Gas Tank Repair-Melted Lead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bschelle

I have a 87 Allegro with a 85 gallon gas tank and it has four spots where it leaks. A new tank cost almost a $1000.00 with shipping. A friend of mine suggested I could seal the leaks with the lead they use to do body work. I am familiar with the process but do not know if it withstand the test of time. Any suggestions? The tank is out and bone dry and clean!

bschelle said:
I have a 87 Allegro with a 85 gallon gas tank and it has four spots where it leaks. A new tank cost almost a $1000.00 with shipping. A friend of mine suggested I could seal the leaks with the lead they use to do body work.

I had a leaking gas tank fixed at a radiator shop.  They welded the leaking spot with something.  It worked great.

Phil

Interesting Phil. The only time I tried to get a gas tank welded they wouldn't touch it since it had contained gasoline at some point. I later learned that some shops weld gas tanks under water to avoid an explosion.

Tom said:
Interesting Phil. The only time I tried to get a gas tank welded they wouldn't touch it since it had contained gasoline at some point. I later learned that some shops weld gas tanks under water to avoid an explosion.

Yes Tom, that was the proceedure.  The shop removed the tank from the MH and steam cleaned it.  Then the tank was filled with water while the welding was being done. 

Phil

I have had success plugging leaks with JB Weld.  In one case I patched a hole in the bottom of a gas tank.  I know the patch lasted more than 45,000 mile since I had put that many miles on the vehicle with no problems or leaks after the repair.  I also patched a hole in a transaxle using JB Weld as far as I know that repair is still holding too.

I have a local radaitor shop that has done some gas tank repairs for me, They do two kinds of tank repairs

1: Welding or soldering patches for big holes and then

2: Lining the thing, it's a chemical/plastic lining, pour it in, "roll" the tank (note this means turn it over and over and over) for a while and the plastic coats the entire inside of the tank, done right every bit of metal is coated with a nice fairly thick coating of plastic.

The result is ... NO MORE LEAKS  I'd ask them about the use of anti-rust paints on the outside, I've never done that, but it might be worth asking

Back
Top Bottom