A Royal visit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I ran across this photo while scanning some photos from the family archives. On the left (seated) is Chris' younger brother when he served in the Welsh Guards and on the right is HM Queen Elizabeth II. That gives you some idea how old the photo is (circa 1970).

Attachments

• John_Queen.jpg
    John_Queen.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 61
She sure has Jim. We have another great photo here somewhere with John in full dress, and he's not sitting in front of the Queen  ;D

Tom:

Hope Chris's brother didn't share your outspoken Welsh feelings to Her Majesty.  ;D

ROTFL Jeff. If he did that, they'd have locked him up and thrown away the key  ;D

Tom,

What a neat photo!  Now, if John has children, that picture should definitely be kept in the family archives for future generations.  How great that it's digitized.  That's what I'm trying to get accomplished with my family.  Mother kept all kinds of old photos and I'm attempting to get people identified with descriptions and photos.

ArdraF

In addition to his soldier duties, John was also a tailor, and you see him sewing something in the photo. Might have been interesting if the photo was taken from a different perspective that made it appear he was sewing something on the Royal coat.

Ardra,

It's an almost daunting task. I have boxes full of photos and slides I've yet to scan and there's a trunk full at my son's house in the UK.

FWIW I have dozens of albums of family photos online that the family on both sides of the Atlantic can (and do) share. Most (but not yet all) photos are labeled with names, dates and places. In addition to going backwards, I also add new albums as newborns come along. New (recent) photo additions are easy of course, because almost everyone uses digital cameras.

Just yesterday, when I was talking with my 85 year old aunt in the UK, she told me that my cousin calls her periodically to say "Mum, there's more photos online, I'm coming over to pick you up for another show".

Tom,

You're certainly correct about it being daunting!  I feel that way too.  I'm lucky that Mother was a genealogist for about 40 years - but hers is all on paper and trying to interpret handwriting can be difficult.  I'm barely started on digitizing, but it sounds like you've made fantastic progress.  And the sharing across the pond is wonderful.

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom