Frustrating weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Svenska

Hello all.
Took the "new" rv away this weekend and it was far from the relaxing time we had on our last trip.
One of our ac's was not working (temps in the 90s) and the rv overheated on the way home :'( !
I am soooooooo thankful that we have a very good warranty because this would all be very expensive. ?I am very frustrated though, because, as I said in another area on the web site, our dealer is about 2 hours from us. ?We had to leave the rv there yesterday (sunday) and our dealer had to arrange for someone to bring us home. ?There wasn't a car rental agency open in the area.
:-\ ???
Sorry...I'm venting...
The rv is staying with the dealer until ALL repairs are made. ?All of them should have been made before we drove it off the lot.
Another lesson learned ( a little late!!)

One way to ensure the dealer is making the necessary repairs is to remain on site and watch them work, if this is possible for you.  Sometimes you can sleep in your RV overnight when repairs are being made, or even stay in a local motel.

That way you can see what's being done and how it's being done.  People seem to work better when they know the owner is around....human nature, I guess!

Keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks Ron and Steve.? I know this is the "minor stuff" but it is just so inconvenient and irritating.
The reality is that we did not have the option of staying on site or in a motel as we are not retired and both work fulltime.
They will keep it this week and make at least 3 big repairs.?
I know it will all work out and we will do alot more traveling.
All I want is to be confident when we drive off on another adventure. :D

Hope they get it fixed for you.  I might suggest you get a copy of work order showing what they found and what the did to repair.  For what did they find causing the overheat condition and what did they do to correct it.

I like Ron's idea to get a written report on what the correction to the problem involved, so if the correction fails, you know what to follow up.

You are quite right in wanting to be confident your equpment will not fail when you use it.  Some things do occasionally fail, but overall, when your RV and its accesories are properly maintained these surprises should remain at a minimum.

I don't like suprises like these, but a few I can live with....I prefer to be surprised with jewelry!!!
I think that once we go on our first few trips, we will get the "bugs" out. 
I know this is all to be expected but, I was too hot yesterday and NOTHING,
short of our dealer handing me the keys to that $500,000. rv I was parked next to, would have satisfied me.
We DO need to find a service center that is closer to home. 

Pat

I think many of us have had similarly frustrating times. It helps to "vent" a little  ;D

I think that you will find that most dealers, and some after market companies, will not allow you to watch in the garage area. They use the excuse that their insurance company won't allow it, which is probably BS. Campers World in Elkart tried that with me and I told them if I couldn't watch the work they were't going to do it, and they could return the parts to stock. They acquiesed very quickly.

Woody

Thanks Tom, I'm very good at venting!!
And thank you also Woody...I'll leave the "either you let us stay and watch" kinda statements to my hubby.  He's a bigger and much more "convincing" than I am..........

I am sorry for your problems and your difficult weekend. I think you will find that RV's are pretty complex ( a rolling house) and unfortunately things happen. I agree that is disappointing and I can share your frustration, but, unfortunately it can be of owning an RV.

The "RV Experience" has taught me to relax - tommorrow is a new day.

I would "trust in my dealer" until he gave me reason not to - after all, are these problems really of his doing ?

Svenska said:
Hello all.
Took the "new" rv away this weekend and it was far from the relaxing time we had on our last trip.
One of our ac's was not working (temps in the 90s) and the rv overheated on the way home :'( !

When I brought my RV home one of the AC's quit working (Worked at the dealer)... Took me a bit of time to start looking but the first and only place I looked was the main circuitbreaker panel.... (You always stop looking after you find the problem)  Still don't know why the breaker tripped... Reset it and it played.

Did find out something last night.... Rig uses standard breakers which, should one need to be replaced, or should I need to add a circuit or two, can be purchased dang near anywhere... The panel says "Progressive Dynamics" (AN excelent company by the way) And the breakers themselves..... Square-D  The #1 name far as I know, in that product line

John,

Breakers sometimes seem to have a mind of their own. Being heat operated devices, they are sometimes fooled into thinking there's too much current being drawn. Coach temperature can contribute to this problem. I suspect the coach was much cooler at the dealer, but got quite warm while on the road. I will be installing a small 120V fan to cool the breaker panel, and always keep a spare one of each size, as well as a full set of cartridge and automotive fuses. Cheap insurance. Both breakers and fuses tend to age with prolonged use at or near their rated capacity.   

Svenska said:
I don't like suprises like these, but a few I can live with....I prefer to be surprised with jewelry!!!
I think that once we go on our first few trips, we will get the "bugs" out. 
I know this is all to be expected but, I was too hot yesterday and NOTHING,
short of our dealer handing me the keys to that $500,000. rv I was parked next to, would have satisfied me.
We DO need to find a service center that is closer to home. 

Sorry you had those problems. There will be others unfortunately but perhaps not as big. We have owned  four motorhomes over the past 8 1/2 years and things have gone wrong on all of them. A good warranty is always welcome but a good service center is very important. We've learned that repairs may take longer than expected so we plan at least a week for repairs that shouldn't take more than a day or two. That way we don't become frustrated and the service personnel don't become upset. Easier said than done but it does work.  We are both retired so that makes it much easier.  :)

Just keep in mind that this is the very best way to see this great country of ours and look forward to all the fun you can have. BTW, if you find that dealer that will give you the keys to the $500,000 RV, let me know. I just might make that one my next dealer!!! ;D ;D 

I do remember a time when we were at Lazy Days having work done we met a couple who bought a brand new coach with a slide. The next morning they found it had a major leak in the slide and was all wet inside. She wanted their money back but the dealer had already sold their old coach. I told them to ask for the next model up for the same price. That didn't work but they did get the same model with an additional $6000 in options! Needless to say they were happy. :)

Thanks everyone for all the words of encouragement.
We ARE excited about our motorhome :D, problems and all, and can hardly wait for the next weekend.  My choice is Monterey...any park recommendations?
No word form the dealer yet as to replacment or repair??? of the ac and still out on the overheating.  My husband will stop by the dealer today on the way home from a trip to LA.
Hopefully we will know more by tonight.
I read in another area of the website that some of you are from the bay area or have leaved here in the past.  Any "service center" recommendations?
Thanks again for all the support. :D

I live in the greater bay area, but don't have a recommendation for you. Hopefully someone else will.

I was pretty much disgusted with the treatment we received at our dealer and have vowed never to use them again, preferring to use Monaco factory service centers. Others here have had good service from their dealers. I've not had any experience with independent service shops, although there are many in the bay area. Word of mouth is definitely your best bet if you're going to use someone locally.

Update
My husband just had to "insist" that the service department check the temperature on the ac as they were blaming the problem on a switch. It runs fine...it just puts out warm air!! ?They have had the rv a week, and although they also said the radiator issue was fixed, ?they could not tell him what they did to "fix" the overheating problem.
What happened to pride in a job well done.............I know....$$$$.
We are so out of there when this is over.

a note: ?the service manager did jump up and personally "greet" my husband when he rode up on the Harley....
that is too funny :D

I think if it was me I would insist on a copy of the work order and that the corrective action be listed on the work order.  I hope they get the AC working for you.

Please keep us updated.

Karl said:
John,

Breakers sometimes seem to have a mind of their own. Being heat operated devices, they are sometimes fooled into thinking there's too much current being drawn.

Not all circuit breakers are heat operated, Some are magnetic in nature.  I haven't a clue as to which type Square-D sells  I just know that they are well thought of in the industry and it's what's in the box in my motor home...

Could be worse... could be pushmatic

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom