Winterizing questions ..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

31qbss

We just returned from our last trip before the winter, and need to set about the winterizing process.  I have some questions and would appreciate your perspectives:

1.  Should we buy a cover (it's a 31ft trailer with slide out).  If we do, should we slide the slide-out in or leave it out all winter??
2.  Should we reseal the seals?  This trip we had rain water coming in the master (rear) window ... presume a seal has gone, although nothing visible.  What do you recomment for sealer?
3.  After we close the taps that let water into the tanks, how do we blow out air from the system? 
4.  Is there a preferred brand of anti-freeze?  Do I put it in the black / grey water tanks?
5.  How do I pump the antifreeze into the system?  I see a red and blue pipe near the grey/black water outlet ...
6.  Lastly ... the wheels .. should we put it on blocks for the winter?  Take the wheels off.  Cover the wheels?

We have a 31qbss - flagstaff, 31ft with one slide.  superlite.

Sue

Click on the Advanced search link above and search for winterizing and separately for winterize. Most folks advise against a cover (I've personally had a bad experience also).

I personally have never used a cover but that is mainly because I was fortunate and was shown how a cove chafes the paint.  I very strongly recommend against use of a cover.

A trick I started using on my Boat and now my MH is 'Vodka' rather than the RV Antifreeze.  It seemed that it would take about the entire boating season to get the 'antifreeze' taste and smell out of the fresh water system so I go to the Liquor Store and buy four or five half-gallons of the cheapest highest proof Vodka and circulate it through system the same way you would antifreeze and then put two bottles in the Fresh Water Tank.  Makes for interesting coffee the first trip in the spring and had the folks on the dock questioning my sobriety after I showered.

Naturally you drain and bypass the Water Heater befor you do this.  I do use antifreeze in the holding tanks.

weewun, after careful thought and some considerable scientific analysis, I have reached a conclusion.  8)

By Gosh, you're onto something there!!  ;D :D ;D ::)

Ray D  ;D

Weewun ... As a grownup, I think that's a hilarious suggestion ... but my little children probably won't be so appreciative!!!! :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom