking each jack down by hand, I bought a Camco Leveling Scissor Jack Drill Socket to use with my husbands cordless drill.
It only takes us a few seconds to go around and lower/raise up each of the jacks.
Great idea but caution. If leveling jack is tight or you over torque it the drill Chuck can actually screw off the drill...ask me how I know this :mad: .

Great tips everyone.  I read all 17 pages and captured some good info for my MH and my future travels.

Thanks much,
"CX"

That's what we're here for!  Well, that, and we just like to type stuff and start "discussions" about diesel vs. gas, or Ford vs. Chevy...okay I'll shut up.

Many of these tips/tricks have been collated and indexed (with a menu) in our forum library here. Looks like I need to update the file with the latest tips.

Right after I bought the Toy Hauler last fall, I installed a set of the StrapTek winches to take the place of the Blue Ox pull-ups for the WDH.  I really wanted to protect the winches themselves, as well as the straps that are on them (instead of chain).  I also wanted to protect the Electric Tongue jack from the elements when the trailer was not in use.  So quite by accident, I discovered that there are covers for sale on ebay that are being sold as "Windlass" covers for sailing boats.  I ended up buying the appropriate sizes for the StrapTek winches and one for the Electric Tongue jack and all the same color.  You can do a search on ebay and find a lot of them in different sizes/colors available.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom