Best "older" type tow vehicle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ride Everything

I'm looking to buy a "tow only" vehicle.  I now have a little commuter car, and it's killing me to see my F250 4x4 sitting there day and night.  We have a nice family car already, so really all I need is a truck that can tow when we take the rig out.

The tow rating can be no less than 12,000 lbs.

I'm looking to spend no more than $10,000, and it has to be 4x4.

Any suggestions on what I can look for? Thanks

Any suggestions on what I can look for? Thanks

Go to the Trailer Life Tow Rating tables, CLICK HERE, plug in that 12,000 lb number and see what comes up.  Then go to the NADA used truck prices and see what is there for your dollars.

BTW the 4WD will cost you in money and tow ratings  -- you might ask yourself what it is going to get you. 

I'm a bit confused - you have an F250 for a tow vehicle and it is an excellent one that meets your 12k spec (asuming it is a diesel). Are you talking about trading a late model F250 for an older model tow vehicle? Be advised you will likely lose money trading down or selling privately and a dealer will only give you wholesale for it.

At any rate, I would choose an older F250 or F350 Powerstroke  or a similar Dodge 2500 diesel. Hard to beat either when it comes to towing.

Hello, I use a 96 dodge 3500  2 wd purchased in 98 as my tow unit.  I have taken excellent care of it. (122000 miles) Now pull a 35 Jayco designer.  I set the cruise on 60.  When I tried operating with gas pedal. (it's a cummins diesel) it got 11.7.  With the cruise I get 12.2 - 12.5 mpg.  Just thought I would let you know what an older dodge does.  I would suggest if you purchase a dodge built prior to 1998.5 that you change the tranny pan to hold more oil.  I installed the Mag-hitech which added 4 qts and temp gauge, just as a precaution.  Have had not any tranny trouble.

Jim

RV Roamer said:
I'm a bit confused - you have an F250 for a tow vehicle and it is an excellent one that meets your 12k spec (asuming it is a diesel). Are you talking about trading a late model F250 for an older model tow vehicle? Be advised you will likely lose money trading down or selling privately and a dealer will only give you wholesale for it.

At any rate, I would choose an older F250 or F350 Powerstroke  or a similar Dodge 2500 diesel. Hard to beat either when it comes to towing.

It's actually a V10 with the 4.10 gears, so my tow rating is 12.5K lbs.  I'm thinking about selling and buying private party.  Thanks for the tips.  I just wasn't sure how old I can go with diesel and still have a safe, reliable tow vehicle.

The diesel engine should be good for 200,000 trouble free miles. The transmission will likely wear out before that, though.

A Chevy/GMC with the Duramax diesel (NOT the 6.2L or 6.5L predecessors) is also an excellent choice, if you can find an older one. It will have the excellent Allison transmission and that's a big plus. The Duramax engine became available in 2001, so a few used ones should be around.

Back
Top Bottom