trailer weight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samsdad

We have a 1990 Coleman Chesapeake pop up, 11-12' folded up and I'm trying to figure the weight on it. We want to take it out ths weekeknd and use our Explorer to pull it rather than the truck, which is broke down. The truck has a regular class 3 hitch on it but the Explorer doesn't and I haven't been able to find anyone that carries a frame hitch for it (they can order one, but not by this weekeknd.) The bumper has a towing weight of 3500lb and the 1 7/8" ball has a weight rating of 2000lb. Would that be enough to tow this camper? I can't see the camper weighing 2000 lb. The park is about 1.5 hrs away and this would be a one time deal, somemthing to get us out this weekend til I can locate a regular hitch.

Somewhere on the camper should be a metal tag with the weight and weight ratings.  It is usually located at the front left (driver's) side of the camper.  I'm not sure this is the case with a pup, but somewhere the tag should be (maybe on the A-frame??).  The weight ratings should also be inside in a cabinet, usually by the stove (if equipped) or around the galley area.  On the inside it is usually a paper stuck inside a cabinet door.

Also, the NADA guide (Chesapeake) lists this as 1300 pounds.  It also has the length as 23'4", which is hard to believe, unless they are referring to the total length completely unfolded.

Hope this helps some.

the NADA guide (Chesapeake) lists this as 1300 pounds.  It also has the length as 23'4", which is hard to believe, unless they are referring to the total length completely unfolded

That helps alot. I've heard weights anywhere from 1200-1600lb. I figured it couldn't weight that much... there's not much to it.

We unfolded everything, set it up and measured it. its about 24' end to end fully set up. The box is about 14', not 12' as originally stated. I think the ball on the bumper will get us by for the weekend, but I'm still searchhing for a frame hitch. I'd rather go that route.

That type of trailer would typically be slightly under 2000 lbs and is designed to work with a Class I hitch, but a few go over 2000 and require a Class II.  The size of the ball coupler on the tongue (A frame) is your best indicator - if it is sized for a Class I (1 7/8" ball) it will be under 2000 lb; if sized for a Class II (2") it will be near or over 2000 lb but under 3500. The coupler rating is usually stamped right on it. 

If you can't find the couple rating or trailer DOT rating plate (left side of A frame or front left corner of the "box"), why not just weigh it?  Should be easy to find a place locally, e.g. truck stop with scales, moving van company, feed/fertilizer/grain/stone yard, etc.

I have a 1988 Coleman Chesapeake and I'm guessing with all my gear in it its around 2000#.  Its really pretty light I can't feel it all behind my Dakota.  I think if you take it easy you should be fine on the bumper.  Honestly I am thinking we could pull it with our Lexus sedan ha ha there isn't a whole lot to these trailers.  If your bumper has a rating of 2000 or higher I'd think you should be ok

Back
Top Bottom