Traveling in Canada - Insurance Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you need an insurance rider or some additional documentation for the Motorhome and toad when traveling in Canada?  I know you need it in Mexico, but I am unaware of the Canadian requirements.  Thanks in advance for your response.

When I checked with my State Farm insurance agent I was told I was covered in Canada. You might wish to call yours to be sure.

Kentucky Mac's said:
Do you need an insurance rider or some additional documentation for the Motorhome and toad when traveling in Canada?  I know you need it in Mexico, but I am unaware of the Canadian requirements.  Thanks in advance for your response.

Mac

If you call your insurance company you can request a Canadian insurance card. There is usually no charge for it. It is a means of proving, if necessary, to the Canadian authorities that you have valid insurance coverage in Canada.

BernieD said:
Mac

If you call your insurance company you can request a Canadian insurance card. There is usually no charge for it. It is a means of proving, if necessary, to the Canadian authorities that you have valid insurance coverage in Canada.

Without ithe card Bernie mentioned it can be very expensive and complcated if you don't have that card should you be involved with even the slightest accident.

Additional insurance is not generally required in Canada if you are adequately insured in the U.S.  However to be absolutely sure, call your insurance company to confirm.  As others have pointed out, you need proof of insurance, so the card is necessary.

If you are traveling in Quebec, and if you have a collision with another vehicle, Quebec drivers carry a form in their glove compartments called a "Friendly Declaration".  It's used instead of calling the police, where each driver completes the required info of personal and vehicle identification, plus a drawing of how the accident occurred.  Each party signs the form and each party gets a copy of the form.

It's the onlyProvince following this practice...all others get the police, though in some Provinces like Ontario if the damage is less than $100, personal info can be exchanged by the drivers.

Of course if there are injuries, call 911 and get help.  You can still try calling the police, explaining you are from the U.S. in the event of a collision.

What part of our Country will you be visiting?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom