normal temp for fridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rclark

Hello, just wondering what or how cold your fridge gets? Mine doesn't seem to want to get below 37 or 38..

Randy

Ours normally stays about 48F.  The freezer at about 8-12F.  Why would you want the refrigerator so cold?

Ned, I don't really know!! :-\ 

You don't have any trouble with spoilage at 48 ???

Thanks for the reply!!

Randy

We had our cooling unit replaced last year and the test is 38 degrtees for the frig and 18 for the Freezer.

That is with controls at Full Cold for 12 hours.

I'll chime in here too,

My old Norcold runs at 38-40 as well, my freezer goes to 10 degrees, even down to zero at times with controls at 3/4.  It is a fridge bottom and freezer top. Go figure.

carson FL

We try not to store food in the refrigerator, instead we eat it :)  We keep our temp control on 3 (out of 5) so it could go colder but we don't want to freeze things, just keep them cool.

I think your 37/38 is fine.  My home fridge comes with a thermometer and temp setting and it's pre-set to keep the fridge at 37.

Our Norcold fridge runs 34-38 at a mid-range setting on the temp control. Freezer is 0-10. Our previous Dometic was 36-38 in the fridge and 0-10 in the freezer.

Temperature will vary according to placement of the thermometer (what shelf), how stuff is placed on the shelves, outside temperature, sun loading on the outer fridge wall. These fridges rely on convection cooling (no fan unless you added one) and temp can vary quite a bit inside.

Good thing you aren't a beer drinker, Ned. 48 is Brit beer temp - unAmerican!

RV Roamer said:
48 is Brit beer temp

Only if the ambient temperature in the cellar happens to be 48. When the ambient temperature rises or falls, so will the beer temperature  ;)

Our refrigerator thermometer is hanging from the front of the top shelf so it's possible that the lower shelves are colder.  As long as the food stays cold, I really don't care :)  We don't have any beer on board, I'm not allowed to have it any longer.

rclark said:
Hello, just wondering what or how cold your fridge gets?

My last MH was a Tioga Class C and the fridge coils spring a leak, so I had them replaced by an RV appliance repair facility in Sacramento. That fridge had no adjustment for temps and was set at the factory. The repair guy said the freezer was set to zero degrees and could not be changed. Checking it out over the next few months -- it stayed right on zero degrees all the time, and that put the rest of the unit about where you indicate yours is down to.

My current MH has a side by side with 5 settings. The lowest will also be at zero degrees -- and go up from there. I keep it about 10 degrees above at the center (3) setting. That makes the Hagan Daaz just about right. :)

Bob Buchanan said:
That makes the Hagan Daaz just about right.

Bob,

Years ago that was how we knew the freezer was set to the "right" temperature - if the ice cream was just about right. Looks like that guideline is still good.

I believe normal temp is between 33 and 40, anything lower the food freezes, anything higher is unsafe, though I may be 10 degrees off on the high end, but anything in the 30's would be good

Here is another input, a quote from a source on the web.

Refrigerator Temperature Settings

Temperature settings for refrigerator and freezer compartments are given arbitrary numbers for example (1 through 9, warmest to coldest) by manufacturers, but generally 37 degrees F is ideal for the refrigerator compartment and 0 degrees F for the freezer. If you suspect a problem, test the temperatures with a refrigerator or outdoor thermometer.

2 numbers to worry about.

Ice cream sure gets hard at zero. That's why there are microwaves in RVs.  ;D

carson FL

LOL Carson, I've softened up many a tub of ice cream in the microwave.

"Hello, just wondering what or how cold your fridge gets? Mine doesn't seem to want to get below 37 or 38.."

Some refrigerators are now divided into four zones to store different types of food:

* -18 ?C (0 ?F) (freezer)
    * 0 ?C (32 ?F) (meats)
    * 5 ?C (40 ?F) (refrigerator)
  * 10 ?C (50 ?F) (vegetables)

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refrigerator#Temperature_zones_and_ratings

-Don-  SSF, CA

Hello, Just returned from Martinsville Va, been at the Nascar race the last 5 days.  :)

Had a great time and nothing spoiled, but I'm with Gary on the beer temp, had to keep that in a heavily iced cooler!! ;D ;D

Thanks for all the replys, I guess mine is doing what it's suppose too.. Gary my thermometer is on the front of the middle shelf!!

Randy

You guys are killing the true taste and flavor of beer by cooling it that much  ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom