Travel trailer insurance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GF12018

I am looking for an insurance for our 26' travel trailer 2002 trail bay. I had a quote from progressive for $494!!!!
I used to have a Class C (worth twice the price) before the TT and I was paying $353.
I would like to hear what kind of price I can expect to pay for a TT insurance. I have heard that is really unexpensive (around $80) compared to a vehicle.
What type of coverage would I really need since the tow vehicle has insurance already.
Thanks for any help.

GF12018 said:
I am looking for an insurance for our 26' travel trailer 2002 trail bay. I had a quote from progressive for $494!!!!
I used to have a Class C (worth twice the price) before the TT and I was paying $353.
I would like to hear what kind of price I can expect to pay for a TT insurance. I have heard that is really unexpensive (around $80) compared to a vehicle.
What type of coverage would I really need since the tow vehicle has insurance already.
Thanks for any help.

What type?  Just collision and comprehesive at the deductable that you think you can afford.  My '96  23LV Prowler TT runs $60 for that plus $8 for towing.  The big buck item of liability is not needed for a trailer.  MY auto carrier USAA carries my trailer insurance.  If you can get your carrier to do the same it is the way to go.

My carrier is Progressive and this is exactly what I keep on telling them that TT can be added to an auto policy. I have to change from progressive. Thanks fro the tip

That $494 Progressive quote undoubtedly includes "Vacation Liability" and other features, but it is still pretty high.  It may also include specific coverages for awnings, electronics (tvm DVD, etc) , personal property (cameras, etc).

If you have a home owners or renter's policy that provides personal liability coverage, you don't need additional coverages to protect you if somebody falls into your campfire or some such. Your existing personal liability would cover that sort of thing.  Your home owners policy likely also covers any personal property you take with you in the trailer and maybe theft/fire loss to other portable equipment. Check your home opwners to see.

As Carl suggests, you would only need collision and comprehensive coverage on the trailer itself, but make sure it covers the unit when parked or stored and not just when it is hooked to your tow vehicle.  Ask the agent specifically about that and take note of the date and place of the conversation just in case an issue arised at a later date.

RV insurance prices have been going up, but you should be able to insure your trailer for collision and comprehensive (includes fire & theft) for well under $100. 

That seems real high. I use Progressive and have an 04 21' Tailgator toy hauler, and paid 250 last year and added $20k extra for contents this year (bikes, quads) and paid $380. This is for the highest insurance (agreed replacement value) which is the dollar amount I choose (pre determined) in a total loss.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom