new to campers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samsdad

We've always gone the tent route, but we've also got a couple of kids and found that it canbe kinda rough with the little ones. We've talked to a few others and think a pop up camper might be a good fit. We're looking at a few used ones from individuals and am curious what and what not to look for, outside of obvious leaks, rips & tears, damage. We've found a 9' Midas (late 70's) that's had a few leaks fixed in the past but the owner says everythings works and claims he's needing a larger one with more occupancy. Seems like a decent deal but with most things cheap, I'm skeptical.

I don't know the weight of it, but it sould be fairly light as its only 9'. Going by guide at trailerlife.com, we should be safe. We've got a '00 Ranger rated at 6620 & our Explorer slightly less. If its just the wife & I, we'd use the Ranger. With kids, Explorer. I've seen larger pop ups around the 1500-2200 range.

I would just say, don't take the owners word for it that everything works, make him demonstrate it.  That way you will know it works and be able to understand how everything works too.  Good Luck!

Ask him if you can give him a good sized deposit and take the pop-up on a weekend trial run. With a money back option, of course. Even if you just set it up in your driveway and sleep overnight in it. That's by far the best way to see & experience how everything actually works. It's amazing how much more you will observe that way.

Look at the tires - old trailers often need new tires even though they look fine. Check the  DOT date codes on the sidewalls to see if any are 7 or more years old. If so, they need to be replaced immediately, regardless of condition.

Is this a canvas covered PU or some type of vinyl? Canvas rots after awhile and I would be a bit concerned about 30 year old canvas, even when well-maintained. And I would plan on waterproofing the seams in any case.

A pop-up of that size and vintage should weigh more than about 2000 lbs, so you should be well within your towing capacities.

We eneded up letting that one go... bad feeling. Instead I located somemthing bigger and newer, a 12' 1990 Coleman Chesapeake. Unlike the Midas on ebay, this isn't a commit to buy, sight unseen. This one was set up and is in decent shape. It has new tires & wheel bearings, new bulbs (external), full LP tank. Its rained up here quite a bit lately and it was dry inside, so that's a good sign.

we drug it home and set it up in the backyard. Our 5 year old is excited. The 2 year old thinks its a playhouse. I guess in a way it is. We're taking it to a local state park this weekeknd. Electric worls fine. Haven't checked stove & sink. There's not a nearby water hookup where we're going, so that won't get checked. we've got 2 Coleman camp stoves, so we won't use the built in stove either.

took it on its maiden trip (for us anyway.) All worked well. Did get to check the water and it works. Didn't get to test the stove, but as stated earlier we've got a pair of old fashioned (even though one is brand new) Coleman camp stoves (white gas, not propane) that work just fine. Only problem we had was the cube fridge we bought on the way out of town doesn't work well... cools to about 50 degrees. Its being returned today.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom