Equalize your deep cycle batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Figure on equalizing golf cart batteries once a year. If you forget, you'll eventually notice they don't hold their charge as long and you'll know to equalize them.

Not if they're AGM batteries.  AGMs never need equalizing.

Ned said:
Not if they're AGM batteries. AGMs never need equalizing.

Although I was thinking specifically of wet cell batteries, this message reports that Lifeline Batteries recommend equalizing AGMs. Never say never  ;D

Key items from Karl's message are:

3. Equalization voltage for AGM's is 15.6 volts for 6-8 hours, may be necessary to repeat.
The chargers that we use don't normally have a setting for equalization voltage and it's typically around 16+ volts for flooded cells.

6. If you don't draw below 50% capacity (occasionally is o.k.), you shouldn't have to equalize.
It's recommended to never draw below 50% so in normal use, equalization should never be needed.

I would really hesitate to equalize a sealed battery, even if it does have a relief valve.? It's going to outgas.

Tell that to Lifeline since it was their suggestion, not mine  ;D

Ned said:
Not if they're AGM batteries.  AGMs never need equalizing.

From the Lifeline owners manual:

Equalizing should only be done when the battery is showing symptoms of capacity loss. In the event equalization is necessary, make sure to go through the normal charge cycle. Once the battery is as fully charged as possible, equalizing may begin.

Phil

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom