Tourist or Part-time Resident??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
L

Litoralis

This will be my first snowbird venture, the question arises as to whether my winter location will want to tax me.

I live in WA, plan to stay in CA for 4-5 months.

Will I be courted by a CA taxman?

Mark

Mark,

I see no one has answered you yet so I'll take a crack at it.

To the best of my knowledge.....as long as you are not employed in any way I don't think the tax man will care.

I hope Wendy sees this, she is our resident tax person.

LiveAboard said:
This will be my first snowbird venture, the question arises as to whether my winter location will want to tax me.

I live in WA, plan to stay in CA for 4-5 months.

Will I be courted by a CA taxman?

Mark

Not as long as you do not derive income from California or start to act like a resident -- voting, entering your kids in school, or getting a resident license.  Mind you this is free advice and by definition worth every penny.

I suggest that you get the CA drivers manual, it is online somewhere, and check on your drivers license and also the vehicle licenses.  Also check the CA tax manuals for residency requirements.  They are oriented to tripping you and getting your dollars!!

Mark,

The tax people go by what they call "domicile" which is determined by where you vote, have doctors, attend church, have your primary residence (you can own homes in other states), register vehicles, and the like.  Every state is different so you have to check the tax rules of each state.  Some states also are "tougher" as to what they consider domicile.  As long as you continue to "live" in WA and only "visit" in CA, you should not owe taxes to CA - unless you start working there as previously mentioned.  When we left CA we told the Registrar of Voters that we were no longer residents, changed to doctors in our new state, changed health care insurance to our new state, changed vehicle registrations to our new state, and everything else we could to make sure we were no longer considered residents.

If you search here in the forum you'll find other threads pertaining to domicle and residency.

ArdraF

It has a lot to do with whether or not you're working in California, how long you stay in state, and also how rabid the local law enforcement folks are. When we were seasonals at Death Valley, we domiciled in Colorado, had Colorado vehicle tags, and filed Colorado out of state tax returns. Come to think of it, we were there once there for over a year as "seasonals" and didn't get hassled. We're presently on our way to Death Valley to work as volunteers for 3 months and will be ok. Just remember that California tends to be one of the more "agressive" states when hunting for people that they consider residents. If anyone should ask, you're "just visiting." And keep filing your tax returns in your official domicile state.

Enjoy
Wendy

Back
Top Bottom