Safari RV's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lancair90

Hi again;
Does anyone have any opinion of the Safari RV's .
We're looking at a '97 Saraha 35ft. I seem to remember several members not liking the later model Continentals and wondered if that translates to the mid to late 90's smaller models.
Thanks for all the input.
Harry & Darlene

I've never owned a Safari, but do know they were acquired by Monaco Coach Corporation. Monaco is doing a great job of supporting Safari owners.

lancair90 said:
Hi again;
Does anyone have any opinion of the Safari RV's .
We're looking at a '97 Saraha 35ft. I seem to remember several members not liking the later model Continentals and wondered if that translates to the mid to late 90's smaller models.
Thanks for all the input.
Harry & Darlene

We had a 1995 Safari Serengeti, ordered new from the factory. We lived in it on a fulltime basis for 9 years. We felt that the braking system was not as good as it could have been. A complete brake job was done at 40,000 miles. I wasn't happy with that. Other than that, we didn't have any serious problems with the coach. Does this '97 Sahara have air suspension?

Regards,
Jack and Liz Pearce

We have never owned a Safari but know many who did. Most have moved on to other motor homes. Not sure how much better they are since Monaco took over.

We have never owned a Safari but know folks that have most of which were not real happy with them.  However, I have heard that since Monaco bought them the support has been better than it ever was when Safari was still building them.  If it were me I would look for something else besides a Safari.  Tiffin, Fleetwood, American Coach, or Monaco comes to mind.

Thanks for the input.
We do like the Tiffins and Monacos.
Part of our thinking is, if we don't want to put a lot of money in a RV and don't want to have the problems that a gas coach with several miles can have, it may be better to buy an older diesel.
Any thoughts

Part of our thinking is, if we don't want to put a lot of money in a RV and don't want to have the problems that a gas coach with several miles can have, it may be better to buy an older diesel.
Any thoughts

Absolutely. We went from that Serengeti to a 1993 Bluebird Wanderlodge. Built like a tank with lots of quality.

Regards,
Jack Pearce

I have owned 2 Safari coaches.  A 1991 28 ft TREK with the Isuzu chassis and a 1996 Sahara 33 with the Magnum leaf spring chassis.  You really want info on the Magnum chassis pusher. There are different suspensions for the year you are interested in.  The Blue Max is a Torsilastic BF Goodrich suspension.  I have driven coaches with that type and without a few modifications they seem to wander a little.  There is a company that provides an update kit to address some of the issues with the Torsilastic suspension.  My simple, easy to maintain leaf spring suspension gives a smooth ride, but is not an 8 bag air system. It does not handle and ride as well as a 40 ft coach with a good air suspension. It also never fails to "air-up", etc.  and costs substantially less to buy and keep functional.My coach has a 3216 CAT with Alison 3060 trans.  It has plenty of power, is quiet, gets 9-10 MPG with a Honda Element TOAD.  I have no water leaks, the quality of construction seems to be good.  I know some of the 90's Safaris have had rood leak problems.  It is usually from the front and rear cap seams.  An easy, cheap fix with Eternabond.  I forget the figures but have weighed my coach full water and fuel and packed up to travel and had a very good amount of weight left before reaching max weight.  It stops fine with the 4 wheel discs.  The other actual Safari owner mentioned having brake problems.  I would like to know what was wrong that they needed "rebuilding" at 40,000.  Probably did not lube the guide pins and the calipers stuck.  I have had little trouble with either Safari, and a lot of miles and fun.  They are not a Blue Bird or Newell or Fore travel.  A same year and mileage Foretravel will set you back about $100,000 more than a well maintained, clean Safari.  Different prices, different coaches. One negative is the Onan propane powered gen set.  These Emerald units are quiet and except the control board needing to be replaced on just about every one I know of, seem to last a long time.  But the amount of fuel per hour is high compared with a diesel unit.  I have a good size tank on my Safari, but if running the gen a lot it still needs to be filled frequently.  I would much prefer a nice diesel gen set.But I like having $100,000 in the bank better! It really depends what you are looking for in a coach.  P mail me if you want more info.  Happy camping!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom