Hints, Tricks and Gadgets/Tools --- small ones.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Keep a fresh unopened tube of silicone caulk in your RV for small emergency leak repairs.  We were sitting in a driving rain the other day and noticed water coming in through the window over the kitchen counter.  You could see a tiny bit of daylight at the top-middle where the sliding section closes and locks.  We had never had it happen before since the awning is usually out on that side.  This day it was too windy to have the awning out. 

After the rain quit, I pulled a picnic table up to the side of the MH and stood on it to caulk the top of the window frame and fill the little gap in the frame joint with my tube of silicone.  I recommend that once you open a tube, you buy another tube and keep it as a spare since the opened one's contents will eventually get hard (cure) over the next few months.  I recommend clear since it will be the least noticable over the widest range of colors to be repaired.

I also carry a roll of Eternabond tape for more significant (roof) leak repair.

Given my required use of a picnic table above, I suppose another tip would be to carry a 3-4 step ladder, if you have the room & weight available.

Ron said:
I would not recommend silicone caulk but something like Dicor caulk.
Definitely, for a roof repair.

My tip was for something small (toothpaste-tube size) and cheap (~$3) that you can carry all the time for emergency leaks and repairs.  Another time that I used it was to fix a leak at the seam between two panels in my RV shower.

There is a product called either Goop or GOO (The original was Shoe Goo IIRC) that comes in a lot of different "Flavors"

Plumbers, Household, Automotive, Sportsman and of course the original "Shoe Goo" for fixing tennis shoe souls. And I suspect other flavors as well.

Not all that strong as an adhesive, but sticks like crazy to most everything (Will eat some plastics) and dries fairly flexable and seals well.. I use a lot of it.

And though it's not all that strong as na adhesive... It is generally strong enough for most jobs.  And in fact ideal for many jobs

A small hint/trick this time.

How to repair a broken switch on the indicator control panel (Tank1, tank 2, water, propane, voltage). The activation switch lights up the information. That switch is virtually non-replaceable or impossible to get.

When mine malfunctioned, I did not remove it (it's glued in) but rather added a small push-button switch (N/O) as shown in the image attached. The wires are simply attached to the wires of the broken one. Cost less than a dollar.

carson FL

Attachments

• Ctl panel.jpg
    Ctl panel.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,109
I did some thing like that too.  Many of the switches on my coach are "indicator/Switches" that is they light up when turned on, This includes the hot water heater switches, the step lock switch and a few others.

Well, of course those tiny bulbs always burn out quickly, so you don't know if the switch is on or off.

I picked up a bunch of LED indicators at an electronics supply, these are the king that have a single led in a plastic tube about a quarter inch, in diamater, leads come out the end, you drill a hold, push it through (leads first) slip a "Speed nut" on the "Back side" (over the leads) and push it up and it's there.  Parallels the indicator in the siwthces with BOB's (Burned Out Bulbs) LED should.. Outlast me I suspect. 

I just figured out how to solve a "problem" using one of those.. Thanks for making me think of it.

This little hint/trick may be insignificant but was important to me.

(Always remember that my Winnebago is 12 years old, but good)

Re: Furnace floor vents.

There are 3 in my rig, bedroom, galley and near drivers seat. The bedroom one spurred me into action. In the middle of the night for a trip to the loo, I would have to step on that vent with raised ridges ---- ouch.

I found a 'flat-topped' vent (strong plastic, in a local RV shop). The length was close but I had to cut a bit of the bottom insert part off to make it fit in the hole. Voila, my dream came true.

2. The other vents did not bother me for that reason, but they were rather dingy and had rust around the edges. Off they came, a little sandpaper to remove the rust, a cleaning with a degreaser, a good rinse and dry, then a spray paint application with my favorite color - slate gray - ;) using 'RUST-OLEUMR. Should be good now, like new, for another 12 years.

A little side hint: If you feed your dog/cat kibbles near the vent, put a mat over it. This was also  a good time to vacuum out the air duct and clean it.

carson FL

Having trouble finding a "Truck Scale" weigh station?

I live in a small city and the closest commercial station is 30 miles away. However, I found one (free of charge) at the County sanitary dump station just 4 miles away.

They were able to check total weight, then rear axle only. Subtract one from the other and you get your front axle weight. Make your own adjustment, i.e. 1 or 2 or more people aboard.

