EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Hints, Tricks and Gadgets/Tools --- small ones.  (Read 279022 times)

Frizlefrak

• ---
  • El Paso, Texas
Re: Hints, Tricks and Gadgets/Tools --- small ones.
« Reply #480 on: November 24, 2015, 12:25:33 AM »
I can't resist popping them.   :D
2014 Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Palomino 30' TT

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #481 on: November 24, 2015, 07:11:13 AM »
How do you pop towels?  ::) ;D
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #482 on: November 24, 2015, 01:14:21 PM »
Grab one corner and crack it like a whip.  Of course, longer terrycloth bath towels work better than paper towels, especially those torn into short squares. ;)

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #483 on: November 24, 2015, 01:31:20 PM »
Grab one corner and crack it like a whip.  Of course, longer terrycloth bath towels work better than paper towels, especially those torn into short squares. ;)

::) :o ;D ;D ;D
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #484 on: August 17, 2016, 04:25:35 PM »
My neighbor here at the ranch came up with a neat idea when a skylight recently smashed in a hail storm. The resident RV repair guy was away for a couple of weeks, and he (the neighbor) was  unable to get on the roof. He pushed a small umbrella up through the opening, deployed it, and secured the handle. Voila! A dry coach interior until the repair guy returned.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Corky

• ---
« Reply #485 on: August 17, 2016, 05:26:25 PM »
My neighbor here at the ranch came up with a neat idea when a skylight recently smashed in a hail storm. The resident RV repair guy was away for a couple of weeks, and he (the neighbor) was  unable to get on the roof. He pushed a small umbrella up through the opening, deployed it, and secured the handle. Voila! A dry coach interior until the repair guy returned.

Oh how I like the way your neighbor thinks -- brilliant!

Corky
'05 Itasca Meridian 36G
15 Jeep Wrangler Orange toad
'86 Suzuki Samurai Camo dirt toad

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 97 Southwind 35P
    • WorKamping in Yellowstone
« Reply #486 on: August 18, 2016, 08:39:03 AM »
I use an indoor/outdoor thermometer, the kind with the readout at one end of the wire and the sensor on the other end, to see how cold my fridge is.  I just put the sensor over the door so the end is inside and leave the readout hanging on the outside of the door.  Keeps me from looking inside to check to see if it's cold or even too cold!

Even better, is the wireless remote.  I have a wall mount and a remote outside and one  in fridge, can check all the important temps instantly.
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

Old Faithful, Yellowstone Association Bookstore
1997 Southwind 35P
Toads: 1997 Honda Accord & 1986 Westfalia
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #487 on: August 18, 2016, 08:40:21 AM »
For years I complained about kneeling on gravel to dump our waste tanks while hooked up, or when I needed to rummage around in the storage bins. My knees hurt and my pants eventually had holes in the knees. A few months ago my better half came home with an inexpensive pair of knee protectors that eliminated both problems. I keep them under the passenger seat, and easily grab them as I exit the coach

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
« Reply #488 on: August 18, 2016, 08:47:47 AM »
I bought two folding utility mats like this one and keep one in the Jeep and one in the Horizon.
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

caz

• ---
  • Retired, Full Time RVing, and Lovin It!
« Reply #489 on: August 21, 2016, 11:20:54 AM »
Windshield Wiper Covers

Driving around the southwest, you don't have much rain so little need to use the windshield wipers. So I've gotten kind of lazy and hadn't taken off my covers while driving. Well, in that high wind leaving FMCA-ABQ,   both covers blew off, first time in thousands of miles. So I went to   Lowe's and bought new exact replacements---for $1.18. I use the   pre-scored foam pipe insulation, 6' long, 1" OD. I cut it in half and I have windshield wiper covers for each wiper blade for less than 60 each. Keeps the blade off the windshield and protects the rubber from the sun.

Don't know if this has been said, but think Pool Noodles for covering windshield wipers to keep the sun from dry rotting the rubber.  Works great!  Just cut them to fit. (you may need to slice them down the center, but they will still work just fine.)  We also run our water hose through pool noodles to insulate them during colder months.  At 96 cents a noodle, they are well worh it and do a great job!
Caz - SD

Quillback 424

• ---
« Reply #490 on: August 21, 2016, 03:45:53 PM »
My son and I were repairing my lawn sprinkler system and I was groaning and complaining about the hard ground on my bare knees. He walked into the garage and grabbed my 30 year old square, throw, life saver cushion from the boat and dropped it down for me to use.

Great idea, I said, now demonstrate how to use it!
Larry --  Olathe, Kansas
2012 Winnebago Sightseer 33C
2005 Trail Rated Jeep GC 4.7 L

"Only an insane society would restrict the liberties of healthy people based on the actions of the disturbed." 
John Hayward

steve-n-sueC

• ---
« Reply #491 on: November 08, 2016, 07:55:34 AM »
For those of us "mature" enough to remember curb feelers, here is an updated model.
I used swimming noodles, marked the distance I need to comfortably open my slides, and inserted them into the fence. Now I watch the noodles in the mirrors, line the rig up so they just touch and perfect parking! And if I get too close and bump the noodles, no worries!
Steve-n-Sue
08 Adventurer 38j
13 GMC Terrain

BobNSam

• ---
  • Travel/golf/reading/bridge in any order
« Reply #492 on: November 08, 2016, 09:01:33 AM »
For those of us "mature" enough to remember curb feelers, here is an updated model.
I used swimming noodles, marked the distance I need to comfortably open my slides, and inserted them into the fence. Now I watch the noodles in the mirrors, line the rig up so they just touch and perfect parking! And if I get too close and bump the noodles, no worries!
Good idea! All I need now is  hurricane fence to stick them in ;) ;D
2017 Newmar Ventana LE
2010 Chevy Equinox LTZ
Road master tow stuff
DirecTV with Genie/Trav'ler Antenna
2+2 USAF Retired (2IDGITS)

DesertDustBunny

« Reply #493 on: March 09, 2017, 03:42:58 PM »
We have manual 'scissor' type stabilizer jacks (4) on our travel trailer and rather than cranking each jack down by hand, I bought a Camco Leveling Scissor Jack Drill Socket to use with my husbands cordless drill.
It only takes us a few seconds to go around and lower/raise up each of the jacks.

BobNSam

• ---
  • Travel/golf/reading/bridge in any order
« Reply #494 on: March 09, 2017, 05:20:35 PM »
We have manual 'scissor' type stabilizer jacks (4) on our travel trailer and rather than cranking each jack down by hand, I bought a Camco Leveling Scissor Jack Drill Socket to use with my husbands cordless drill.
It only takes us a few seconds to go around and lower/raise up each of the jacks.
Great idea but caution. If leveling jack is tight or you over torque it the drill Chuck can actually screw off the drill...ask me how I know this >:( .
2017 Newmar Ventana LE
2010 Chevy Equinox LTZ
Road master tow stuff
DirecTV with Genie/Trav'ler Antenna
2+2 USAF Retired (2IDGITS)

ConductorX

• ---
  • Skully Wood and Metal
    • Class A Adventures
« Reply #495 on: September 19, 2017, 08:48:29 AM »
Great tips everyone.  I read all 17 pages and captured some good info for my MH and my future travels.

Thanks much,
"CX"
ConductorX
2004 Thor Windsport 34W - Ford V-10 Gas
2006 Toyota Sienna - TOAD (Primary)
1974 VW Thing - TOAD (Secondary)

https://classaadventures.blogspot.com/

edjunior

• ---
  • Roman Forest, TX
« Reply #496 on: September 19, 2017, 05:50:11 PM »
That's what we're here for!  Well, that, and we just like to type stuff and start "discussions" about diesel vs. gas, or Ford vs. Chevy...okay I'll shut up.
Ed.....KF5INW
2011 F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
2010 Forest River Wildcat 28RKBS
"I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!"

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #497 on: September 19, 2017, 06:34:40 PM »
Many of these tips/tricks have been collated and indexed (with a menu) in our forum library here. Looks like I need to update the file with the latest tips.

xrated

• ---
« Reply #498 on: September 19, 2017, 06:38:16 PM »
Right after I bought the Toy Hauler last fall, I installed a set of the StrapTek winches to take the place of the Blue Ox pull-ups for the WDH.  I really wanted to protect the winches themselves, as well as the straps that are on them (instead of chain).  I also wanted to protect the Electric Tongue jack from the elements when the trailer was not in use.  So quite by accident, I discovered that there are covers for sale on ebay that are being sold as "Windlass" covers for sailing boats.  I ended up buying the appropriate sizes for the StrapTek winches and one for the Electric Tongue jack and all the same color.  You can do a search on ebay and find a lot of them in different sizes/colors available.
2016 F350 Crew Cab Dually King Ranch Diesel
2017 Keystone Fuzion Impact 303
Track Bike  2008 GSX-R750
"If it ain't Fast......It ain't Fun

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #499 on: September 28, 2017, 01:18:08 PM »
From the August 2017 issue of the BOATUS magazine, here are six easy tips/hacks that can be applied in the RV world.

Hosted by Over The Network