Hints, Tricks and Gadgets/Tools --- small ones.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
carson said:
 Re securing the furnace vents from dauber attacks;
  Pix one shows the open vents, vulnerable to vermin entering.
  Pix 2 shows the insertion of "horse hair", used during storage. A piece cut about 2x3" will fit nicely and snugly. Simply pull out when furnace operation is required.

This is the first experiment. Any other ideas?

carson FL

I, for one, certainly would not intentionally plug up my furnace intake and exhaust like that for any reason.

Why not spend 15 bucks or so at Camping World or some other RV parts supplier and obtain a metal flying insect screen made specifically for your furnace.  Properly mounted, you never have to worry about it, other than a visual inspection once in a while.  That way you don't run the risk of someone turning on the heater before remembering the air intake and hot exhaust outlets have been plugged.  It just might turn out to be a false economy --- at best.

Thanks, George.  Yes, you are right. My little idea is indeed a hoaky one.  :)

I was just looking for something easy for the Suburban furnace holes, to protect them while my rig is in storage in a grassy lot. Haven't used it for months now. Haven't used the furnace in a long time.

The best way to go for a permanent installation will be as you suggested. Here is the link for a screen from CW.

carson FL

I was at CW the other day, found a fantastic little item, gadget.  A lighter, one you can refuel, (butane), that is also a bottle opener.  Very sturdy and only $5.  Great gift for the $5 gift exchange.  Dang, just realized I should have gotten one for my cousin for Tday instead of another wine botle.

Keep it in the outside bin for the candels, campfire and adult beverages that are not twist offs.

carson said:
Thanks, George.  Yes, you are right. My little idea is indeed a hoaky one.  :)

The best way to go for a permanent installation will be as you suggested. Here is the link for a screen from CW.

carson FL

Hi Carson,

That's the one I had in mind.  I think you'd be a lot happier in the long run with a permanent installation.

Yes, it is Coleman.  Used it last night, I am away at a Bluegrass Fest in Brooksville.  Worked just fine.  Bet I could sell them up here for double!

I suspect you could.. Also at Tailgate events.. I mean folks who mix BBQ with BEER should love 'em

Alas.. Make mine a Dad's Old Fashion DIET ROOT Beer please

A little hint here for Kwikee Steps, a potential problem.

The wire harness from the steps to the RV innards was, in my case, bundled up and fastened to the chassis frame with a couple of small tie-wraps only. The harness is fairly substantial and weighty.

Well, the tie-wraps rotted away and I was dragging the wires on the ground while traveling down the hi-way. Luckily I noticed that at a rest stop. I proceeded to re-tie them using a fairly hefty bungy-cord. There are perfect holes in the frame to attach the hooks.

Perhaps an inspection on your setup will prevent a mini-disaster.

carson FL

For various reasons I inspect that area often.. At the very least once a year (It is turning out) usually more than that.

However.. I never really considered that the cable stays might rot away.. (But if they did.. I'd see it for sure)

Pop the valve on your propane torch for a sec. for a propane test on that alarm. Many of us have toast problems, my Endeavor's smoke alarm is plumb over the  range so  I must remove it while frying, even with fan on high vent!

carson said:
A little hint here for Kwikee Steps, a potential problem.

Well, the tie-wraps rotted away and I was dragging the wires on the ground while traveling down the hi-way. Luckily I noticed that at a rest stop. I proceeded to re-tie them using a fairly hefty bungy-cord. There are perfect holes in the frame to attach the hooks.

Hi Carson,

To replace those rotted tie-wraps with something more permanent than bungee cord you might want to consider stainless steel tie-wraps.  I bought a package at one of my favorite 'toy' stores: Harbor Freight Tools.  Just tried to find them at www.harborfreight.com but apparently they're not listed.  If you're interested I can go by the store near my home at the end of next week and see if they're still available.  With the HFT item number a search for that number might get a hit on the HFT web site.  Let me know if you want me to try getting the info.

Dolphin Jockey said:
To replace those rotted tie-wraps with something more permanent than bungee cord you might want to consider stainless steel tie-wraps.

Will this help?

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGIH_enUS222US222&q=%22stainless+steel+tie%2dwraps%22

particularly note the tiewraps.com entry.

Yes, thanks Ron. I'll definitely make it much more secure soon. The bundle of harness is immensily large, probably 10-15' all coiled up. I think I will uncoil that mess, rebundle neatly and fasten it so it will last 100 years.

Somebody must have been in a hurry when it was installed.  :)

carson FL

What I had in mind for stainless steel tie wraps is shown at http://www.tiewraps.com/stainlesst_ec_twrappage.html  I was hoping to find (in the U.S.) was smaller quanties in a package, in the $5.00 -- $10.00 range.

OK, the bottle opener/flamer is Olympian, not Coleman, although at first glance you could believe it is Coleman.  Very similar looking.  Used both functions this past weekend.  Great job!

This subject has been discussed many times in the forum.  "VALVE EXTENDERS" for your tires.

The troublemakers are the outside rear tires an most RVs. Here is my solution for easily solving the problem of checking the pressure and injecting more air.

Background: I purchased 2 nice looking units and put them on my outside tires. They worked well for that purpose... for a while. Seems like with use (driving) they will not stay in place and actually loosen up. (Centrifugal force at work, I guess).

After noticing that I lost air, I removed them. No more air leaks. Now what I do is to attach them only when I want to check the pressure and/or add air. After I am finished I remove them again (takes seconds only) and place them in my tool bag for the next time.

The units (see pix below) come in various angles, depending on your wheel/tire system. Mine was a 60? version.

My inside tires have a steel-mesh extender secured solidly by a support on the wheel covers....no problems.

A Major problem for some, an easy fix for me.

(For old info just search valve extenders with the Seach feature)

carson FL  72.1?

Attachments

• Valve Extender 60 degrees.jpg
    Valve Extender 60 degrees.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 127
Maybe I'm just ahead (or behind) on this topic (tire valves), but last year I LOOSENED my valve stems for the outside tire (Aluminum rims on the outside, so they can't be swapped to the inside ANYWAY!), and TURNED them about 75 degrees so that I can easily reach them - even with a NORMAL air chuck - and I've had NO problems since.  I guess it might do well to pay attention to the centripetal force applied as the wheel rotates - to make sure things are pointed towards the TIGHTENING side instead of the LOOSENING side :).

Just loosen the nut on the valve stem slightly and (with GREAT dexterity) rotate it around so you can access it easily - then retighten the nut.

No leaks - no problems and *MUCH* easier to check/add air than before .. I *DO* have Pressure Pro sensors mounted and rotated enough that I can take them off/on without too much difficulty.  No probs there either after several thousand miles.

Steve

Just another little hint...

One of my windshields has "permanent wiper streaks";  obviously been scratched over time before I became the owner. My rig is now 13 years old, have had it for 5 years.

Clean rubber blade wipers will not scratch. Only an abrasive will leave permanent marks.

I recommend that before you go on any trip, especially  after a time of storage, to take a minute and clean your wiper blades thoroughly with soapy water, windex, or your choice of cleaner to remove any possible dirt on them and then check with your fingernail for uniformity of pure/clean rubber surface.

Removing those old scratches seems to be an impossibility.

carson FL

Two other things along this same line.. ONE, I have seen windshields get so hot the wiper was damaged.

And two... Replace the blades every once in a while.

Back
Top Bottom