Brake controller question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Riverdog

I am installing a Tekonsha P3 brake controller.  It comes with a "40A B+ trailering J-Case fuse" -- the instructions say if my vehicle has the TP2 option (auxiliary battery) then the fuse is not needed.  If I don't have the TP2 option then I do need the fuse.

My truck is a 2004 Duramax -- don't all diesels have 2 batteries??  If so, is the second battery an auxiliary battery or would it require a 3rd battery to be auxiliary. 

Any help on how I determine if I have the TP2 option would be appreciated.

I haven't had the opportunity to see a P3 manual yet, but I do not believe the second battery on a diesel would be considered an "auxiliary" battery. The second battery is wired in parallel to the first and for all intents and purposes the pair looks and acts like one big battery.

An "auxiliary battery" is an extra cost option available only on Silverado 3500's and not the standard diesel starting battery set-up, but I don't know enough to tell you how to identify whether you have it or not. If you have your original window sticker, it would be listed as optional equipment.

The safest bet would be to call Tekonsha and ask - they have good customer service.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom