Good Sam ERS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edjunior

I have a question on the Good Sam ERS.  I've been getting lots of "special" offers in the mail from them, and just want to see if it's worth checking into.  I have a 26' Travel Trailer, and have insurance on that, as well as insurance on the truck.  Do I really need the ERS?  What is so good about it above and beyond what I already have?  Would it be worth the extra money for any peace of mind it may offer?

Thanks,

We wouldn't travel without Emergensy Road Service.  Just one breakdown requiring a tow could cost more than several years worth of the cost of ERS.

Like Ron, I would not travel without ERS, especially with a Class A MH, are trailer tires easier and safer to change than a MH ?

We have Coachnet for RV use, but our AAA Plus will cover some RV towing and our insurance is with Foremost that also provides some towing benefits.

Unless, you think you can handle roadside emergencies on your own, I would invest in a ERS Policy. You will have to compare the benefits offered ans select the policy that's right for you.

ERS provides some piece of mind.

Best of luck.

IMHO Coachnet is the perfered ERS provider.  Had the Good Sam ERS until we had to use it once.  Most unorganized help desk I have ever experienced.  Why it only took them more than 5 hours to get a tow truck to us to tow us to Houstan about 30 minutes away.

An ERS does two things for you:  (1) provides towing & roadside assistance insurance and (2) locates roadside service providers and dispatches them to you.

Your auto and trailer insurance MAY have towing coverage and perhaps other types of roadside service - check your policy or ask your agent. Compare the provisions of your policy (max amounts, deductibles, other features) with the Good Sam ERS and also CoachNet ERS to see who has the better deal.  It is very unlikely that your auto insurance provides a dispatching service - it is usually up to you to find a tow truck or tire service that will come to you at the roadside.  Generally speaking, the ERS services will cost more but provide much more services.

If you are physically fit and carry spare tires and a jack for both your truck and trailer, you may have little need for an ERS.  The tires on a 26 foot trailer are not difficult to change.  But if you are 150 miles from nowhere in bad weather, a telephone call to an ERS can make a bad situation infinitely more tolerable.

Back
Top Bottom