Hints, Tricks and Gadgets/Tools --- small ones.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
carson said:
Sounds like you have the cut the water with a knife. :D
   I hope you are not using it in your windshield washer tank.

carson

Learned a long time ago to only use windshield washer fluid in that winshield washer tank. ;D ;D

Sounds like you have the cut the water with a knife.  I hope you are not using it in your windshield washer tank.

Yup!  Nope!  :D

ArdraF

Time to rejuvenate this little topic.

Judging by the huge amount of readers (1936) I find it hard to believe that we have run out of ideas. I have a bunch more myself but feel that I have been hogging the topic.

This is supposed to be a fun topic with any and all little ideas welcome.

Take a few precious moments and post your experience, especially to help out the Newbies.

I promise, no one is going to snicker.

carson FL  73.0F (The most beautiful day of the year sofar).

P.S.: don't worry about duplication, makes an affirmative statement.

Velcro, amazing stuff !  Use it in the medicine cabinet , spice cabinets, be creative :) you would be surprised how much more room there is on the bottom of those shelves for small items.  Need a place to store your electronic remotes, slap some Velcro on the back ,mount a strip to the inside of a cabinet....tada ! ;D

Tom said:
At some point along the way (maybe multiple points) I'll capture the bones and put them in the library.

It took me a while to get around to it, but here's a first cut at organizing this collection of RVing Quick Tips. It's still a work in progress (I have more tips to add and haven't yet included the photos), but we now have a framework to build on. When time permits, I'll scour the message boards and extract other candidates for inclusion.

Haven't decided if it will stay here, or if I'll put it in the library. If it stays here, I'll add a button in the toolbar.

A big thanks to Carson for starting this topic and to all the contributors for their tips. Meanwhile, if anyone has a tip to pass along, no matter how small, feel free to respond to this topic.

Edit: Photo links added.

Edit: I also put a copy in the library here pending a decision on final location.

When we don't have full hook-ups I keep a dishpan in the sink to wash dishes then dump the dirty dish water into the black tank. Puts more water into the black tank and keeps the gray from filling so fast. 

Another way to keep from filling the gray so fast is to wash dishes outside(IF allowed--I would ask first).

De-Flappers are also a very handy gadget.

We use our TT to go to calf shows 3 times per year and EVERY time it seems there will be a storm. I use empty cardboard beer flats to put in the cabinet near the door to set our dirty shoes on since we can't leave them outside due to rain and wind.  Keeps the mud/dirt off the floor and keeps the boots out of the way.

Check the rangehood fan baffle over the cooktop. If it is stuck open or not there you lose heat and cool air through them.

The Velcro idea works. I used some thin Luan board and devised several dividers that can be moved according to the gear needed for each trip. Especially in the pantry. I used Velcro to hold the shelf divders in place at whatever spacing that was needed. They lay flat when all the space is used.

On the first day of our seven week trip out north and west in August and September, we discovered after we got to the campground that some of the cabinet doors had come open.  The highways and interstate going across north-east Oklahoma, from Ft. Smith to Tulsa and then over to I-35 and up into Kansas, were probably the culprit, with contents inside the cabinets moving back and forth causing the doors to open.  I'm sure there are a lot of solutions for this out there.  Ours was to partially make our camper kid-proof. 

We visited a Walmart in Wichita, Kansas, and, in the baby department, I found
  • a device that hooks over two knobs of opposing doors and then slides together.
  • an inside the cabinet latch that has to be un-latched after the door is partially open

Between the two of these, small bungee cords, storage containers in the cabinets to restrain the contents and redistribution of heavier items to other locations, we didn't run into any further problems.  We just had to make it part of our "rigging for the road" routine.

That trip to Walmart was interesting in a way when Karen asked for $100 back in change, by mistake, when she used the debit card.

I'll try to get some pictures of those kid-proofing devices on here.

Hey you all, this is my first post so I might be misplacing it. 
Carson, September the 18th you mentioned in your post the front air bags having the valve stems extended for easier access. 
I have a 34 foot 96 Winnebago Adventurer similar to your MH. 
I replaced the coil springs and removed the air bags and have never need the bags again.  I installed heavier coil springs than the factory ones.  The coach is higher on the front end and handles much better.

Hi Bo,

That is interesting... heavier springs. I wonder have you calculated the tension difference.
Surely another way of improving the ride.

Prior to my post from Sept I did put in new airbags  as the old ones were definitely "shot".

My ride then was horrible;; it bottomed out on minor bumps in the road, i.e railroad tracks crossing a road, or speed bumps and even smaller bumps.

After installation of new bags I was very happy. Couldn't wish for a better ride. My rig is perfectly level too. One finger steering is great.  :)

Probably cost me a lot less than what you did. Good that you are happy with your method, as long as you didn't throw the system out of alignment.

carson FL

Looked through all the tips and did not see one that I use. If it is redundant, please excuse.

If I am using a tube of caulking and stop with a partial tube, I use a small piece of aluminum duct tape . Wrap it around the nozzel and pinch shut and it will keep your caulking from setting up in the nozzel. It works for my elasticmeric type that I use.

Thanks Jerry, I've added your tip to the file. Now where on Earth did the button go  ??? I'll figure it out, but meanwhile here's a link to the RVing Quick Tips file.

Rejuvenating faded/oxidized Vinyl Stripes and Decals.

My story:    My Winnebago is 12 years old. The decals/striping were pathetic - chalky and very old looking.
  I tried various methods such as auto polish with wax of various kinds. Not very satisfactory.

Then I found a product that appealed to me, it being a synthetic Polymer (which is used in the clearcoat on modern cars).

It comes in two parts: STOP WAX? AUTO WASH and  STOP WAX?  INSTANT SHINE. Both are used for this application.

The Auto Wash is simply diluted with water to wash the surface. Immediate rinsing afterwards makes it very easy to use.
(Don't forget to read the label instructions).

The Instant Shine spray is then applied and wiped off right after. Not to be used in direct sunshine.

Since my RV is unpainted, I use it on the whole vehicle with great success. Now to the decals and striping:

1.  Remove as much surface dirt as possible; Road grime, old wax etc. ( I used a dampened rag with paint thinner/cleaner and a yellow/green kitchen pad)

2.  Remove oxidization by using auto rubbing compound (non- wax), Bon-Ami, scotch-brite pad (gentle), whatever has a mild scouring action.

3.  When done, use the Auto Wash and rinse.

4.  When dry, use the spray Instant Shine and wipe off  immediately. No buffing and polishing required. The polymers will "soak" into the vinyl and produce a luster right away. The whole process only takes minutes.

In order to "build up" a layer, repeat the spray procedure a few times, as you see fit. As time goes by, just take a few minutes over the months to occasionally re-spray and wipe off.

I am totally pleased with the results, as shown in the images below. I purchased the product at HD (Home Depot) and I think it is widely available in other retail venues. I did not take any pictures from the "before" state, just the final "after" results.

carson FL

Attachments

• Stop Wax.jpg
    Stop Wax.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 297
  • RV decals.jpg
    RV decals.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 350
  • Decal striping.jpg
    Decal striping.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 321
  • Vinyl Decal 2.jpg
    Vinyl Decal 2.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 330
I think this is were this belongs. Water Meter for your garden hoses. I have two, I use one when I fill fresh water on a long trip, don't like to haul full tank( 7+ pounds per gallon), like to haul 15-20 gal. Also use one when back flushing black tank fill to 30-40 gal. open valve. They work great!!! you can find them at http://www.h2owatch.net

[edit]To make link live.[/edit]

riverotter said:
I think this is were this belongs. Water Meter for your garden hoses. I have two, I use one when I fill fresh water on a long trip, don't like to haul full tank( 7+ pounds per gallon), like to haul 15-20 gal. Also use one when back flushing black tank fill to 30-40 gal. open valve. They work great!!! you can find them at http://www.h2owatch.net

Good suggestions.  Thanks.

Measuring A/C airflow temperature:

In general, a motor home has 2 A/C conditioners.The in-dash system driven by the engine and the rooftop/basement type of system.

For a quick check on the efficiency of either unit, an easy check is shown below.

In-dash: Use an inexpensive refrigerator thermometer (shown in picture 1)  Simple place/slide the unit into one of the dash vents and take a reading with fan set on high. Make sure the heater adjust is fully off. Wait 5-10 minutes for the most accurate reading.
    You should read approx. 45-55?F (7.2-12.?C) depending on the ambient outside temperature. The in-dash system is most efficient when the vehicle is in motion, approx. 55mph. A stationary vehicle with a hot engine/compartment will cause the A/C to be greatly negatively affected.

The maximum coldness to be expected is around 20?F less than the outside temp. i.e. 75? outside = 55? cold air.

RV ducted system: Hang the thermometer from the vent directly in the path of the airflow and take a reading. The coldness is not affected by the outside temp., rather by the ambient temperature inside the RV (see image). The 20? differential applies just the same. There is a maximum  coldness that  can be achieved, otherwise icicles will form inside your RV; not a good thing.

carson FL

Attachments

• Thermometer plain.jpg
    Thermometer plain.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 113
  • Thermometer Dash duct.jpg
    Thermometer Dash duct.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 104
  • Thermometer-RV duct.jpg
    Thermometer-RV duct.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 123
not sure if these are repaets but I thought I might chime in.......

LED replacement bulbs for 12volt light fixtures will never drain your battery set ups and will never burn out. they are a little expensive, but twice as bright, each bulb costs about 19 bucks.      http://www.ledlight.com/detail.aspx?ID=128

replumbing your propane fittings from an acme fitting http://www.bestmaterials.com/images/TYPE1-GR-ACME.jpg
to a POL fitting http://images1.hdpi.com/product/mrheater-pipefitting-F276139.jpg

this allows you to use either style of cylinder and you can use the tank exchange services at super markets while on the road.

If you want longer showers you can upgrade your 6 gallon water heater for a 10 gallon, otherwise you can install a flow restrictor inline on your ho****er line out of the water heater, you will still have pressure but not as much volume, thus extending your shower time.

want a power lift ramp on your toy hauler? use two ATV winches from harborfreight.com (about 50 bucks a piece) and mount them on the top of your frame (inside), then install eye bolts at each corner of your ramp. wire both winches to one controll. (I use this to load my harley since the ramp angle is so steep)

use an old awning arm to slope and support your sewer hose. these are pretty easy to find at most RV dealerships for free, they will extend and collapse for most 20' applications and hold the pipe in a "C" channel when you turn the support upside down.

I will throw in a few more tomorrow, gotta get up early

Actually LED lights will run your battery down.. Just takes a lot, lot lot longer

You can get a water heater from attwood that fits in a six gallon hole but heats the water hotter then uses a mixing valve to deliver 10 gallons of hot water

Just a little hint... for those with RV windshields.

What if.... if your windshield/s break, disappear etc. what will you do to find a new one.
This is probably more for those with older vehicles.

I safeguarded myself a bit by recording the entire number/s that are normally listed in the corner of the window. Matter of fact I took pictures of same for safekeeping.

See images attached.

carson FL

Attachments

• RV Windshield R.jpg
    RV Windshield R.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 306
  • RV Windshield L.jpg
    RV Windshield L.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 197
Back
Top Bottom