EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Hints, Tricks and Gadgets/Tools --- small ones.  (Read 285288 times)

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
Re: Hints, Tricks and Gadgets/Tools --- small ones.
« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2008, 12:18:24 PM »
Hi Bo,

That is interesting... heavier springs. I wonder have you calculated the tension difference.
Surely another way of improving the ride.

Prior to my post from Sept I did put in new airbags  as the old ones were definitely "shot".

My ride then was horrible;; it bottomed out on minor bumps in the road, i.e railroad tracks crossing a road, or speed bumps and even smaller bumps.

After installation of new bags I was very happy. Couldn't wish for a better ride. My rig is perfectly level too. One finger steering is great.  :)

Probably cost me a lot less than what you did. Good that you are happy with your method, as long as you didn't throw the system out of alignment.

carson FL
Carson, 
 West Central Florida
Ex RV'er. (1995 Winnebago Adventurer)
2007 Buick Rendezvous, SUV / CROSSOVER

...Logic works like a charm...

Jerrygroah

• ---
« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2008, 10:30:44 AM »
Looked through all the tips and did not see one that I use. If it is redundant, please excuse.

If I am using a tube of caulking and stop with a partial tube, I use a small piece of aluminum duct tape . Wrap it around the nozzel and pinch shut and it will keep your caulking from setting up in the nozzel. It works for my elasticmeric type that I use.

Jerry Groah
Mims, Florida

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2008, 05:40:27 PM »
Thanks Jerry, I've added your tip to the file. Now where on Earth did the button go  ??? I'll figure it out, but meanwhile here's a link to the RVing Quick Tips file.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 05:42:39 PM by Tom »
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2008, 12:37:08 PM »
Rejuvenating faded/oxidized Vinyl Stripes and Decals.

My story:    My Winnebago is 12 years old. The decals/striping were pathetic - chalky and very old looking.
   I tried various methods such as auto polish with wax of various kinds. Not very satisfactory.

Then I found a product that appealed to me, it being a synthetic Polymer (which is used in the clearcoat on modern cars).

It comes in two parts: STOP WAX AUTO WASH and  STOP WAX  INSTANT SHINE. Both are used for this application.

The Auto Wash is simply diluted with water to wash the surface. Immediate rinsing afterwards makes it very easy to use.
(Don't forget to read the label instructions).

The Instant Shine spray is then applied and wiped off right after. Not to be used in direct sunshine.

Since my RV is unpainted, I use it on the whole vehicle with great success. Now to the decals and striping:

1.  Remove as much surface dirt as possible; Road grime, old wax etc. ( I used a dampened rag with paint thinner/cleaner and a yellow/green kitchen pad)

2.  Remove oxidization by using auto rubbing compound (non- wax), Bon-Ami, scotch-brite pad (gentle), whatever has a mild scouring action.

3.  When done, use the Auto Wash and rinse.

4.   When dry, use the spray Instant Shine and wipe off  immediately. No buffing and polishing required. The polymers will "soak" into the vinyl and produce a luster right away. The whole process only takes minutes.

In order to "build up" a layer, repeat the spray procedure a few times, as you see fit. As time goes by, just take a few minutes over the months to occasionally re-spray and wipe off.

I am totally pleased with the results, as shown in the images below. I purchased the product at HD (Home Depot) and I think it is widely available in other retail venues. I did not take any pictures from the "before" state, just the final "after" results.

carson FL

Carson, 
 West Central Florida

riverotter

• ---
« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2008, 06:55:48 AM »
I think this is were this belongs. Water Meter for your garden hoses. I have two, I use one when I fill fresh water on a long trip, don't like to haul full tank( 7+ pounds per gallon), like to haul 15-20 gal. Also use one when back flushing black tank fill to 30-40 gal. open valve. They work great!!! you can find them at http://www.h2owatch.net

[edit]To make link live.[/edit]
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 02:27:15 PM by Carl L »
Roger, Cindy & Dawg
03 F250-PSD 7.3-4X4-Long Box
07 Cruiser CF29RK

You can get there from here, it just takes longer

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2008, 09:03:28 AM »
I think this is were this belongs. Water Meter for your garden hoses. I have two, I use one when I fill fresh water on a long trip, don't like to haul full tank( 7+ pounds per gallon), like to haul 15-20 gal. Also use one when back flushing black tank fill to 30-40 gal. open valve. They work great!!! you can find them at http://www.h2owatch.net

Good suggestions.  Thanks.
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2008, 10:01:02 AM »
Measuring A/C airflow temperature:

In general, a motor home has 2 A/C conditioners.The in-dash system driven by the engine and the rooftop/basement type of system.

For a quick check on the efficiency of either unit, an easy check is shown below.

In-dash: Use an inexpensive refrigerator thermometer (shown in picture 1)  Simple place/slide the unit into one of the dash vents and take a reading with fan set on high. Make sure the heater adjust is fully off. Wait 5-10 minutes for the most accurate reading.
    You should read approx. 45-55F (7.2-12.C) depending on the ambient outside temperature. The in-dash system is most efficient when the vehicle is in motion, approx. 55mph. A stationary vehicle with a hot engine/compartment will cause the A/C to be greatly negatively affected.

The maximum coldness to be expected is around 20F less than the outside temp. i.e. 75 outside = 55 cold air.

RV ducted system: Hang the thermometer from the vent directly in the path of the airflow and take a reading. The coldness is not affected by the outside temp., rather by the ambient temperature inside the RV (see image). The 20 differential applies just the same. There is a maximum  coldness that  can be achieved, otherwise icicles will form inside your RV; not a good thing.

carson FL

Carson, 
 West Central Florida

full_time_toyhauler

• Has Drain Bramage
    • my race site
« Reply #97 on: March 05, 2008, 12:13:46 AM »
not sure if these are repaets but I thought I might chime in.......

LED replacement bulbs for 12volt light fixtures will never drain your battery set ups and will never burn out. they are a little expensive, but twice as bright, each bulb costs about 19 bucks.       http://www.ledlight.com/detail.aspx?ID=128

replumbing your propane fittings from an acme fitting http://www.bestmaterials.com/images/TYPE1-GR-ACME.jpg
 to a POL fitting http://images1.hdpi.com/product/mrheater-pipefitting-F276139.jpg

this allows you to use either style of cylinder and you can use the tank exchange services at super markets while on the road.

If you want longer showers you can upgrade your 6 gallon water heater for a 10 gallon, otherwise you can install a flow restrictor inline on your hotwater line out of the water heater, you will still have pressure but not as much volume, thus extending your shower time.

want a power lift ramp on your toy hauler? use two ATV winches from harborfreight.com (about 50 bucks a piece) and mount them on the top of your frame (inside), then install eye bolts at each corner of your ramp. wire both winches to one controll. (I use this to load my harley since the ramp angle is so steep)

use an old awning arm to slope and support your sewer hose. these are pretty easy to find at most RV dealerships for free, they will extend and collapse for most 20' applications and hold the pipe in a "C" channel when you turn the support upside down.

I will throw in a few more tomorrow, gotta get up early

40' rampage toyhauler
2008 F-350 Lariat CrewCab

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #98 on: March 05, 2008, 07:33:45 AM »
Actually LED lights will run your battery down.. Just takes a lot, lot lot longer

You can get a water heater from attwood that fits in a six gallon hole but heats the water hotter then uses a mixing valve to deliver 10 gallons of hot water
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #99 on: March 19, 2008, 02:06:08 PM »
Just a little hint... for those with RV windshields.

What if.... if your windshield/s break, disappear etc. what will you do to find a new one.
This is probably more for those with older vehicles.

I safeguarded myself a bit by recording the entire number/s that are normally listed in the corner of the window. Matter of fact I took pictures of same for safekeeping.

See images attached.

carson FL
Carson, 
 West Central Florida

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #100 on: March 19, 2008, 02:31:11 PM »
Well I'll be darned. Didn't think of doing that Carson. Thanks.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #101 on: March 19, 2008, 03:02:10 PM »
We have found that the glass companies that do motorhome windshields know exactly what glass to get for any make/model/year of motorhome, but it's always good to have a record of part numbers like that.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #102 on: March 19, 2008, 04:00:42 PM »
If my windshield suddenly went off on it's own my first call (Unless I was in Las Vegas) would be to Damon customer support.

In Las Vegas I'd call Dave Simpson (Who has worked on my rig)

cassandra

• ---
« Reply #103 on: March 27, 2008, 01:24:43 AM »
DEAR CARSON. ID LIKE TO INTRODUCE NYSELF. MY NAME IS CASSANDRA AND IM VERY NEW TO RVING.(SEE POST ON MAR 22 THEN MAR 26, CASSSANDRA,INTRODUCE YOURSELF) YOU'LL GET THE PICTURE. IVE BEEN BROWSING THE FORUM TO BETTER EDUCATE MY SELF AND YOUVE GOT SOOOOOO MUCHHHH REALLY IMPORTANT (SOME MAY THINK TRIVAL, NOT ME) STUFF IN YOUR HEAD THAT I  NOT ONLY NEED BUT DESIRE TO KNOW. I HOPE YOU'LL READ THE PRIOR POSTS SO YOU CAN GET A BETTER PICTURE OF WHATS GOING ON IN MY WORLD. ********A HUGE THING FOR ME IS, YES IM FULLTIME, BUT!!!! IM NOT TRAVELING, IN GOING TO BE IN PARK RESIDENT.********** NONETHELESS THE INFO IS CRITICAL TO ME. ANY AND ALL LITTLE TID-BITS (BIG OR SMALL) YOUVE GOT TO OFFER "BRING-EM-ON"!! RIGHT NOW, SINCE  READING ALOT OF STUFF ON THE FORUM 2NITE I GOT THIS KNOT IN MY STOMACH ABT LIC AND REG AND TAXES INS ETC.. HOW OR DOES IT VERY? I LIVE IN SAN DIEGO CA. THE MONTANA IS CURRENTLY REG IN ARIZONA. SHOULD I JUST TRANSFER OWNERSHIP AND GET CURRENT REG, INS ETC?? BY READING MY POSTS YOU'LL GET A BROADER VIEW. ALSO I NEED/WANT TO GET ANY AND ALL INFO ON THE UNIT. I DONT EVFEN KNOW HOW TO TURN ON THE POWER, WATER, ETC ETC ETC. OH I DID LEARN HOW TO OPERATE THE 3SLIDES HA-HA. NO JOKE HERE BUT IM A LITTLE INSCURE ON THIS MATTER AND SHOULD BE. I WISH I WAS OUT THERE TRAVELING WITH ALL OF YOU I REALLY DO, BUT THAT IS NOT POSSIBLE AT THIS POINT. MAYBE I REALLY SHOULDNT BE ON THIS FORUM BECAUSE ALL OF YOU TRAVEL, AND I DONT , HOPE ITS OK WITH ALL.    buffetnblues@yahoo.com

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #104 on: March 27, 2008, 08:58:02 AM »
Cassandra,
Please do not use all capitals in your messages. It is very hard to read and is also considered "shouting", since caps are used to denote emphasis.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #105 on: March 27, 2008, 11:53:59 AM »
Greetings, Cassandra

I see you are getting a lot of good advise from members of the forum. I am glad that you found some of my hints and tricks valuable.

Certainly most of them are well known to the experienced, but I tailored my words toward the Newbies, as good and tested ideas are not easily nor voluntarily shared by the old-timers.

I have a bunch more to come, so stand by.

Please heed Gary's advice re caps. I would also suggest that you use paragraphs more often to break up the word stream. Your message will be much more powerful if you use standard principles of writing. (I know it is hip to follow the modern method (Yahoo-talk) but it is not helping your cause.

With greatest respect,  carson FL

Carson, 
 West Central Florida

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #106 on: March 28, 2008, 04:34:21 PM »
Sandra, did I insult ypu ?

If so, my apologies.   (Polititans do it all the time) :)

carson  F
Carson, 
 West Central Florida

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #107 on: June 19, 2008, 02:59:48 PM »
I think it may be time to rejuvenate this topic.

Here is a little trick that may be of value to those with holding tank measurement problems. How full is it??

A little background: My RV has been sitting in hot weather for several months now. (90 F plus everyday).
The liquid in my tanks is about 1/3 full each, except the propane, which is full.

My sensors, much discussed, are working fine, but I thought I might offer an alternate solution for those without sensors or with troublesome sensors. My tanks are plastic and about 12" tall each. The fresh water tank is translucent, so no problem. The others are gray and opaque.

I used my little IR (infrared) thermometer to check the fluid levels. (Picture below) Just pointed at the exterior of the tank walls.

The result was as follows:

Fresh Water = above waterline = 89F....below waterline = 85F (degrees)

Gray Water  =                        = 88F                            = 83F

Black Water =                        = 88F                            = 84F

Propane      =                        = 87F                            = 87F    (Tank is full)

It appears to me that the 4-5 degree difference would be an accurate indication of a reasonable guess.  ???

Give it a try and please report your findings on this topic.

I think that if a measurement is made right after travel, this method may be faulty. Some time is required to settle things down.

carson FL 91.0F

Carson, 
 West Central Florida

Ray D

• ---
  • Jasper
« Reply #108 on: June 19, 2008, 04:13:52 PM »
OK, Carson, that idea grabbed me. Went right out and put my IR gun to work. (Unlike many, I have not had any trouble with my indicators.) (So far.) (Crossing my  fingers while knocking on wood.)  ::)

Sunny, Ambient temp = 79

Side wall of bay doors - white - of the MH was 95 in the sun - - 74 in the shade.

All tank contents were low. Might be different when fuller.

Propane- shady side: Gauge on tank reads a little over 1/4 tank. Inside indicator reads low. IR read 78.5 above level and 75 below. Agreed approximately with indicator and gauge. 3.5 deg difference, but sharply deliniated. I could tell where the top of the liquid probably was.

Water-shady side: Inside indicator reads low. Visual shows tank is about 1/6 th. IR reads 73.5 above and 71.5 below. Only two degrees difference. Might be different if there was more water. Doesn't matter as the water is visible through the tank wall.

Gray-sunny side: Inside indicator reads low. Should be low. IR indicates low. 73 above and 70 below. Note that on ths side, the higher temp is above the line, unlike the water temp on the other side. Not sure that's why, but it is different from the shady side.

Black-sunny side: Inside indicator reads half full. The yellow light is lit. 72.5 above and 70 below. The differential line indicates that the second sensor has just been submerged and should be lit, inside, which it is.

I like the idea. My differential is even less than Carson's, but repeated readings were pretty consistant and the line was fairly abrupt. I think this may work for some who are driven nuts by their indicators or have no indicators. Need more test results, from others, to add confidence but this shows promise.

Thanks, Carson.

Ray D  ;D

Boise, Idaho. U.S.A.F. Vet. Damon Challenger, Workhorse/Vortec, 2005 towing a Suzuki XL-7, 2003.

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #109 on: June 19, 2008, 05:24:05 PM »
Good stuff, Ray,

A few comments here: I believe that the temperature differences would vary a bit with the ambient outside temperature. The reason there is a difference between liquid and the air space is that the liquid evaporates slowly (through the vents) hereby reducing its temp. (The laws of physics; thats why you feel cool when you sweat).
    The air space would assume ambient temperature. Hence, in warmer climes, like here, the differences would be slightly higher. I believe that in really cool weather, there would be no indication worthwhile.

Another thing I checked was the surface temperature of the RV in direct sunlight.
On the white colored surface it was about 105 deg F. When I checked a black surface it was 140 deg F.

Moral of the story on this: Don't paint your RV black, brown, red etc. Makes for a hot inside area and lots of A/C operation, insulation or not. Even the insulation gets overheated and radiates inward.

Anyone else with opinions?

carson FL

Carson, 
 West Central Florida

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #110 on: June 19, 2008, 09:06:31 PM »
That sounds like a great way to read the real level.. Thanks.. I too carry an IR gun

AJHales

• ---
  • Little Haven-More than a destination
« Reply #111 on: June 20, 2008, 08:38:33 AM »
If I recall correctly it was Fred and Daisy that turned us on to the cookware that the handles are detachable.

Does anyone have a link to where I can get these?  :)

Thanks,

Andy
Andy
If we wait for the moment when everything, absolutely everything is ready, we shall never begin.
- Ivan Turgenev
Enjoying lifes Journey

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #112 on: June 20, 2008, 09:53:54 AM »
The ones we have are "T-Fal".  I have not seen any lately but then we have not been looking.  G
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #113 on: June 20, 2008, 11:05:47 AM »

Daisy also talked me into these pans and I love them ! Mine are by Fagor, bought them at Camping World for about $90....4 saucepans with lids and a skillet with 2 handles. Nest very nicely and take up minimal space in the RV. Plus they cook great.

Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

KodiakRV

• ---
« Reply #114 on: June 20, 2008, 11:50:24 AM »
Thanks,
Andy

I got one of these at Harbor Freight.  It seems to work well.

Edit:  Oops!  Sorry, I thought the topic was infrared thermometers... 
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 11:59:47 AM by KodiakRV »
Frank
Florida

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #115 on: June 20, 2008, 12:04:49 PM »
I got one of these at Harbor Freight.  It seems to work well.

Edit:  Oops!  Sorry, I thought the topic was infrared thermometers... 

It's actually both and a lot of other stuff too. The "hints, tricks and gadgets" subject allows for a LOT of different things being discussed.

Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #116 on: July 13, 2008, 12:02:53 PM »
Seems to me that this topic has been polluted by RICE.

Perhaps all the rice posting could be moved to the "HOMEMAKING" topic.

Respectfully,  carson FL
Carson, 
 West Central Florida

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #117 on: July 13, 2008, 12:26:40 PM »
Sorry Carson, missed that. I split the pans & rice stuff and moved them to Homemaking. Thanks for the heads up.

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #118 on: July 13, 2008, 02:06:52 PM »
Thank you, Tom.

Having made it in the top 10 for most viewed topics, we owe it owe it to the readers to keep the topic on track. I will be submitting more in the near future.  Wish other members would contribute a bit more.

carson FL    92.8F

Carson, 
 West Central Florida

saddletramp1200

• ---
« Reply #119 on: July 15, 2008, 10:22:53 PM »
I know a trick my dad taught me, and it has not failed me yet. Any brand of battery with a four year warranty can be replaced in three years with a pro rate loss (about Equal to) the cost of a dinner at a fast food place, or 4-6 bucks. The piece of mind to me is worth it. Motorhomes like battries anyway. With all the new tech the batterys have now  really makes little difference. But that's just me. Also keep a real wine cork in the tool box. If you break a 12 V light bulb off You can use it to remove the blub from the socket with less chance of cutting your hand. ;)
If I had just a little more duct tape and a longer screwdriver!
I always have the time, if You need the help!

Hosted by Over The Network