1972 Airstream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreamimgDeb

hello, i am also new to forum . I am looking at a older airstream unit perhaps you could tell me the pro and con.s It is a 1972 2 axle and I believe a "international".Has front living room kitchen with eclectic oven then 2 couch's/beds and a bath. Exterior seems great.We have a older 1984 fleetwood trailer , that needs water pump ,a/c work and has some dry rot problems .I feel even though airstream is older, the pulling capabilities and durability might be worth the switch. What would a unit like this cost in your opinion.Thanks Deb

Has front living room kitchen with eclectic oven then 2 couch's/beds and a bath.

Sounds like the one we had in its day!  Except our had a gas oven....hardly eclectic but very practical {LOL}  I am surprised about the (typo I guess) electric oven, unless it was added later.  But electric ovens usually run on 220 VAC.  Please elaborate on the oven in this one.

Our International was 25 feet....what is the size of this one?

Have a close look at the curved front corner windows...becasuse in those years there was a problem with the dual pane window seals and condensation formed between the panes, resulting in corrosion.  I doubt is those windows could be replaced today.

Before buying, have it inspected, paying particular attention to the hot water heater, axle bearings and electric brakes all of which were "weak points" in those years.

Keep us informed of your progress!

DreamimgDeb said:
hello, i am also new to forum . I am looking at a older airstream unit perhaps you could tell me the pro and con.s It is a 1972 2 axle and I believe a "international".Has front living room kitchen with eclectic oven then 2 couch's/beds and a bath. Exterior seems great.We have a older 1984 fleetwood trailer , that needs water pump ,a/c work and has some dry rot problems .I feel even though airstream is older, the pulling capabilities and durability might be worth the switch. What would a unit like this cost in your opinion.Thanks Deb

I asked my sister-in-law about her Airstream.? She has owned 2.? This is her response.

I am not a expert ... But from my own hands on.? Check for leaks.. Also what is the length of the A.S. As in any RV you really want to know why the floor is soft. If the outer skin is good and all the systems work that is a plus. The newer longer A.S. built in the 70's had a little problem with the frame.? She can go on line and find out that info. The one we have is a 25' Trade Wind with a double axle.? It pulls great and is very comfortable. It has a double bed in center and a pull out couch forward. It is very open and has a lot of light.? As I said the longer A.S. did have a problem with weight to the rear axles. Like 29' to 30+-.? Hope that works.? There is a lot of info on the net.

Betty Brewer

thank-you for the info. Whom do you trust to have a unit inspected?? How does the corrosion on window's show?? I noticed the interior wall seems to be away from window with a gap of about 1/2".Is this normal?? I believe the unit is a 29foot per owner ,it only has 2 axles and a prev. airstream we viewed  was triple axle and was 30+ feet.Do you measure form front of hitch to rear,correct?.They have not de-winterized it,seems they think someone will just buy it.Will check oven on next trip.Has sofa in front,fold-up table then kitchen ,twin beds and rear bath with padded toilet cover/seat. Also very airy.Has a bubble like sky lights in front Lr.One of these is cloudy like it was cleaned with wrong solution. Not sure where to find out pricing for older units? Any info. appreciated ,good night Deb

Deb

If possible have the Airstream inspected by an authorized dealer or better still, if you can get it to Jackson Center, Ohio to the factory.

Check out the Airstream Website Homepage and select? Finding a Dealer.

Airstream also provides contact information HERE

Before calling, get the coach information they request on the Contact page.

If the ceiling dome is a Fantastic Fan product, the dome is guaranteed for life and will be replaced by Fantastic Fan, one of the top RV supply Companies for Customer Support.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom