Tow Vehicle Overkill / Am I out to lunch ????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WabascaLabs

Hello,

I am new to the RV'ing  scene and hope to gain some knowledge from you Pro's who have been doing it for a while.

My wife and I are looking at 5th wheels for the room, ease of pulling, and stability.  We are currently looking into upgrading our second vehicle to be our tow vehicle, which will also double as my main vehicle to and from work.  I am looking at a gas engine due to the fact that I do not have to drive very far to and from my place of work.  A diesel engine would not get warmed up enough and I would do more damage to the engine with the short trips (4 miles to work, 2 miles to the boat launch - live by a lake, 2 miles out of town to the ATV trails).  I have looked at the differences between the 3/4 ton, 1 ton, and 1 ton duallys for hauling and pulling capabilities.  We will probably start out with a smaller 5th wheel (22 to 24 feet) and upgrade to a larger unit in a few years as most people find that they needs and wants in a RV will change the more they us them.  We do not want to have to keep upgrading the tow vehicle along with the 5th wheel.  We have been pricing out trucks and find that there is not much of a price difference between the 3/4 tons and the 1 tons overall.  I am a FORD man and have been predominately looking at the Ford trucks.  The tow vehicle we get will not get much miles on it with my work, about 10,000 miles per year plus two RV'ing trips per year.  So the tow vehicle will last us quite a number of years, and a few different RV units.  We require a crew cab to haul everyone, a long box for hauling supplies from the big city, and a 4X4 for the long cold snow filled winters up here.  Have a 1997 F-150 Supercab 4X4 shortbox at the moment as our second vehicle, but it just doesn't cut the mustard anymore.  After a little research this is the tow vehicle that we are leaning towards.  We are looking at purchasing a 2005 Ford F-350 Crew Cab, longbox dually, 4X4, with the 360hp V10 engine.  I am hoping to get a little feed back from you Pro's about my choice.  Am I out to lunch or am I going in the right direction?javascript:void(0);
Huh  Sorry in advance about the length of my first post.  I tend to get a little long winded. javascript:void(0);
Grin

Uh, that V-10 is only 355 HP and 455 Foot Lbs of torque, I know, I checked it out last week  Here is what I found

6.8-liter Triton V-10 ? for the first time, Ford?s aluminum
3-valve cylinder head, introduced on the 2004 F-150, is available
on a V-10 engine. The new 6.8-liter, 3-valve Triton V-10 is the
most powerful gasoline engine in the class, with 355 horsepower
and 455 pound-feet of torque ? both class-leading figures.
Like all of the Super Duty engines, it uses electronic throttle
control for efficiency and quick response.

Can you believe they put these in a F-150 now days (WOW)

I have a GM Vortech V-8 that dang near matches the ford  Here is the "Horsepower" on it

496 cubic inch 8100 V8 8.1 liter

340 HP, 455 Ft Lbs torque,

Only 15 HP different, no difference in torque.  Note, the Triton V-10 used in motor homes is usually the smaller one, not the one described above.

As to the 350 as a "Tractor"... I see a lot of 5th wheels and other trailers being towed by tow vehicles I consider to be way too small... The F-350 should do for all but the very biggest, and I'm not sure on those.  The Trition V-10 355 hp engine is a good one

Beware that bobtail (When not hooked to the trailer) Ford trucks tend to be a bit "light" in the tail (Tend to overstear)

But they do work well when loaded... I've spent many hours in the cab of a Ford F350 Custom and I've nothing bad to say about them other than my general dislike of Ford.  (Which applies more to cars than trucks. Ford really does make good trucks)

Thanks for the reply.
Have looked at the GMC's, but I liked the factory installed trailer brake package and the torque pull/haul mode that Ford has.
Do not know if GMC has the same.  I could not tell from what I have read on the web and have not stopped by a dealership to check on this.

Oh, I'm sure GM can come very close to Ford,  GM uses the Vortec V8 in Silverados if you order it, don't know if you can get the 8100 in a pick up though, Also don't know for sure that Ford puts the big Triton in the pickups but think they do.

In either case, the engines are close, no difference in torque and only 15 HP (less than 5 percent) so basically, they are the same

It has been a long time since I drove a GM pickup.  Long enough that any comments I made would not be current.  It's only been about a year since I drove both Ford and Chrysler (DODGE) Pickups, I much prefered the Ram for handeling over the Ford.  Much more stable, felt a lot better, that said, I had issues with the cockpit on both,  I forget just what they were but on one I liked the seat belt better and on the other I liked something else better.  again, I can't comment on GM cabs as my MH is not a pickup

I have problems with it's cockpit too.. Many of these problems come about due to a comment I made in the RV store... I was looking at t tool they have to make it easier for you to open/close those super high roof vents in your rig... I'm 6'2", I don't need no stinking tool to reach the vent :)

Yes, the 8.1L (496) is available in GM's pick-ups and the 2500/3500 models rate quite well with that engine. See http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/specifications/ for the specs.

The Allison 5-speed automatic and a towing package are also available on 2500 & 3500 series GM pick-ups.  The Allison includes an integrated Grade Braking mode to help control downhill speeds (similar to a diesel's engine retarder).

Either the Ford or the Chevy/GMC 3/4 tons would be good for your needs.  The one tons would of course also work, but have the drawback of being wider and thus a bit more to handle in the supermarket parking lot.  Be aware that a crew cab long bed truck is a BIG machine, around 21 feet in overall length and larger than most parking spaces are designed for.

Thank you guys for your advice.  Gives me some items to think over.  Will have to start hitting a few dealerships and check things out in person.  Have been told by some others that a 3/4 ton would probably do me.  Just did not want to have to upgrade the tow vehicle in a few years, if and when we upgraded our 5th wheel.

WabascaLabs said:
Thanks for the reply.
Have looked at the GMC's, but I liked the factory installed trailer brake package and the torque pull/haul mode that Ford has.
Do not know if GMC has the same. I could not tell from what I have read on the web and have not stopped by a dealership to check on this.

GMC has the tow/haul mode, it pushs the shift points higher to better use the engine and run the tranny cooler. As far as the controller is concerned GM provides a harness that goes to the fiirewall connector the other attaches to the purchased controller. I have a Prodigy controller. I have had  many diferent controllers this is the best! Unless Ford has the Prodigy I would rather put my own in.

Nelson

The difference between a 3/4 ton and a 1 ton pick-up is only in the weight carrying capacity at the rear axle - the dual tire rear axle on the 1-ton can carry more weight.  The towing capacity, i.e. the GCWR, is exactly the same in both of them and the extra weight of the dual axle/tires actually reduces the net towing capacity (max trailer weight) by a few hundred pounds.  The duallie 1-ton also has a more rubber on the road and a wider stance, giving it a bit more stabbility in extreme situations.  By the way, F350's and Chevy/Dodge 3500's are available in what is known as "Single Rear Wheel" configurations [SRW], which means no dual tires on the rear axle.  The SRW configuration is nearly identical to a 3/4 ton and you have to read the detailed specs to spot the differences.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom