The Factory Service Experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ned

Moderator Emeritus
Why would you want factory service?  The factory knows your RV better than anyone, they will have immediate access to parts, and you won't be subject to the whims of a dealer service department, such as showing preference to the dealers customers over you.

When you want factory service, the most important step is calling far enough in advance to get an appointment for a date that's convenient to you.  We called about 3 months in advance, but at least a month would probably be sufficient.  When I called again about 3 weeks before our scheduled appointment to push it back one week, they were already full on the new date and we had to schedule for the following day.  On the initial phone call you list all of the items that you want done and set your appointment date.

About a month before our appointment, we received a letter in the mail from Monaco outlining the procedures to follow when we arrived as well as a set of maps to the various service centers in the area.  Monaco has service centers in both Elkhart and Wakarusa, we had been assigned to the Elkhart facility.  A spreadsheet with all the requested service items was enclosed, along with time and materials estimates where known.  It's important that you state all of your desired service items on the original service request as they will rarely accept addon items, unless they're safety related or keep you from traveling.  We did have some additional items that came up after our initial phone call so I sent an email to our service rep about a week before our appointment hoping that they could accomodate at least some of them.

We arrived at Monaco Plant 9, the Elkhart service facility, on Sunday for our Tuesday service appointment.  They have a 40 site campground behind the plant with water and 50 amp electric at all sites as well as a dump station.  Had the campground been full, there were 4 30 amp electric hookups next door at the Roadmaster plant that we had been told we could use.

On Monday we checked in with the receptionist and were assigned our service writer and given two signs, one for the motorhome windshield and one for the towed.  Since our actual appointment was for Tuesday, we were done for the day.  The next morning, at 0630, our service writer arrived and went over the list of service items and to our delight, all of the additional requested items were on the updated spreadsheet.  The service writer then left and went to go over the list with the service technician.  He showed up a while later and moved the motorhome to the service bay.  The routine for each day until the work was completed was for us to get the motorhome ready to move by 0630 each morning, then the tech would arrive about 0645 and take it into the service bay.  Each bay has 50 amp electric available and the tech would connect the power immediately after driving into the bay.  Monaco runs an open service shop so we were allowed to go in and out of the motorhome at any time and even discuss the work with the tech who was very accomodating in answering any questions we had at any time.  One thing you can't do is to ask the tech to do any work that's not on the list.  At about 1500 each day, the motorhome would be moved back to the campground by the tech and he would hook up the electric.

We had an extensive list so our service took nearly 8 days (6 working days).  The only night we weren't able to stay in the motorhome was the day they removed the old black water tank for replacement and they couldn't get the new one installed in the same day.  Monaco made a reservation for us and our dog at a local motel (Candlewood Suites) at their corporate rate.  This allowed us to sleep in the next morning, which was a side benefit.

When the work was completed, it was too late in the day to settle the bill so we did that the next day.  We were again delighted to find the final total was significantly less than we had estimated.  We did have a couple of minor adjustments and our service writer took care of them quickly and fairly.

While we were here, we took advantage of the parts department just a block away to get some items we had been looking for and been unable to find in the usual places.  The parts people were very helpful and the prices were fair.

We have another appointment on Monday here in Elkhart and as long as the Monaco campground isn't filled right now, they are allowing us to stay here until then.  If the campground should fill up, we would move to the Roadmaster plant next door with the 4 electric hookups but it doesn't appear we'll have to do that.  This accomodation is certainly appreciated.

All in all, our experience at the Monaco factory service center was better than we expected, even with having to get up so early in the day :)  It was certainly better than most of our dealer service experiences.  We don't have a Monaco motorhome, we have a 1997 Holiday Rambler (a Monaco brand) and we saw Beaver and Safari motorhomes here as well and they all received the same service.

Thanks for the report Ned. Sounds like you're happy campers. Your report confirms the experience we've had with both the Elkhart and Harrisburg service centers, and confirms reports I've received from both Monaco-built and pre-Monaco brand owners.

For clarification, the "factory service center" in Harrisburg is 10 miles up the freeway from the Coburg, OR factory and is housed in the old Safari factory. On the same site is the old Safari wood shop, which Monaco kept, and it supplies the cabinets for all four brands of new Monaco coaches. Also in the same building as the Coburg service center is a well stocked parts department.

In case folks weren't aware, factory tours are available (just sign up), and includes the Elkhart Roadmaster chassis factory and the Coburg wood shop. We also took a tour of the Wakarusa coach factory. In the latter case, we merely turned up unannounced and they were very willing to give us a personalized tour.

We haven't been to the Wildwood service center, but the campground at the one in Harrisburg is nicer than the Elkhart one. They also have a large dry camping area for use in the event of overflow.

Thanks for the report Ned. Sounds like you experienced the excellent service like we have always experienced when we go to the American Coach service center in Decatur.  We have never been disappointed with American Coach factory service.  Matter of fact we expect to be in Decatur in Nov for factory service.  IMHO no dealership can even begin to compare to factory service.

Ned said:
The only night we weren't able to stay in the motorhome was the day they removed the old black water tank for replacement and they couldn't get the new one installed in the same day.  Monaco made a reservation for us and our dog at a local motel (Candlewood Suites) at their corporate rate.

They picked up the hotel tab for us, and a beaver owner we met was in a hotel for 8 weeks on Monaco's dime. I suspect the difference is that both coaches were still under warranty.

Yes, you get a bit more when it's warranty service :)  But if it took 8 weeks to fix the problems, I'd seriously ask for a new RV.

Ned said:
.... if it took 8 weeks to fix the problems, I'd seriously ask for a new RV.

This was a pre-Monaco Beaver and they were offered a new identical coach. But they'd have had to refinance at what was going to be a higher interest rate and they didn't want to increase their payments. There were a lot of issues, including engine-related, but Monaco stuck with them. IIRC it took 14 or 16 weeks to get everything resolved, but only the first 8 weeks required a hotel stay. Meanwhile, the owner wouldn't let anyone drive his coach and insisted on driving it into and out of the bay every day.

8 weeks of free hotel and 8 weeks free camping - a fulltimer's dream?

Well, 8 weeks without Tivo? :(  It would have to be in the summer rerun time for us.  It does say a lot for Monaco however.

I would insist the tech drive the coach in and out of the bay so if there is an accident, it's their problem.  If the owner hits a door pillar, it's his problem and that could be very expensive.

Ned, I'm glad your experience at "Camp Monaco" was so positive.  We've always had great factory service from Monaco, at both Wakarusa and Harrisburg.

With regard to older coaches built by a previous manufacturer (Holiday Rambler, Safari, Beaver) we've been with the Monaco family through all of these acquistions and I know from comments that some of them have been difficult for everyone because of lost schematics and lack of spare parts during the transitions.  Nevertheless, my observation is that Monaco really tries hard to make the owners of these other coaches happy.  At our first Monaco rally after the Safari acquisition, they paired a Monaco tech with a Safari tech so they could learn from one another.  At that rally I was walking near one of the Monaco-Safari tech teams and I overheard the Safari tech say, "Boy, I thought we had good service at Safari, but it was nothing compared to this."  I thought that was quite a compliment to Monaco's service team.  At Monaco rallies the technicians appear one night before dinner and they always get a standing ovation from the owners.  Those people work in unbelievable heat, rain, mud, and anything else Mother Nature can throw at them and they always have a smile and pleasant word.

ArdraF

My wife and I are going down to Coburg on Monday to take the factory tour. From the shopping we have done so far we are very impressed with the Monacos and Holiday Ramblers. Being fairly close to the factory makes them seem like a good choice for us.

Mark

Mark,

When you've made you selection, you'll still buy from a dealer. We advise folks who order a new coach to insist on "factory delivery" rather than take delivery at the dealership. That way you get a service center tech (maybe several) assigned to you and you don't drive away unless/until you're happy with the coach. That process can take several days and you'll be staying (living/sleeping) in your coach the whole time, so you'll know first hand what needs fixing.

While you're at the Coburg plant, walk across the street and take a tour of the Marathon Prevost conversion factory; They'll be very tempting, but you'll have big time sticker shock that will make all the Monaco coaches look like a good deal.

markw said:
My wife and I are going down to Coburg on Monday to take the factory tour. From the shopping we have done so far we are very impressed with the Monacos and Holiday Ramblers. Being fairly close to the factory makes them seem like a good choice for us.

Mark

Good idea and furthermore I would recommend touring a few factories especially the factories on your possibility list.

The folks at Country Coach were not very friendly when we went there. Bounced us between buildings and refused to show us any coaches.

Must have been your lucky day. Although I swore I wouldn't do business with a particular dealer, I was so digusted with our treatment at CC that we went over to the dealer to see coaches. Never did get the factory tour.

To stay on topic .... CC's service center was not a lot bigger than our living room and the folks crammed in there waiting for their coaches seemed really unhappy.

We were there in 99 or 2000 if I remember right parked in the service waiting area along with John M. we were treated very good. 

Glad to hear it Ron. We've dropped in on two different Monaco facilities unannounced and they rolled out the red carpet both times. Same story at Marathon, although I made a point of telling the Marathon folks that we were only tire kicking.

We have done the same at American Coach.  Actually we have always been treated very well at every manufacturer factory tour we have done.

I didn't mention the customer lounge at Elkhart.  It was large, with some large leather recliners, large screen TV with DirecTV, a couple of sofas, tables and chairs, lots of jigsaw puzzles (for Lorna of course) and the waiting customers seemed to be happy for the most part.  Also free coffee all day and they allow pets in the waiting area, but not on the furniture.

Ned said:
I would insist the tech drive the coach in and out of the bay so if there is an accident, it's their problem.  If the owner hits a door pillar, it's his problem and that could be very expensive.

Exellent point, Ned. No owner is allowed to drive in or out of our bays just for that reason. Only the techs move coaches. It's way too easy to miss something and have a problem, especially when coming in from a sunny day to a darker bay.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom