The one that got away (almost)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
This is a got away story with a difference and with photgraphic evidence. I hooked a sturgeon and, after fighting it for some time, was able to bring it up to the boat. Then, a big swallow by a seal and I was left with only the head of the fish. I'd seen this a number of times when catching salmon, but this was a first for me to see it with a sturgeon.

Attachments

• DSC00199.JPG
    DSC00199.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC00200.JPG
    DSC00200.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC00202.JPG
    DSC00202.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 52
LOL Karl, some folks just won't believe anything they see.

Karl, just to support Tom?s story, it?s fairly common to lose your salmon to the seals and sea lions.  They follow you around as you are trolling and when you hook a salmon, they take the back half.  I haven?t seen too many sturgeon grabbed, they are usually too big.

Robert

OK Karl, I've re-attached the body to the head, switched out the fisherman, added Chris into the picture, and changed the weather  ;D. I also changed the location. This similar-sized (non-keeper) sturgeon was caught by Chris' Dad on the Sacramento river, below Rio Vista.

BTW if you run a Google search on "sea lion diet" it might lend some credibility to my earlier photo  ;)

Our favorite bait for sturgeon is ghost shrimp, followed by grass shrimp. Careful with those ghost shrimp - they have a single pair of nippers that can do some damage to your fingers!

Attachments

• sturgeon.jpg
    sturgeon.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 34
LOL Ron, I wish I were. I haven't got past the first chapter in the book for PS Elements and, contrary to Karl's beliefs, haven't yet loaded PS onto my PC  ;D

Karl said:
The true test will be when you produce some cavier at our next rally!

LOL I'm afraid that won't happen Karl. We practice catch-and-release so, even if the sturgeon is keeper size, it gets returned to the river.

Several years ago I was fishing off of a party boat off of Miami over the dropoff. We were primarily fishing for King Mackerel that inhabit the reef during the winter. Barracuda also inhabit those reefs. Twice fishermen on the boat had a fish on only to have a big barracuda cut it in half on the way to the boat. Having no prior experience with barracuda I found it astounding that they could cut those 2 foot long mackeral in half with just one bite. I had my doubts about the pelican story though.

Woody

Those mackerel must have made good eating for the barracuda.

Tom (and others),

I think Catch and Release is a great act of sportsmanship, but I've always wondered about the survival rate of those fish after release. Surely some fish become injured during the fight and through removing the hooks. Does anyone know the survival percentage? I know there have been various tagging programs that should provide some data on it. 

I'm sure you could find some data if you searched for it Karl. When I release a fish I usually see a very strong swimmer, which suggests it's not injured. OTOH I've had to put a few fish out of their misery. I don't consciously return an injured fish to the water knowing it's unlikely to survive.

Back
Top Bottom