Propane signs along highways

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John From Detroit

In traveling the US I've noticed many states that have "Propane" signs, right along with Gas, Diesel, Food and Lodging signs before a freeway exit... I gave one of Michigan's legislators a letter purposing this be done and how to do it for next to nothing (or even at a slight profit) for the Dept of Transport... I got this letter in replay;  Aldo Vagnozzi is both the Representive to Michigan State house for Farmington Hills, Michigan and an usher at my church by the way:

Dear Representative Vagnozzi:

Thank you for your recent letter regarding Mr. John Davis' request to display propane information at freeway interchanges.  The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) agrees with Mr. Davis that such information would be very halpful to tose traveling in the state by recreational vehicle (RV) and/or who may need propane for camping.  In response to this need, we have, as part of the Logo Sign Program, the option of a supplemental Propane Only sign for facilities wishing to participate.  Their logo is placed on the Gas Sign along with the supplemental Propane Only sign.  As of this time, only two such facilities participate in the Logo Sign program.  We give all facilities in the tas, food, lodging, and campign categories the opportunity to add the RV friendly symbol to their logo in order to inform motorists these services can accommodate their RV.  Both the Propane Only and RV friendly symbols are installed for a fee; unfortunately, no business has taken advantage of this option.

In regard to displaying the Propane symbol at interchanges without logo signs, MDOT would consider adding this symbol to existing general motorist service signs during sign upgrading indicating basic services available at the next interchange.  Many of these signs have been replaced by logo-signs due to the advantage of giving business identification information to the motorist..  For those existin ggeneral motorist service signs, the same eligibility criteria could be applied, and are very similar to that noted by Mr. Davis' letter.

Thank you for the opportunity to respond to this letter. If you have any further questions, pleade conact either me or John C. Friend, Engineer of delivery at {Phone number supressed for this post}

Sincerely
Kirk T Steudle  Director

(Signed by Jacqueline G Shinn for the director)

Looks like Michigan is now willing to add the PROPANE symbol to the signs which, if we spread the word to stores that can take advantage of it, is a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom