Hints, Tricks and Gadgets/Tools --- small ones.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zeolite? I am going to have to find this stuff. As a long time camper/RVer who has always traveled with a dog and who just returned from a 3-week trip with a smelly Labrador, I could use that stuff !! I've been relying on candles and Lysol sprays and Sam has defeated them all.

Thanks for the tip!!
Wendy

I read this post every time it has a "NEW" flag on it, Never know when you are going to get a good hint.

GOOP, it's a adheasive (mild) and sealant, Originally marked as Shoe Goo for patching holes in tennis shoes they now make a bunch of different products, Automotive, Plumbers, Sportsman, Household and more... Near as I can tell they are all the same save for the paint job but it's one very useful tube of sticky stuff.. Patches holes in most anything.

Found out the other day it will, however, eat some plastics (Thankfully I intented to throw away that piece of plastic when done so the "Damage" was 0.00 but .. Hey, got lucky on that one)

Keep the thread going!  It probably would help if members could refrain from posting so many of those "rebuttals, alternatives or chit chat" type of posts, to keep the rest of the thread easier to read.  ;)

scottydl said:
It probably would help if members could refrain from posting so many of those "rebuttals, alternatives or chit chat" type of posts....

You're right Scotty, but hoping that RVers will cut down on the chit chat - unlikely to happen; It's part of the social fabric around here and in virtually any campground or anywhere that RVers congregate. When things get way off topic one of the staffers will split/move/rename messages, but we also try not to overdo that.

Oh I'm with you guys 100%... :)  Just for this type of thread that is designed to be utilized and referred to frequently (that's my plan anyway), it may help to keep the non-essential talk to a minimum.  ;)

Here's a couple of my hints:

1.  When we bought our DS, we opted NOT to put in the rolling pull-out trays in the pantry, as they waste too much storage space.  Being almost full-timers it is generally stocked pretty well anyway.  For light, we put up those "moon" lights.  Just replaced orignal cheap ones with LEDs that work great.  (just have to remember to turn them off before shutting the door again)

2.  When traveling and the refridge is not very full and to keep stuff from "traveling" around inside, I put in empty pots or bowls whereever the need is.  This also works in the pantry, when there is space available for them.

Daisy

What are "moon" lights? With my bad eyes, I have trouble seeing in all the kitchen cupboards and need something that'll give me good light so I can find what I'm looking for. Half the time I have Mike stand next to me shining a flashlight into the back of the cupboards.

Wendy

They are small (about 6-8 in across) round battery operated lights.  You push the center of the "globe" and the light comes on.  (Gives the illusion of a shining moon) ;D  The LEDs have a high and low beam.  Not real bright, but enough to see what's inside the cupboard.  Come see mine at QZ to see if they will work for you.  They have holes for hooks if you want to hang them sideways.  I prefer them on the top and have attached them with Velcro.  Makes for easy battery changes as well.

Daisy

Daisy,

I'll bet that you and Fred have many more tips like that.

Tom said:
Daisy,

I'll bet that you and Fred have many more tips like that.

I'll bet they do.  If I recall correctly it was Fred and Daisy that turned us on to the cookware that the handles are detachable.

Daisy talked me into those stacking pans, too. Sure saves a lot of room in the pan drawer.

Daisy, the lights you described sound like the ones I have in one cupboard. Only problem is that they keep falling off....they attached with sticky tape and I think I need to screw them on. I'll have to look at yours in Qz.

Wendy

Mike (ex-f-221) said:
How about collecting the tips and creating a new "virtual book" in the RV Forum Library?

That's the plan Mike. It could be something like our Glossary of RV terms. Reminds me I need to update the glossary and revise the format.

I'm still looking for the Zeolite, too. I wonder if pet stores would carry it?

Wendy

A little hint for motorhomes A,B and C.

Have you ever felt a cold draft coming into the vehicle during a cold night?

Chances are, unless you left a window open, that the dashboard climate control switches, (vent, heat, A/C, defrost), have been left in the "ON" position before you shut the engine off.

Most RVs, (maybe not diesels) have vacuum operated air-intake vent valves/baffles. In many cases, when you shut the engine down, these valves stay where they are and don't close.

Make sure you hit the "OFF" button before engine shutdown. The outside air intake baffle will close and stay closed. Voila, no blizzard in the cabin.

carson FL  88.2F -31.2C

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom