the difference a weight distributing hitch can make

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baadpuppy

years ago I was living in a 30' or so holiday rambler TT in my parents back yard.  Occassionally, we desired to move it around the yard.

First time I tried hooking it to my dodge dakota (1993, 5.2L, 3.55 rear end, automatic, and seriously NOT the right tow vehicle) I couldn't get the jack off the ground.  It put the bumper on the ground instead.  So, I hopped into the old ford E350 van and had no trouble moving it around... except that the ball on the van was on the bumper, not a hitch, so turning radius was very limited.

Well, the last time we moved the TT I needed more maneuverability than the van provided.  So this time I got smart and grabbed a WD hitch and put it on the dakota.  I was so impressed by the difference it made (everything stayed level) that I even took a bunch of pictures.  Earlier today I found those pictures.

This one here really shows how level things are.  The other pictures in the group are visible here.

Just goes to show what a difference such a hitch can make.  I wish I had a picture of it without the WD in use to show for comparison.

That TT stayed in that location for over a year, then we sold it to the person we originally bought it from and they used their own TV to pull it away.

In the last two pictures, you can see where we lifted the rear of the pickup with the tongue jack.  A 1993 dodge dakota isn't really a good TV for a TT, just not enough mass in the ...rear...  ;D

Now we have no TT, and still have the old WD hitch.  I'm not sure if we'll ever find another use for it though.  ::)

anyway, maybe this will help others somehow.
jim

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom