How do I insure an RV lot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jane Ann

Yikes . . . I am weeks away from closing on an RV lot in southwest Florida. I made the assumption that my Ohio insurance would cover liability - wrong! My insurance company does not insure anything in Florida.

Basically, it's a driveway. My real concern is liability, not structure. I plan to rent the lot during the season, and am concerned about responsibility (translate lawsuit) if someone is hurt on my tiny property.

If you own such a property, or have knowledge or experience that would be helpful, I would like to learn more.

Thanks in advance!

Jane

Yeah, it's a problem if you have no structure that could be called a "home" on the property.  You might inquire with your Ohio company about an "umbrella policy", one that provides liability coverage for any circumstance not covered by other policies. For modest amounts (e.. $1M or less) it is usually written as an additional feature on other insurance. Depending on the policy terms, an umbrella policy may protect you if you were sued for any reason not covered by some other policy.

Since you are renting the property, there may be commercial "landlord" insurance available for it, but the prices might be scary.

Jane,

Does this park have a rental pool? If so you may be able to ride on their policy for a fee. We used to be able to do that at The Great Outdoors in Titusville but the rental pool stopped allowing it. Guess they wanted everyone to rent through them. Without a home somewhere there isn't any insurance company we can find that will insure just a lot.

The problem is a serious one because several states prohibit their insurers to conver liability on properties out of state.  Of course people from outside the U.S. cannot easily get liability insurance on a property in Florida because Canadian Insurers will not cover out of Country property.

Stand Alone policies for liability are available for an annual premium ranging from $400 to $1000, depending on the broker in Florida.

The reason TGO stopped charging for their do-called "liability" insurance is because the money they charged never provided any coverage and a claim would have been denied.  TGO Realties was not a broker, had no authority nor insurable interest in insuring those properties.

Unfortunately no one ever pressed them to give the money back  :'(

We ran into the same problem, we have lots in AZ., NV., OR., WA., we were finally able to find a insurance company that was licensed to do business in all 4 states and got a umbrella policy to cover all of them.
We researched the different insurance companies that were licensed to do business in each state until we had a list of the ones that were licensed to do business in all 4, then began the process of deciding who would be the best for the dollar charged. It takes time but worth the trouble and effort in the end.
Find all the insurance companies that are licensed in Ohio to do business then compare it against Florida, you will find many that are licensed in both places, then start getting rate quotes, you will be surprised at the varying dollar amounts, you might even find a better rate and coverage than you have currently.

My understanding is that residents of Pennsylvania are unable to extend their homeowners policy to cover property (liability) in Florida.

Back
Top Bottom