Won't bother you with my statistics, but was able to find proper tire inflation for all tires by using the Bridgestone inflation charts. Turned out I need 70 psi all around on my 8R19.5 tires.
  Had 1/2 tank of gas and 1/4 tank of water; sort of typical.

carson FL

NEVER inflate tires on the same axle to different pressures.  Use the pressure for the side with the highest load and set all tires on that axle to the that pressure.

carson said:
Having trouble finding a "Truck Scale" weigh station?

I live in a small city and the closest commercial station is 30 miles away. However, I found one (free of charge) at the County sanitary dump station just 4 miles away.
Through our Yellow Pages, I found a moving company nearby that will weigh my rig for around $7.  Gives a printout of front and rear axle weights.

John In Detroit said:
Now all you need is right/left side weights cause sometimes you need 70 psi on one side and 80 on the other

NO NO NO NEVER EVER inflate your tires to different pressures on the same axle.  Do as Ned said inflate all tires on the same axle to the pressure required for the heaviest side as determined from the tire manufacturer inflation charts for your tire.

A rubber shower door seal, which is designed to fit under a typical glass shower door, works great as a gasket between the metal rim of a typical MH stove-top and counter.  One seal, cut in half, is enough for both sides of the cook-top.  It works great to stop the obvious rattle(s) and also prevents liquid/spillage from the counter surface seeping under the rim of the stove-top.  There is just enough room to pry up the rim and slide the rubber under. Sold at most hardware stores for about $2.

BT

This little trick is for RV owners using "Front Suspension Air Cylinders" sometimes called airbags.

If you don't already have remote valve stems via extension hoses, this may be of interest to you.

I have a P30 chassis and crawling underneath to check the pressure is virtually impossible.
The following images show my installation of the hoses and valves to a very accessible and secure spot.

Image 1) Location of valve - wide shot
Image 2) Valve - up close
Image 3) Pump used to check and inflate. (A hand operated hi-pressure pump available at bike-shops).

I installed Firestone bags and the hoses were part of the kit.

carson FL  91.0F  32.8C

Attachments

• Airbag valve lg.jpg
    Airbag valve lg.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 453
  • Airbag valve cu.jpg
    Airbag valve cu.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 374
  • Tire pump cu.jpg
    Tire pump cu.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 399
Nice job Carson. I did something similar when we had a Pace Arrow with the P30 chassis and air bags on the front. Sure beats crawling under the coach to inflate the bags.

Windshield wiper washers.....are they dribbling or spraying?

Maybe a little tune-up is required, especially if you have been using plain water instead of "Washer Fluid" for some time.

Algae builds up in the reservoir and will clog the pump and lines. (I know from experience-- my local Auto dealer wanted big bucks to fix it; 1-2 hours labor). Here is what to do:

Use a garden hose with a spray nozzle feeding lots of hi-pressure water into the tank. Let it overflow for some time. I actually used a spray wand aka black tank wand to make sure all corners would be covered.

Next, drain via a siphon hose, to about half full. Add one cup of Household Bleach (watch your eyes) and stir, then let sit for 10 or more minutes.

Engage washers once or twice, rinse windshield with hose while doing that. Then use the hose and spray technique again by overflowing, to fully remove all dirty water from the reservoir.

Next, drain the tank fully (siphon out) and refill with fresh water and run wiper washer again for a reasonable time.

Final step is to drain again and refill the reservoir with the proper "Wiper Washer Fluid".

Call it Preventive Maintenance.

carson FL.

Algae builds up in the reservoir and will clog the pump and lines.

Not only algae builds up, but also minerals like calcium if you live in an area where the water has a high mineral content.  Calcium clogs up everything - irrigation pipes, house water pipes, shower and faucet heads, swimming pool pipes, etc.

ArdraF

AdraF, maybe a heavy dose of Vinegar may help, using the same procedure with a longer timespan for letting it soak.

carson FL

Carson, you'd go through barrels of vinegar!  ;D ;D  Calcium of 500 ppm is considered high.  Ours is over 900 ppm and it ruins everything.  Our house water softener system has a backflushing feature that is wonderful and helps keep the main pipes relatively free of buildup.

ArdraF

Sounds like you have the cut the water with a knife. :D
  I hope you are not using it in your windshield washer tank.

carson

Back
Top Bottom