winegard dome satellite dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nrglog

We just bought a jayco Melbourne.  It won't  be delivered until December and I am sure I could contact them for this information but this forum is so great I'm just coming to you .

How does the Winegard dome satelite dish work.  I'm not up on this stuff.  Will I have to use Dish, Direct?.  Right now at our home we are on cable.  I have been reading some messages and I read about having to have  either dish or direct. so maybe it would be economical to switch to one of them.  Can we than take the box in the Motor Home?  Does it cost more to use it in both places? What about reception?
As you can see I know nothing about this so any information will be of great help.  I am sure this is the first of many questions I will be asking so be nice please......

Welcome aboard !, To keep it short ,the Winegard seeks out the satelite automatically and locks in for the signal,
yes you can use either one of the services,Dish or Direct but you must program your dish for the one you will use.

And yes you can use the box from home but it will not let you order PP views or certain Pay sporting events I believe. When you leave your local area you will not be able to pick up the local channels either.

I'll let the pro's fill in the details.

Ken

There are basically 2x2 types of Satellite domes...  The first two is "In Motion" and "Stationary"

In this two the names are descriptive. In motion domes will track a satellite AS YOU DRIVE, this works best with a DVR such as the Direc R-10 or the DISH-625  However read on

The next two are dishes which have to be manually told to track a different satellite and dishes that will automatically switch to a different satellite.. The Winegard dishes are in this category,  They can switch from 110 to 119, normally, in under 3 seconds (thought it says don't worry for 25 seconds)  This makes them very compatable with a Dish 311 receiver in dish-500 mode, The manual tells you how to set it all up.

Catch: DVR's require two inputs and.. Depending on how you have the programmed, may wish to see both 110 and 119 at the same time (DISH) Direc has it's own set of issues but most SD programming is on 101, so other than the network programming, which the other poster explained in part, you should have no issues.

(Side note: Single LNB  One antenna, one output,  Dual One antenna TWO outupts,, TWIN (Tripplet, Quad, ect) 2,3,4 ect LNB's with at least the same number of outputs and an optional extra input on occasion)

SWITCH or SWITCH 42: Device which allows the receiver to pick an antenna
There is good and bad about both dish and direc

Direc: Single satellite carries most all SD programming, so a Dome like the Movin-View or Road Trip can supply the receiver no problem, These appear to be DUAL lnb (One lnb, two outputs) and can "Fake" being a twin so long as you are not using a multiple receiver or DVR setup.  Dish DVR's work well with DUAL type LNBs (one antenna, 2 outputs) See HD note below

Dish: Dish splits SD programming between two satellites, The 311 receiver will work fine with the Winegard dome  DISH DVR's are 2-input 2-output so you can receive two shows at a time and either view, record, or both, both shows, You can also watch one show on one tv while spouse watches another on a DIFFERENT tv  DISH DVR's have a user interface which is very comfortable to my wife, who is traied on the REPLAY TV.. I have a very high opinion of the Replay TV.

Disadvantages: Dish DVR's do not work well with domes unless you are very careful with what you watch, If you have multiple receivers.. Odds are you are going to want something on one bird, spouse, the other,  Dish likes to nickel you to death, For example... If there is no phone line to your receiver,, $5.00 "Access fee" charge (They charge you an access fee for NOT accessing.. Crazy) Direc does not charge for this. 

Direc: The R-15 DVR is dual input (like Dish)  but ONLY ONE SET OF OUTPUTS so though you can indeed record 2 at a time, You can only watch one,  Like the Dish you may watch a show live, recorded or recording.  No phone line=No problem and no extra charge.. NO PPV though, less you order via web or operator.  The current Direc SD-DVR is the R-15,, Which per some folks who's opinion I respect (Myself and my wife among them) has the WORST user interface in the DVR business.

I really liked the 625's interface and features, Espically the dual remotes (one rf) and dual outputs  The R-15 sucks, but.. The Direc service gives me everythign I'm paying for where as with Dish.. I only got half.

ALL DVR's.  You may pause, fast forward, rewind etc.  Don't matter if live or recorded or recording. (Live is buffered)

HDTV: The Winegard dome has an optional HDTV controller, Both Dish and Direc use a 3- bird system for HDTV,  However see above comments regarding multiple receivers or multi-input DVR's. The HDTV controller works well with a single receiver only

NETWORK PROGRAMMING (ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, UPN, PBS and so on) your local network stations, with very few exceptions, are SPOT BEAMED.. To understand a spot beam, think of a spot-light beam  Imagine a stage with a map of the US painted on it, the beam lights up only where the soloist is standing as he sings his big number.. Move out of the beam and you are in the dark.  Same with the Spot beam on the satellite, it lights up your house (The soloist with the big number) and some of the area around it (About a 200 mile diameter circle)

There is something called "Distant network service" or DNS, costs extra Direc and All American Direct Communications LLC charge about the same amount, both offer your choice of East coast (New york/Atlanta) West Coast (Los Angles) (AADC-llc services Dish customers by the way)  This is on a "Flood light beam" lights up the eitire stage (Contential US and some of the surrounding waters)  Dish/All American is on 119,  Direc is on 101

Bird location.. The satellite numbers are 1/3 (Longitude) of the address of the  bird,  Lattitude is always ZERO and altitude is the proper height for GEO-SYNC orbit (Always the same as well) so the only thing we cite is the Longitude.  119 is right about Los Angles,  101 is about the middle of the country,, Detroit MI is 83 by the way

Which is better.. Depends.. As I said, I liked DISH's DVR's features, however it don't play nice with domes (A 311 (single receiver) would have done much better here.  If I could have gotten my REPLAY units to work in the motor home.. Oh well

The Direc DVR plays nice with the dome, but sucks otherwise.

Yes, you have to subscribe to one of the satellite tv services, Direct TV or Dish.  You need a satellite tv receiver in the RV as well as the dome - you didn't mention if it had one or not - but yes it could be moved from RV to home. At home you would then need another dish mounted on the house or on a tripod somewhere on the property.

You can get what is known as an "RV Waiver", which entitles you to receive "Distant Network Stations" (basically the main network feeds out of NY and LA) so that you can get tv wherever you are in the RV. Otherwise you can drive out of the range of your local tv satellite coverage, which are broadcast by regions, roughly 200 miles or so wide. But if you always camp relatively near home, that is not a concern and avoids an additional expense.

Thanks to all that replies but John in Detroit I got lost after the first sentence ha ha.  Remember I know nothing about connecting this dome.  I do appreciate what information I was able to understand.  I know that the unit has a satellite receiver installed so I assume this will eliminate so of the installation.

Thanks again and John you must be one smart guy!

Glo

We had cable at home when we bought our current coach. That had a dome antenna factory installed. We left cable alone at home since we can turn that off during the 4+ months during the summer when we travel. We signed up for DirecTV and got them to stipulate that, since I applied for the RV waiver and would only use the satellite system in the coach and could not use it at home, that we could suspend service whenever we returned home and reinstate it when we took the coach out of storage. We signed up for the national coverage with DirecTV so we get the east and west coast stations. One advantage of that is that it gives us 6 hours of prime time and we get a chance to see shows that are programmed against others we want to see. Or we can see the late shows early and go to bed early.

The install was simple. While we were in the coach, we plugged the DirecTV receiver into the coach TV feed and the antenna feed into the receiver. We then called DirecTV and they activated our account and we had TV service. We did have to call the dish manufacturer for help since the dish was installed in Indiana and we installed the receiver in Arizona. The settings were a little different and the dish had problems finding the right satellite. As you drive across country, that adjustment is made by the dish automatically.

There is a difference in programming and cost between cable and satellite. If you don't get the national feeds on satellite, just local stations, you will only be able to receive network shows within about 250 miles of your home. If you get the national feeds you won't get local news but can use your crank up batwing antenna for local reception.

Ok, I'll do it in steps.. Tell us what make/model dome you have and we will go from there.  The bottom line of my post was this:

Winegard domes (per their web site and operators manuals) should work with either Dish or Direc so long as you have a SINGLE RECEIVER.. They may or may not work with multiple DISH receivers or DISH DVR's  I"m not sure on Direc DVR's but suspect they will there.  But the manual was not clear on that.

Thanks John, I have e-mailed Jayco to get that information keep checking and I will post it as soon as I get it.  You took a lot of time on this and I greatly appreciate it.

Glo

Hi Glo,

The dealership where I have a summer job carries the Jayco line. The Wineguard system is used there as well as with some of the Allegro line. Interestingly I am having problems with my Motosat and was looking into possibly changing to a newer system. All the techs told me Wineguard was the one to use. It can be set up for either DISH or DirecTv. If memory serves me it comes set up for Direct and needs some changes made to the roof mounted dish to receive DISH but this is not a huge task. I was very skeptical about Wineguard given their less than adequate open systems but was told their dome system is very good.

I think having a satellite system when you own an RV is the only way to go. You can use it at home and then move it to the RV when you want to travel. Satellite systems are subject to outages when the rain is heavy and dome systems are somewhat more susceptible but most cable systems are using satellites to provide the service and can also go down due to rain.

If you do decide on a satellite system be sure to get the DVR such as Tivo. You'll never have to watch another commercial and it will record all of your shows without needing to program more than once!

Thanks  Jim,
Our unit comes with the Dome Satellite dish.  When you take your direct/dish  out of your home to the MH do you have to let them know?  Just what do you have to do?  We had Direct before and it came with the tivo, another name I think, and we have it with our cable now and I would be lost without it. 
Everyone is being so helpful.  Thanks a lot

Glo

In researching for my responses in this thread I downloaded and RTFM, Ur, Read the fine manuals for the Wingard dishes

The changes they mention are flipping a few toggle switches.. (DIP package) and are spelled out in the manual.

We have Dish network and also a Winegard in our coach.  All I did was take one of the receivers out of the house, put it in the coach and turn it on.  You will have to do a Check Sum on the reciever to get it to receive in the coach.  Then if you take the receiver back into the house you will have to do another Check Sum there.  It only takes about 2 minutes and your all set up.  Make sure the toggle switch's on the Winegard are set to Dish.  If you decide to change to Direct then the toggles will have to be set for Direct.  Just climb up on the roof of your coach and follow the instructions in your manual.  Only takes 2 minutes or less unless you dont like being on the roof, then of course you could become bewildered and not know where you are.............Let your dealer know what service you have & they will have the toggles preset for you.  You might even take your reciever with you & have them set it all up during your walk thru.

Since all I have is Dish, I can only speak for their service.  I have been pleased so far.  I live in the SLC UT area, I have picked up the local SLC channels over in the Denver area with no problems, even down to Pagosa Springs.  I have been as far North as Coeur D Alene Id and my local SLC channels do not work up there.  I just plugged in the receiver to the coach and never said a word to Dish.  Local stations are not that big of a deal to me.  If I want to watch CBS, ABC, or NBC then up goes the Coach antenna if needed.

Hi Glo,

Can't say I ever had to move the receiver because we were basically full timing when I got DISH and then changed to Direct. I see others have answered your question. I may have to go to a wineguard antenna as mine is failing to lock onto the satellite and I'm sure they don't have replacement parts for the controller. Still hoping it's a wiring error on my part since I had to redo the cabling.

We have a wingard dish on our fleetwood storm. I'm not sure how to get direct tv. Do I just need to get in touch with an authorized dealer or should I call Direct TV.

Thanks

Gary

Basically you need to call Direct TV. You may have trouble finding someone who understands that you have a motorhome and a need a mobile set-up, but once you do it should go smoothly.  Do you have a satellite receiver as well as the dish/dome on the roof? If not, you will need to buy one and the DTV "card" that goes with it. If you have a receiver but no card, Direct will sell you a new card for $20.

Thanks for your help Gary but we use local cable at home. When we travel locally in the summer I would like to have direct TV but hace no receiver. I found out that you can freeze your service for up to nine months and it counts as a year.

Thanks,

Gary

You can "buy" DTV receivers in lots of places but in most you are still actually leasing them, despite the $$ you paid at the store. Check carefully. You can also buy used receivers on ebay, sometimes with the card and sometimes without. Or just let DTV send you one of theirs.

RV Roamer said:
You can "buy" DTV receivers in lots of places but in most you are still actually leasing them, despite the $$ you paid at the store. Check carefully. You can also buy used receivers on ebay, sometimes with the card and sometimes without. Or just let DTV send you one of theirs.

Beaware though it only took them two trys before they got one to us that worked.

There is an issue now coming up in the next year between Direct and Dish and moble service.  Dish being the ultimate winner.  I have heard snippets but not enough to write a definitive answer.  Bad news for us because we have Direct at home and an extra receiver.

Before signing up ask some good questions.

Bill, have any references about this issue?  Dish Network's behavior in the past has been somewhat less than exemplary, so their being a winner of anything is somewhat dubious.

Back
Top Bottom