Walleye Fishing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never fished for them, but on TV I have seen Roland Martin fish them, does that count? 

FX said:
I've never fished for them, but on TV I have seen Roland Martin fish them, does that count?

Hi FX, I'm beginning to wonder of you fish the Delta via TV. We're still waiting to see the photo of the big one  ;D

BTW did you see the illustrated article I wrote about the Delta? Click the Library button, select Places to go and things to do, the click The California Delta experience. We also have one called RV Parks on the California Delta in the Places to stay area of the library. I have a few others in early draft form e.g. Boating on the Delta and Fishing on the Delta, but haven't decided if I'll finish them. It's one of those things that depends very much on me being in the mood for creative writing  in addition to either knowing or researching the relevant information.

Waterdog, thanks for posting that. Like FX, I've never fished for walleye, but have seen them caught on TV numerous times. Somehow, watching it on TV doesn't hold a candle to actually being on the water and wetting a line.

What are the fishing license &/or permit requirements in Canada for non-residents?

Where in Baja will you be staying? Do you go out on a charter boat down there?

Tom- Can't post a picture of something I haven't caught! :mad:

Tom said:
Waterdog, thanks for posting that. Like FX, I've never fished for walleye, but have seen them caught on TV numerous times. Somehow, watching it on TV doesn't hold a candle to actually being on the water and wetting a line.

What are the fishing license &/or permit requirements in Canada for non-residents?

Where in Baja will you be staying? Do you go out on a charter boat down there?

You bet!? Nothing beats being out in the boat or standing in a stream...fishing.? I get real bored watching those TV shows..cuz I know how some of them are made..and it ain't 'fishing!'? Staged and plotted...no suspense.? But, hey, I guess it beats watching tennis or hockey!

Canada differs from province to province..but Sask charges about 135 US for a waterfowl hunting license and around $50 for a fishing license.? You can buy a short one or a season-long one.? Good buys.? You need your proof of citizenship, passport, or driver's license to buy a permit.? Manitoba and some other provinces are? barbless, so bend the barbs down on your hooks BEFORE you put that rod in the boat.? ANY barbed hook in the boat will get you a hefty fine.? We always bend the barbs down wherever we are anyway, so no sweat for us.? Be sure to check whatever province you are in on barbless and catch and release limits.? Also size limits (slot size in affect in a lot of areas.) It is very easy to land any fish with barbless and we even do it with the smaller sal****er types.? The far north pre-Cambrian rock shield lakes are some of the beautiful scenery you will ever see.? Truly gorgeous.? We have canoed a lot of remote rivers and lake systems across western and cental Canada.? ?A remarkable experience with loons, eagles, wolves, moose, caribou, deer, bear, and lots of waterfowl.? You get hooked yourself!

We have had a beachfront home in Baja Sur, Mexico for over 30 years.? We are in the Bay of Conception (Bahia de Concepcion) just south of Mulege, Baja.? We are on the Sea of Cortez.? About 650 driving miles south of San Diego on the Baja penisula.? We keep a boat down there along with some kayaks and hobie cats.? There are quite a few good charters available in our area, although anyone with a 16-18 foot boat and good 40-50 hp motor will do real well.? Beautiful beaches to camp on..lots of calm, clear water.? Many, many RVers annually return to their favorite beaches and campsites.  Good friendships are made there.

Thanks for that info waterdog. Reading your message makes my mouth water for fishing in Canada and in Baja.

Many, many RVers annually return to their favorite beaches and campsites.

Yes, we used to have a couple on the forum from Canada who rented a space on the beach near Cabo, but subsequently bought a lot in Mulege.

Yes, indeed.  Walleyes are half the reason we go to Canada and other places with our camper.  For the dinner table, they are hard to beat.

I have owned a home near Muleger for over 30 years.  Perhaps I know the people who moved there from Cabo.  My home is in Coyote Bay just about 17 miles south of Mulege.  This area is perfect for RVers who like a little adventure.  Also some very nice parks and beaches.

I know this thread is old but I thought I would update the walley situation for us "Up North" fisherman. I just got back from a week of fishing on Lake Vermilion (Northern MN) and the bite has slowed down a bit.  We only averaged 2 fish per day - less than 1/2 of normal. They seem to prefer the evening bite now. Chubs and Rainbows worked the best (jigging) but there were a lot of people trolling Rapalas. I saw the biggest Muskie I've ever seen follow up a Smallie I'd hooked, he just floated up and hung around the boat for about 20 seconds. He must have been well over 50 inches. I just landed a 40 inch Northern a week ago in Red Lake and it looked tiny next to this guy.
BTW - this spring, Red Lake was the best walley fishing I've ever had in Minnesota.
Here is a pic of the 40 inch Northen on Red Lake

Good Luck Fisherman!!! (and women)!!!

Attachments

• Northern.jpg
    Northern.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 61
Hoo-Boy!  Nice pike, duramax04.  And I heard about the good walleye fishing at Red Lake.  Glad to hear that great lake is again open for walleye fishing.  We fished crappies there 2 springs ago and had great success.  Limits caught and we had many a delcious fish dinner.  We fished Lake of the Woods the other day and did well on smaller walleyes taken with spinners and leeches.

From the 3rd to the 6th of July we are fishing salmon out of Westport, Washington coast.  After that we head for Ft. Peck Lake in NE Montana for more walleyes, lakers, and landlocked salmon.  Later on, we are headed up to the Hanson Lake Road in Manitoba and Saskatchewan for some real scenic fishing and camping.  Life is good if you have a fishing wife!

Tight Lines!...And Good luck to all you fishermen!

Been a while since I visited.  Hope this pic shows up.  A very nice stringer of a 3 person limit of walleyes from West Central Minnesota taken this fall.  Converted a turkey fryer into a fish fryer for a major feast following this outing.

Attachments

• Pat_Mark_FallClassicWalleyes2006_resized.jpg
    Pat_Mark_FallClassicWalleyes2006_resized.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 61
Not a Fisherman, but you sure are making me hungry.  Care to send ssome this way?

Beer Batter,

Maybe you should explain to Tom how you drive your vehicle over the frozen water, get into your ice house, fire up the old stove, cut a hole through 2 to 3 feet of ice, get out the cards and a few brewskies ;D and wait for that elusive walleye. You may even want to make a hot meal or take a nap or wait till the snow storm subsides so you can see the shore. All part of winter fishing in the great northern tundra. No mosquitoes to deal with this time of the year :D.

your opicture reminded me of outr fishing trip last year to Lake Erie. We caught 72 lbs of Walleyes.  See attached picture.

Attachments

• P5260030a.jpg
    P5260030a.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 58
beer batter,  I'll have to agree,  there isn't much that can beat a mess of beer battered walleye.  I've spent many a vacation in upper Quebec fishing for (and eating) walleye.

As a fellow sportsman, I thought you might enjoy looking at these two small striped bass I caught from the surf on Hatteras Island, NC this past weekend.

lou

Attachments

• DCP_0021 (Small).JPG
    DCP_0021 (Small).JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 55
I just found out a few weeks ago that the lake, Canyon Ferry near Townsend MT, has walleye.  I'm going to have to get a rig and go after them next summer!!

The ice fishing season is just upon us here in Minnesota.  I've got a 16'x8' wheeled ice shack that cranks down to the ice.  Forced air furnace adjusted by a 12v thermostat.  Got a TV/DVD player with stereo/CD running off an inverter, or hook up a generator.  Cook top stove.  King size bed for my wife and I, with double bunk above for the kids.  It's camping on the ice over 20 feet of ice cold water.  Nothing better in my mind.

We've got 8 holes in the floor where we drill 8" holes into the ice to fish.  We put lines down overnight attached to "rattle reels".  If a fish bites the line pulls off a reel that rattles as it turns to alert you to a fish.  Nothing like waking up at 2:00am to a rattle reel when it's -10 degrees outside.  Those walleyes love the cold water.

Ever seen the movie "Grumpy Old Men"?  Those guys fished in the old style fish houses.  Newer ones have nearly all the conveniences of home, or at least an RV.  The communities on the ice like those in the movie truly do exist though.  Hundreds of ice houses all gather together on the hot fishing spots on the ice.  Many a card game and BS story occur everyday while gathering out on the ice.

Can't wait.  I put mine on the ice next week.  By the way, 12 inches of ice is typically the minimum to pull out these fish houses unless you've got an ATV in which case you can get by with around 8 inches of ice.

Has anyone had the opportunity to fish for Walleye in the Lake Ontario/Bay of Quinte/Eastern end? 

The technique is a bit different than Minnesota, but trolling with outriggers and Wally Divers (especially in the Spring) produces "hogs" in the 10-15# range for excellent photo/catch and release as these are the female breeders.  It also produces sufficient 3-5#ers to "stink up a pan".........

Why do I promote NY/Lake Ontario Walleye fishing, cause thats where I now live and the fishing is great..........I used to live in Park Rapids, Minnesota as a resort owner where the Walleye fishing was good, but NOT nearly the sizes, on a consistant basis, that we are catching here.

Keep a tight line,
razu13612

I haven't fished for Walleye for year but we used to go to Georgian Bay in Ontario and to Rice Lake fishing for Walleye.  In fact I am looking at one on the wall right now that I had mounted, it weighed a little over 10 lb.  I caught it one night trolling a jointed plug.  I always used artificial baits to fish for them.  During the day you need to let it run deep.  Then at night you can fish shallower.  But as far as eating them I still think the yellow perch is the best eating fish there is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom