Hints, Tricks and Gadgets/Tools --- small ones.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
John From Detroit said:
One suggestion on the smoke detector.... Invite the cigar smoking friend OUTSIDE the motor home and remove the detector to the outside for the test... That way the rig don't smell of cigar for the next way too long.

For water spiogts and a few other things as well.  Get a small pump spray bottle (Most drug stores have them, as do dollar stores) and fill with bleach water,  Just a "Cap full" for the small bottle is more than enough.  Spritz the spigiot at the park before you start to get your hoses out. it will be nice and sanatary when you hook up.... No matter what the dog ... Or it's master... Did before you arrived.

Also useful when you need to clean up an unsanatary mess.. Germs consider Bleach to be... Well, let's just bugs like Raid Better.

You can get artificial smoke (in a spray can) to test your smoke detectors.  That's what we use on commercial planes. It doesn't stink like cigarettes or cigars and doesn't leave a residue.

Tom said:
From the August 2017 issue of the BOATUS magazine, here are six easy tips/hacks that can be applied in the RV world.

One of the tips from the BOATUS magazine was using talc inside gloves.  Corn starch likewise works and, in my house, is always handy.  My hands sweat inside those rubber gloves which makes putting them on an ordeal.  Sprinkling in corn starch and shaking makes it lots easier.  Suppose baking soda would also do the trick.

winona said:
One of the tips from the BOATUS magazine was using talc inside gloves.  Corn starch likewise works and, in my house, is always handy.  My hands sweat inside those rubber gloves which makes putting them on an ordeal.  Sprinkling in corn starch and shaking makes it lots easier.  Suppose baking soda would also do the trick.

Now this, is a great tip.  I always have trouble with the stupid rubber gloves, but especially in the Texas summers.  Thanks for this!  Now all I have to do is remember to get it on my checklist!!

Have not seen this one....
Most of the time my dash A/C cools enough to reach the back of my coach (w/aux fan) to make it O.K. for my pets. However I need to monitor the rear of the coach both to ease my mind and if hot start the coach A/C.

I use a wireless temp. monitor ie: a wireless outside or inside/outside temp. monitor bought at the hardware store. I zip tied the outside sending unit in the back and have the monitor at the dash. Cheap solution.
Just remember the "outside" temp. reading on the unit is the rear of the coach.

dcb in VT

I wash my short 24' motorhome at home since it's in my drive and taking it to get it washed means a trip and a wait, etc.  Today, I used an empty Rubbermaid bin / tote for the wash water.  Filled it half full, added the soap, and could dip my brush with the pole in it without toppling the bucket or only getting half the brush soapy.  i know.  I sleep pretty soundly for not thinking of this sooner.

Recently I was reading a post where somone complained how hard it was to hook up and u unhook the 3" bayonet fitting sewer hoses, not to mention the cap (It gives me problems) and It got me thinking.. What else is about that same outside diameter.  One Face Palm Later I gave it a try. WORKS GREAT.. Link below (NOTE I got mine elsewhere. this was the easiest to find link)

Adjustable pliers type oil filter wrench at AutoZone

Being a very energy conserving individual, (LAZY) I have started using a permanent marker to mark the size of the oil drain plug somewhere in the engine compartment, to eliminate two or three trips under the rig when I change the oil. I write it on one of the rubber flaps where it is obvious. I also write down the brand and number for the oil, fuel, and air filters there too.

John From Detroit said:
Recently I was reading a post where somone complained how hard it was to hook up and u unhook the 3" bayonet fitting sewer hoses, not to mention the cap (It gives me problems) and It got me thinking.. What else is about that same outside diameter.  One Face Palm Later I gave it a try. WORKS GREAT.. Link below (NOTE I got mine elsewhere. this was the easiest to find link)

I use a grip-it rubber strap wench.  A separate one (not used for sewer hoses!!) is great for opening jars in the kitchen too.

In my MH, I keep a clamp style multimeter in case I need to check for current draw somewhere, a channel lock pliers, a 6 in one screwdriver.

I don't keep them in, but I bring from from my daily driver a decent portable socket set and my cordless impact. It came in handy last time because my alternator failed just as we got to the park. I had to fix it while everyone was out on an ATV ride. The cordless impact is in case I need to change the tires, obviously.

If I don't finish a piece of maintenance, like resealing the vents, I may bring some extra tools to fix it in my downtime.

My next purchase will be a Black & Decker portable inflator. It runs on 120VAC, 12VDC, and a 20V battery pack and has high pressure tire mode and a low pressure inflatable blower/deflator with integrated digital pressure regulator...for only $50 (without battery, but I have that taken care of).

cerd ~~ Have been in the market for just such an inflatpr. Do you have a part ##??  The one I saw for $50 was Batt only.  Thanks    ~~  Kate

Just wanted to let folks know that there is a spray made by CRC Inc. for testing your smoke/fire alarms.  It sprays a mist that simulates smoke in front of the alarm.  I know Staples sells it and I am sure other stores sell it as well.

maddog348 said:
cerd ~~ Have been in the market for just such an inflatpr. Do you have a part ##??  The one I saw for $50 was Batt only.  Thanks    ~~  Kate

I finally got around to ordering it. Amazon says it should arrive Sunday. The model is BLACK+DECKER BDINF20C. It does not come with a battery, but if you have any 20v B+D cordless yard tools, they use the same battery. If nothing else, the B+D cordless hot glue gun really comes in handy and has a much faster heat time than industrial grade corded models. Uline corded was 4+mins to use. The B+D hot glue gun is about 90 seconds.

A couple things I found handy... When running water in toilet to do a good cleaning, I can put a C Clamp on the vanity door and swing the door open, the clamp holds the toilet  pedal down and keeps valve open.  I also found ?Bubble Level? Apps on the phone and IPad are good surface bubble levels, easier than any other level I have found, just lay the phone on the floor.  They also show degrees, which is useful for determining if it is safe to start the refrigerator
Byron Woods

John From Detroit said:

THIS may save my busted knuckles!!!

Currently 18 pages of hints and I found a game changer!

The idea to use an oil filter wrench on our waste connections worked like a charm!! Thanks!

Lou Schneider said:
How about something purpose-made for the task?

RhinoFLEX Swivel Fitting Wrench Set

I have a pair of those and they are JUNK do not fit the fittings and do not work.

The oil filter wrench however is fantastic. Absolute pleasure  I'm still wondering why it took me so long to think o fit.  I've spoken to several RV deralers and accessory storesd and about half of them make the samer recommendation to their customers.

Regarding the smoke alarm, I removed old one and replaced with a First Alert smoke detector I got a Lowe?s.  Has a 10 year battery.  Placed one in kitchen area and one in bedroom.  No worries for 10 years ?????

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom