Replacing awning fabric

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Riverdog

The fabric on my TT?s awning needs to be replaced.  I can find the fabric on-line for between $200 & $300.  I've spoken to a couple local RV shops & they will sell me the fabric for appx $300 and another $160 for labor(2 hours).  I'm pretty good at handyman stuff but don't know how complex awnings are with springs, etc.  If you have experience with this please respond on whether or not this is a fairly easy process or not.  If it's just time consuming I don't mind the project.

Just made order to Camping World for fabric repl for 17' awning. Asked for OEM equlivant, mine has lasted since '97. Material: $232.23. Shipping: $67. Labor: $119.

A couple of years ago, the roll direction lever broke. Took it to an RV shop (didn't want to mess with the internal spring); the Mech had to go to hospital because he let the spring get loose and badly hurt his arm!

Can be done, but don't take any short cuts! AND- threading the awning hem into the mounting track can be a chore for one person. I decided to let someone else do it.

Regards from Fort Collins

TVEDE6 said:
I decided to let someone else do it.

Good decision. When we were on our recent trip, we heard some shouting coming from outside the adjacent coach. We looked out and were horrified to see our neighbor hanging from his awning by one finger. A strap had let go while he was doing something and the awning quickly retracted with his finger jammed. My wife got there before I did and lifted him up so he could get a foothold on one of his tires and relieve the weight hanging from his finger.

Tom said:
Good decision. When we were on our recent trip, we heard some shouting coming from outside the adjacent coach. We looked out and were horrified to see our neighbor hanging from his awning by one finger. A strap had let go while he was doing something and the awning quickly retracted with his finger jammed. My wife got there before I did and lifted him up so he could get a foothold on one of his tires and relieve the weight hanging from his finger.

Ouch! I bet that continued to be a reminder for some time before it finally healed.

Riverdog, take every comment made here very seriously.  The replacement of the awning fabric can be a dangerous process.....

With that said,  My 62 year old lady friend and I (I'm 69) just replaced a 16' A&E awning fabric without incident in about two hours.
The instructions (including cautions) can be found on-line.  I think even Camping World has them.  Just be very careful when working with the springs.  If you don't understand the forces at work, or don't feel comfortable working with this stuff, then let someone else do it.  There is no shame in being cautious... 

I also think you can find good quality replacement fabric cheaper than you stated.  Check out all Internet sources... some/most even have free shipping...  lou

Aye, that was a big ouch Ron. The end of his finger was white, as you'd expect with circulation cut off like that. I was just amazed at how well & quickly it healed. Immediate icing helped keep the swelling down.

Tom said:
Aye, that was a big ouch Ron. The end of his finger was white, as you'd expect with circulation cut off like that. I was just amazed at how well & quickly it healed. Immediate icing helped.

It is a good thing you guys were around and willing to help.  He could have lost the finger.

While you have to be very careful with the awning springs and you really need a second person to help. it is not a real difficult job. And if you get OEM replacement fabric from A&E or Carefree (whichever brand yours is), it will usually come with good instructions. It can be a bit challenging if you've never worked on one before, though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom